TJM Fuel Tank Skid Plate for JKU on clearance at Summit Racing for cheap

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hey guys,

Summit is clearing out the Aluminum Fuel Tank Skid Plate from TJM for the JKU at $168.
That is ridiculously cheap for a quality piece.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tjm-077atfta36z/overview/
I just ordered one, and it should be here by Wednesday. Will follow up with pictures, and thoughts once it arrives.
It's a clearance deal, and not sure how many they have left.

I don't know if TJM is still making these. Couldn't find it on their web site, so probably not.

I was originally planning to break a piece of 3/16" plate, and double up the front half of the stock skid plate (where the majority of "bashing" happens), but this was just too cheap not to try.

Hope this helps someone else.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Hey guys,

Summit is clearing out the Aluminum Fuel Tank Skid Plate from TJM for the JKU at $168.
That is ridiculously cheap for a quality piece.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tjm-077atfta36z/overview/
I just ordered one, and it should be here by Wednesday. Will follow up with pictures, and thoughts once it arrives.
It's a clearance deal, and not sure how many they have left.

I don't know if TJM is still making these. Couldn't find it on their web site, so probably not.

I was originally planning to break a piece of 3/16" plate, and double up the front half of the stock skid plate (where the majority of "bashing" happens), but this was just too cheap not to try.

Hope this helps someone else.

Awesome. Do you know if it's compatible with all years? Doesn't say what years or model on Summit page.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Holy moly! Search TJM on the search bar at Summit Racing and EVERYTHING TJM is like half off including $400 dollar recovery kits marked down to $250

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That's a good question. My wild arsed guess (WAG) is 2007 through at least 2014. If you call, the guys at Summit can confirm fitment, as they have a chart.
I think you can use the application button, but not sure if all the Wranglers are listed.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Slight damage, but still a smoking good deal

The skid plate showed up today.
Packaging is pretty beat up, but the skid plate was well protected in foam sheet, and bubble wrap. One tab is bent pretty bad (circled in pictures), so I'll need to get some heat on that and straighten it back up.
Otherwise it's all there including the brackets, nuts & bolts, and in excellent shape.

Just realized the Jeep is still 3/4 tank full, and the stock skid plate needs to be hammered out before installing this over it. So it may be thirty or forty years before the tank is depleted down to almost empty in order to do the work (this jeep is pretty much a garage queen).
The instructions call for about 30 minute install time. Based on what I read, that sounds about right.

Attachments

• Fuel-Tank-Skid-Plate-Packag.jpg
    Fuel-Tank-Skid-Plate-Packag.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Fuel-Tank-Skid-underside.jpg
    Fuel-Tank-Skid-underside.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 17
  • Fuel-Tank-Skid-Plate.jpg
    Fuel-Tank-Skid-Plate.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 13

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Called summit and they said it fits the 07-14 JK, not JKU, JKU rubi etc. Emailed tjm usa and tjmaussie but haven't heard back.

Outside somewhere

I saw that and asked the guy I spoke with to dbl check, he said that was their most current info from TJM. TJM's website says it was last updated in '13 and there are no skids of theirs to be found unless it's reseller's on ebay or from Australia. Will see if I hear back from TJM by the morning, if not I'm ordering two. For that price if they don't work and I loose $30/40 on them selling them on vs paying return shipping I won't be upset.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Good point. I get the feeling like TJM is more distributor than mfg. I may be way off here though, just based off of looking over their web site.

Another option might be the two piece rugged ridge skid plate, and just use the front section. This would do the most good while keeping the weight down. I think it sells for about $179.
Otherwise, skid plates either get very heavy (like over 70lbs), or very expensive (like the other really cool aluminum skids).

Outside somewhere

Good point. I get the feeling like TJM is more distributor than mfg. I may be way off here though, just based off of looking over their web site.

Another option might be the two piece rugged ridge skid plate, and just use the front section. This would do the most good while keeping the weight down. I think it sells for about $179.
Otherwise, skid plates either get very heavy (like over 70lbs), or very expensive (like the other really cool aluminum skids).

Never heard from TJM so I called a friend who used to work for Jeep in Ohio. He said there was no difference in the tank size between 2013-15 but he wasn't sure about '16. Ordered two assuming if I do have to mod something it will be minor at most. Rockhard wants $499 for their alum tank skid so I figure I am ahead of the game even if I have to make some changes. If not even better.

Thanks for posting that.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I was looking at different skid plates, and some list from '07 to '17. Hoping this bodes well for you. :beer:
Will definitely keep my fingers crossed.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Install before the stock skid plate is beat up

Finally ran the fuel level down to the warning light.
Removed the stock skid plate to straighten the dents (it was bent all the way into the fuel tank at the front), and started the install of the TJM skid plate.
The TJM skid plate fits very tightly to the stock skid plate. This would be great if the original skid plate wasn't beat to heck. But it is a huge fight with a bent up plate, because of the stretched metal.

I'm currently at the point where it's mounted up in place, but dropped a socket inside the skid plate on one of the last bolts, so it will have to come back down... :oops: roflol!
It's a pretty big fight, but I can see where once it is mounted, it will work very well, and fit tight to the stock side plate.

It is pretty light for 5mm thick aluminum (33lbs with all the metal brackets), so only time will tell how it holds up.
Also you can see right behind the front two bolts where the plate comes down more vertical, and is welded. I think this spot is going to take some serious hits. the stock plate is designed more like a glide, for the rock to slide under. This has a pretty straight edge, that will hit the rock, and have to lift over.

Attachments

• Fuel-Tank-Skid-plate-front.jpg
    Fuel-Tank-Skid-plate-front.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Fuel-Tank-Skid-plate-rear.jpg
    Fuel-Tank-Skid-plate-rear.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 11

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hopefully Final Thoughts

Finished up last night. Ran into an issue with the transfer case skid plate bar clearance fitting through the slot of the TJM Fuel tank skid plate. Had to flatten down the end about an inch further in. No biggie. Took a few hits with a 3lbs sledge hammer.
There is also a tab that is supposed to bolt into the transmission cross member. It's about an inch short. So I'll probably just cut it off rather than drill another hole in the cross member.

All in all on a 5 star rating, based on installing on this 2014 Rubicon:

Fitment 2 stars for at least my Jeep. There may have been changes over the years, and earlier Jeeps may allow the brackets to line up better.
Quality of product: 4 stars. It seems like a quality piece. just not sure of the alloy in the aluminum for durability. Only time will tell.
Ease of install: 3 stars. Discounting the bent up stock skid plate, this should have fit better than it did. The cool part is the tank stays in place with plenty of bolts during the install.

Would I buy it again? Not at full price. If I had bought it at full price, it would have been returned for poor fitment issues.
I'd buy the two piece Rugged Ridge, and just use the front section. Or I'd buy some 3/16" plate and weld scab plates onto the stock skid. This would keep total weight down, while still protecting the tank better than stock.

For the discounted price, heck yes! The brackets are stout, it fits up against the stock skid plate nice and tight. So as long as the aluminum isn't too soft, I expect it to work out great. It will definitely get a work out, so if something happens that is worthy of your time to read, I'll post up. Otherwise, "it's a wrap"... pun intended. ;)

Attachments

• Fuel-Tank-Skid-plate-fitmen.jpg
    Fuel-Tank-Skid-plate-fitmen.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94