TJ hydro boost brake upgrade

Stroked 550

Adventurer
I have a 98 TJ that I upgraded the rears to the Wildwood disc brakes however I still have the firm pedal issue or it takes a lot of brake pressure to stop when off-roading on steep hills

Does anyone have a hydro booster upgrade recommendation?

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Without a doubt, drum requires a different amount of pressure than disk to actuate. The stock master cylinder is set for disc/drum. The proportions will always be off with the original MC, even with an increase in boost.

Good luck.

WSS

Rock Stacker
The end all solution for the TJ brake problem is the black magic brake kit. I did the front and then the rear disc conversion. I can lock up the 35 MT's on asphalt if needed. I have a 5:1 Atlas II TC and can still drive through the brakes with a little gas but way better than stock brakes, like 400% better.

I pulled the anti lock gear and put in a stock non anti lock prop valve along with new SS brakelines too.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Your reference to a "hard pedal" would typically suggest a booster problem. You may find that your vacuum booster is simply in need of replacement. TJ's generally have pretty good boosters, and you should not be getting a hard pedal unless you have converted to a diesel and the vacuum pump is failed... I am not familiar with any hydroboost retrofits, but I've honestly never looked, as there's generally no reason to... Replacing the booster if it's going "hard" would be the first step toward better brakes...

I would also suggest you stop listening to your mechanic. Drum brakes typically take LESS pressure to achieve the same braking force as compared to disc brakes. The disc brake TJ's basically have a prop valve that really doesn't proportion much. It is possible that Wilwood used a significantly larger piston for the rear disc conversion to make up for the lower pressure that the rear drum prop valve would supply, but I kinda doubt it... I'll leave that google search up to you, but if the piston size is similar to a disc TJ (or Explorer or ZJ, which all use the same caliper size) it's likely that your drum brake prop valve is likely crippling your new disc brake setup by reducing pressure more than necessary.

IF this is the case, you can swap in the prop valve from a disc brake ZJ, or a Rubicon TJ if you can find one. You will likely find that you don't really even need a prop valve, so removing yours in favor of an "adjustable" prop on the rear is another option. The rear discs will likely be much happier with a bit more pressure.

Finally, most of your braking is from the front anyway, so if you're not getting the braking you want, a front upgrade may be in order. There are "kits", like WSS pointed to above, but if your front brake rotors are glazed, they'll be far less functional than good pads and fresh rotors... A few of my friends swear by PowerStop drilled and slotted rotors, but I prefer to simply run a good set of semi-metallic pads for best braking power. Another option if you're running tires larger than 33" or a have a 6000lb TJ is doing the WJ brake conversion. Bigger rotors are always better... :)

Good luck!!

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
The end all solution for the TJ brake problem is the black magic brake kit. I did the front and then the rear disc conversion. I can lock up the 35 MT's on asphalt if needed. I have a 5:1 Atlas II TC and can still drive through the brakes with a little gas but way better than stock brakes, like 400% better.

I pulled the anti lock gear and put in a stock non anti lock prop valve along with new SS brakelines too.

This is indeed the solution.

The guy behind Black Magic Brakes couldn't throw my Wilwood calipers in the trash fast enough.

Reactions: WSS

toddz69

Explorer
The only downside I've had with my Black Magic brake pads has been pretty heavy dusting. I'll probably switch to some Raybestos pads in the future.

Todd Z.

WSS

Rock Stacker
The only downside I've had with my Black Magic brake pads has been pretty heavy dusting. I'll probably switch to some Raybestos pads in the future.

Todd Z.

Did you do the entire kit or just the pads? The 16" rotors and dual calipers coupled with the BM pads work great for me, never noticed much dust.

WSS

Rock Stacker
This is indeed the solution.

The guy behind Black Magic Brakes couldn't throw my Wilwood calipers in the trash fast enough.

Are you a so. kalian? I am always looking for TJ's to run with. We do all the Big Bear trails, Calico, a few hammers, etc..

toddz69

Explorer
Did you do the entire kit or just the pads? The 16" rotors and dual calipers coupled with the BM pads work great for me, never noticed much dust.

I did the entire kit - one of only two kits that Blaine did for early Broncos.

Todd Z.

• Wow
Reactions: WSS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94