TJ vs JK, best bang for the buck?

Dake21

Adventurer
Vague title, so let me explain.

My wife will start having a steady (and much better) income within the next year. She'd like to ''get a small jeep'', most likely 2 doors, for more or less driving daily and some offroading when time permits. It will be mostly driven on nice summer days. I know the main difference between the two but since she does't want to get a manual, does either of the model have a good auto transmission or it is something known to have issues? Is fuel economy about the same between the two 6 cylinder (4.0 vs 3.8/3.7)
I'll be the one maintaining/fixing the vehicle so are both just as easy to work on, or one is easier than the other? What about electronics, do you have some annoying TC system you can't totally get rid off?
Bonus: could you fit 3 small kids at the back? I remember the TJ had some backseat but don't remember the detail.

Thanks guys.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Small kids in car seats? Nope. Neither. IMHO, the LJ (2 door long wheel base TJ) is the best platform, unless you are talking about a newer JK with the 3.6 motor.

BCobe

Adventurer
Honestly,I would not look at either of those platforms if I had more than one kid. Maybe a JKU but definitely not a 2 door JK, even for a short, one day wheeling event. I have not driven a TJ in quite some time but I will say that I feel that the automatic transmission on my 2014 JK is a little harsh sometimes.

Dake21

Adventurer
Nah not in car seat, just on the seats and its bonus since its not for daily driving, just for fun really. and thinking about it we'd probably leave the youngest at my mothers place if we go out, hes too young regardless.
Are the LJ as suggested basically a longer TJ?
BCode what doyou mean by harsh? Just comfort? I have a 4 speed auto and we are used to that, can't be worse really.

Last edited:

jaxyaks

Adventurer
The LJ is a longer TJ (think scrambler) I personally prefer the TJ but you may find it easier to find an automatic in the JK, The JK's seemed to be more auto than manual, the TJ's were the opposite. The bonus is you get the 4.0 reliability with the TJ for a lot less. To get a decent engine in the JK you have to look newer (pentastar engine)

Dake21

Adventurer
But how bad is the 3.8/3.7 really? I understand it is not as good as the 3.6 but is it still a healthy engine?

Healeyjet

Explorer
By twist of fate we happen to have all three at the present time. An LJ a JKU and a JK. The LJ is a 4.0L 6 Speed. The JKU is a 3.8L Auto and the JK is a 3.6L Auto. For what you are thinking of doing, if you have no car seat needs and can leave 1 child at home for a few more years, the TJ or LJ would be a great option. If the kids are young the TJ is better than the LJ as the rear window extends a couple inches lower allowing young kids to see better out the sides and stay more engaged in what is going on. Helping kids get their seat belts on in the backseat of either a TJ/LJ or a JK is a battle, a JKU makes that much easier. The JKU feels much larger than the JK (I have made thousands of miles in both). I think for the average shade tree mechanic the TJ/LJ is much easier to work on as the JK's tend to get way more electronic and thus more complicated for the average Joe. The power of the 3.6 vs the 3.8 is very nice. I like the 3.6 way better. If looking for an LJ you end up paying a premium as they are quite highly sought. Finding an Automatic in a TJ isn't easy either though. Can your wife learn to or agree to drive a standard? :smiley_drive:
EDIT : The 3.8 is fine and there are many many thousands of them in use.
Just a bunch of rambling thoughts.
Ward

MOguy

Explorer
Vague title, so let me explain.

My wife will start having a steady (and much better) income within the next year. She'd like to ''get a small jeep'', most likely 2 doors, for more or less driving daily and some offroading when time permits. It will be mostly driven on nice summer days. I know the main difference between the two but since she does't want to get a manual, does either of the model have a good auto transmission or it is something known to have issues? Is fuel economy about the same between the two 6 cylinder (4.0 vs 3.8/3.7)
I'll be the one maintaining/fixing the vehicle so are both just as easy to work on, or one is easier than the other? What about electronics, do you have some annoying TC system you can't totally get rid off?
Bonus: could you fit 3 small kids at the back? I remember the TJ had some backseat but don't remember the detail.

Thanks guys.

Up until your last requirement I would say a TJ. There are only 2 seat belts in back and even if you could safely add a third I can't imagine there being room for three child seats in the back of a TJ, let alone all the stuff that you would need to back for three young children. I have two boys (10 and 15) and space is at a premium. Plus being that tight they will eventually touch each other, that leads to other problems on longer adventures.

Dake21

Adventurer
As mentioned above it won't use car seat and beside the ''bonus'' meant is isn't a necessity, Im not making an expo rig out of this. Im just wondering If the kids can fit behind for a short trip and want to come they will and if they complain down the road they will just have to suck it up or they won't come the next time lol. Im not choosing this for the kid.

MOguy

Explorer
As mentioned above it won't use car seat and beside the ''bonus'' meant is isn't a necessity, Im not making an expo rig out of this. Im just wondering If the kids can fit behind for a short trip and want to come they will and if they complain down the road they will just have to suck it up or they won't come the next time lol. Im not choosing this for the kid.

Measure the a rear seat in a TJ. Have you kids sit on a couch and measure them. You will have your answer. It will not be possible to have three kids in the back of the TJ unless they are small enough were they should be in a car seat, if any larger they will be on top of each other. About every month my boys have buddies over night, I often take them home in my TJ. There is more room to sit 2 kids in the front passenger seat then 3 kids in the rear seat.

If you can leave a kid or two behind the TJ would be a better option based on your other requirements.

Last edited:

piratenation90

Adventurer
I love my LJ but they carry a premium price over the TJ. If it is just 2 kids that you are taking a TJ/LJ will be fine unless both of them are 12+ years old and or fight easily.

hamr26

Observer
BTW, only 2 seatbelts in rear of TJ/LJ, I found out the hard way when we promised 3 children a ride and ran out of seatbelts.

Dake21

Adventurer
I know the engine is reliable but what about the automatic trans? My wife doesnt want the manual at all...

thewas4x

All TJ/LJ models from '03-06 and all JK's from '07-11 have the same 42RLE 4-spd automatic. So that is a non-issue. The only Wrangler with 3 seatbelts in the rear seat is the 4-dr Unlimited.

I am biased, owning a long wheelbase TJ, but I recommend the simpler platform for a limited use Jeep. If you are using it daily with passengers, a JKU is best, but there I wouldn't consider anything before the '12 model. There was more than just the powertrain updated by then.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles