Land Cruiser 105 series ... road trips, 4wheeling

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
well, right now I've got an oem LSD from a 100 series. Nice options, didn't know that Keiser made lockers for Land Cruisers.
Here in Peru the only vehicles that have keiser locker are Mitsubishis Montero and a couple of Suzukis Samurai.

Interesting, I did not know there was an OEM LSD made for the 100 platform. Only electric or traction control. Is it viscous or torque sensing?

Yup, I know three people running kaiser in 80s, which I believe are same 3rds as in FZJ105. Kaisers are amazing LSDs off road on par with full locking differential, much more effective than typical LSDs.

The 105 is my favorite landcruiser series, would love one with a HD-1T as they are sold in central america. I keep looking for used one in Costa Rica but they sell so quickly. Happy Trails!

gerardines

Observer
I believe that LSD came from an early 100 series, it's torque sensing.
Are you sure that the 105 series in Central America came with the 1HD-T ? I know that the diesels 105 around here are without turbo and the only turbo ones are the 100 series but no intercooler version to South America.
Toyota didn't make a good match engine/chassis in the 100/105 series and everyone knows it, except for the 1FZ-FE that came in both models.

2016-12-26 (1).jpg

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I believe that LSD came from an early 100 series, it's torque sensing.
Are you sure that the 105 series in Central America came with the 1HD-T ? I know that the diesels 105 around here are without turbo and the only turbo ones are the 100 series but no intercooler version to South America.
Toyota didn't make a good match engine/chassis in the 100/105 series and everyone knows it, except for the 1FZ-FE that came in both models.

I did not know early 100s came with LSDs. USDM had e-lockers R and center 98 & 99 then only traction control after that. Rest of the world land cruisers get a lot more utilitarian features/specs than the US luxury market.

No, I'm not sure. I know of one 105 in CR with diesel, not sure which one, thought it was 1HD-t. But could be the HZ, but thought it was turbo'd The 1HD-T is my favorite Toyota engine, in every other 80 in central america. Nice chart!

Agreed, the V8 in my 100 is major PITA to wrench on, way too big for the engine bay. And who cam up with bright idea of putting started under the intake....?

gerardines

Observer
Well, almost all the 100 series cruisers here are the ones sold by the local dealer most of them 1FZ-FE, some 2UZ-FE and very few 1HD-T and just a couple of 1HD-FTE ... some 100 that were RHD imported directly from Japan and those came with the 1HD-FTE but just automatic ... jajaja
Still can't believe they didn't offered he 105 chassis with the 1HD-FTE ...

That chart is courtesy of Wikipedia :ylsmoke:

I've seen all the trouble that is to change the starter ... not the brightest idea to put it there, and that V8 is very lame, the 1FZ-FE is so much better

The_Dude

Adventurer
Just came back from the biggest off road event in Peru, Raid Duna Grande
My first time in the cruiser at the raid, the previous years had gone in the Jeep XJ ... the XJ is no match to the cruiser, the comfort. torque and power delivered by the 1FZ-FE is one of a kind, really amazed by it.

]

What are they feeding your 1fzfe? Mine does alright but has never been impressive. A workhorse nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerardines

Observer
Well probably is the fact that this engine has been completely rebuild with new oem components, even the crankshaft is new. Also the 105 series is a 5 speed and the engine has so much torque from low rpm's up to the 5500rpms when it limits the revs.
It might not be as fast as the 1GR found in the runners, tacomas and fjs but it deliveries the power so much better all the way up (the 1GR almost doesn't move below 3500 rpm) at least this is how it turns out in the dunes that we do here, very step dunes with soft sand that makes you run very low psi in the tires, below 12 in most of the 105 series and really low in the runners, tacomas and fjs like 8psi as an average.

AK.xplorer

Observer
Well probably is the fact that this engine has been completely rebuild with new oem components, even the crankshaft is new. Also the 105 series is a 5 speed and the engine has so much torque from low rpm's up to the 5500rpms when it limits the revs.
It might not be as fast as the 1GR found in the runners, tacomas and fjs but it deliveries the power so much better all the way up (the 1GR almost doesn't move below 3500 rpm) at least this is how it turns out in the dunes that we do here, very step dunes with soft sand that makes you run very low psi in the tires, below 12 in most of the 105 series and really low in the runners, tacomas and fjs like 8psi as an average.

I couldn't agree more with you. Those 5 speed manual, live front axle 105's are lovely. I believe somewhere down there in South America, there are some FZJ 70 series as well. I believe your final version of the 1fz-fe was a bit more powerful than the old 1fz-fe. I've always been curious what the differences are. Aside from the obvious changes: Intake, coil ignition, what are the other changes? Do they have different injectors? higher fuel pressure? more aggressive ignition profiles? higher compression, different camshaft profile?

The only way I've experienced a notable increase in naturally aspirated 1fz-fe power, was a shaved head, fresh valves, moderate polishing combined with a slight timing advance and a full header exhaust..

My next 1fz-fe will be stroked to 5 liter with a magnusson supercharger, I've already began collecting the parts. The head will be equipped with oversized valves. Not at all needed for overland travel, but I struggle to stop tinkering with the 1fz-fe.

Last edited:

gerardines

Observer
Haven’t been here for a while so here are some pics from this years dakar rally.
Done some work with the organization and could be around the race trackD00615E5-01C6-4741-B197-F1352B57F433.jpegF1BC31BC-7F0F-47B0-9D75-D95B77510187.jpeg6BD5F6AC-4701-4DF2-A6B3-923696D1540A.jpeg

gerardines

Observer
After 60,000kms since the build, with many kms in the dunes, highway and dirt the 105 needed some upgrades.

Modified the bumpstop to make this one fit, so it could be softer when the shocks and coils were under full compression.
325A7A5E-DA49-4A4A-942E-ADEDE0429232.jpeg

Then make the panhards adjustable.
BB947D40-64B0-44B7-BA88-C2D215F709C0.jpeg

And reinforced the tip of the front axle wich is the weak point of it.
A158FDC6-8BB3-4786-AC10-F3DCCC8751BF.jpeg

gerardines

Observer
Wow ... it’s been 2 years since the last pic
well ... the cruiser got out great from the repair shop ... at the end the chassis got a full service

Attachments

• 7464658A-AF11-4FD7-9920-5B537FE6D1E8.jpeg
    7464658A-AF11-4FD7-9920-5B537FE6D1E8.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 4CDE122F-6C5B-4F86-AE8F-CBDAED681F87.jpeg
    4CDE122F-6C5B-4F86-AE8F-CBDAED681F87.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 40

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles