TJ Suspension

Alright, I know that the internet is full of information on this. That’s actually the problem. Lots of information, lots of uses, etc.

The suspension on my recently acquired TJ is tired, soooo tired.

Assuming that I need a full kit with upper and lower control arms, springs, shocks, etc. mild lift, weekend wheeling, short adventures that would consist primarily of fire roads and some mild to moderate trails with a budget of around $1000-1500, what suspension system would you recommend based on your experience?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Tons of choices, many are decent, but if was going to narrow it down I’d say go for an ARB OME Kit for a mild inexpensive yet well performing lift, or TerraFlex short arm lift for even better articulation.

2nd vote on the OME. I have run that on my daily driven 1998 TJ since 2001 and the ride quality and handling are far superior to what was factory back then.

Just figure out how heavy you will load it and ensure you order the proper coil spring to support any additional weight. i.e. bumpers, winch, tire carriers and load. Initially, I went with the HD springs but after I added a ARB bumper/ tire carrier, I was slamming my rear bumpstops whenever I was loaded down for camping or simply had my two kids and the hard top on. Ended up replacing thise coils with the heavy duty OME rear springs used in their LJ kit.

I found that emailing ARB's tech support extremely helpful and quick to respond. They really know their products and many of them still rock TJ's to this day.

As for control arms, you will be over that budget of $1500 if you do both.

I replaced mine only two years ago with the Currie arms and have been pleased.

You could just do the OME kit and a one inch body lift that way you can run 285's on a 16×8 wheel with no rubbing just to have some added off road capability.

I do strongly suggest you upgrade the steering to a HD unit such as Currie's Correctlync, I had death wobble every now and then until I upgraded.

I still daily drive my TJ and haven't wished for anything else, well maybe a LJ....

nwoods

Expedition Leader
BullDog is right on with all that. My LJ ran with a 1" body lift, and an HD OME lift on Currie short arms with an OffRoad Only (ORO) steering set up.

Although I should point out I eventually went with an AEV progressive coil 4.5" lift and Nth Degree rear spring saddles to adjust the spring angle. That was the ideal set up for me on 35" tires.
MotinaWash-20091115-04-X2.jpg

IMG_0203-X3.jpg

IMG_2341-X3.jpg

JT-NewYear2010-19-X3.jpg

BullDog is right on with all that. My LJ ran with a 1" body lift, and an HD OME lift on Currie short arms with an OffRoad Only (ORO) steering set up.

Although I should point out I eventually went with an AEV progressive coil 4.5" lift and Nth Degree rear spring saddles to adjust the spring angle. That was the ideal set up for me on 35" tires.
MotinaWash-20091115-04-X2.jpg

IMG_0203-X3.jpg

IMG_2341-X3.jpg

JT-NewYear2010-19-X3.jpg
Sweet rig!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Nathan do you miss your LJ??
Incredibly so. Miss the LR3 also, but being honest, the Jeep was unbeatable. Been messing about with cheap Montero’s last few years, but that Jeep was amazingly capable, and incredibly durable. It could handle wheeling every weekend. I’d love to buy a Brute or new Gladiator in about 4 years. That’s my dream.

pittsburgh

tacocat
I got my OME set up through DPG Off Road and I am pretty happy with it. My only regret is not getting the HD springs in the rear. It rides great but, I feel like it would handle even better if I had the HD springs in the rear as opposed to the standard ones.

Attachments

• IMG_7269.JPG
    IMG_7269.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 23

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Contact Dirk at DPG offroad. He can set you up with exactly what you need with customized OME suspension. I believe I spent ~$1200 for a custom HD 2.5" lift with JKS front and rear adjustable track bars included.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne