TJ as road trip/overlander?

rnArmy

Adventurer
Im starting to think an XJ would be a good balance between the capabilities of the TJ, with the comfort of the 4runner I want. I’m not exactly a huge XJ fan (looks like a box), but if a wrangler and 4runner had a kid, I suppose the XJ would be the perfect blend of the two.
A ZJ would also be a good option, even with the 4.0.

Shown below is the one we built for a trip up the Dempster Highway a few years ago. 98 ZJ 4.0/auto. 3.5" IRO lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, a real Dana 44 rear (NOT A DANA 44A!) with 4.10 gears and true-tracs front and rear. 31x10.5x15" tires. A Rough Country winch mount up front with a 9500lb winch. The 4.0 had more than enough power for the trip, even with pulling a little trailer.

ZJ parking garage.1.jpg

Dempster trip.2.png

Last edited:

billiebob

When we lived in Yellowknife the lowest temperature we saw was -57C or-70F...... The wife and I Ieft for work within minutes of each other and my daughter favoured a ride in a new Subaru rather than a 25 year old YJ..... until she found out the 4.2L YJ was pumping out way more heat way sooner than the 2.5L Subaru..... at 50 below the ride was warmer in the Jeep with zero insulation than the brand new Subaru.

I often drove 950 miles, Yellowknife to Edmonton and the YJ was my preferred winter vehicle for that 12 hour drive.

PCO6

Adventurer
Im starting to think an XJ would be a good balance between the capabilities of the TJ, with the comfort of the 4runner I want. I’m not exactly a huge XJ fan (looks like a box), but if a wrangler and 4runner had a kid, I suppose the XJ would be the perfect blend of the two.

Now we're talking! ;) I have an LJ and an XJ plus a few other Jeeps and can tell you that I have a lot more room in my XJ. Neither are highly modified and as it they are both fairly capable.

22-05-13 4.JPG

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Big fan of the XJ!! I highly recommend them as exploration vehicles. Especially with kids. 1999 seems to be the best year out of all of them, with the better ignition and lift gate, among other features.

My daily driver is a TJ, but my adventure vehicle is a XJ. The ride is a bit more comfortable with more security.
3" lift, JL takeoff rims and tires

The XJ from a couple weeks ago.

Dirt on the tires by Tim, on Flickr

billiebob

road trip vs overland.....

the TJ is great as an overlander but if it is pretty primative. For a road trip this might be a better choice / opposite extreme

Last edited:

Eric_

A ZJ would also be a good option, even with the 4.0.

Shown below is the one we built for a trip up the Dempster Highway a few years ago. 98 ZJ 4.0/auto. 3.5" IRO lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, a real Dana 44 rear (NOT A DANA 44A!) with 4.10 gears and true-tracs front and rear. 31x10.5x15" tires. A Rough Country winch mount up front with a 9500lb winch. The 4.0 had more than enough power for the trip, even with pulling a little trailer.

View attachment 726695

View attachment 726696
Now we're talking! ;) I have an LJ and an XJ plus a few other Jeeps and can tell you that I have a lot more room in my XJ. Neither are highly modified and as it they are both fairly capable.

View attachment 726671
Big fan of the XJ!! I highly recommend them as exploration vehicles. Especially with kids. 1999 seems to be the best year out of all of them, with the better ignition and lift gate, among other features.

My daily driver is a TJ, but my adventure vehicle is a XJ. The ride is a bit more comfortable with more security.
3" lift, JL takeoff rims and tires

The XJ from a couple weeks ago.

Dirt on the tires by Tim, on Flickr
Sweet rigs! I always forget about the ZJ and WJ having solid axles. So, that gives me 3 solid options lol. Were the ZJ and WJ also unibody? I know that tends to be an issue with XJs. Also, If I went with later model Cherokees, should I go for V8 or i6? which was more reliable?

PCO6

Adventurer
Sweet rigs! I always forget about the ZJ and WJ having solid axles. So, that gives me 3 solid options lol. Were the ZJ and WJ also unibody? I know that tends to be an issue with XJs. Also, If I went with later model Cherokees, should I go for V8 or i6? which was more reliable?

The term Jeep used for the XJ was "uniframe" which I guess they felt sounded stronger than unibody. :unsure: All Cherokees from the XJ on are unibodies and there are various weld on kits available to stiffen the frame rails. I've had many I6 4.0 litre motors and have never had any issues with them. I'm not as familiar with the V8s ... BUT ...

I recently acquired a WK and I wouldn't rule them out either. They're of an age now (2005-2010) that prices have probably bottomed out or are close to it and good deals can be made. I don't know what I'm going to do with this fully loaded '05 with a 5.7 litre Hemi yet but I'm kindofsortofthinkingImight build it for mild off road / overlanding use. They're quite capable Jeeps ... on Youtube at least. :giggle:

My before & maybe after(?) ...

thumbnail (1).jpgthumbnail (5).jpg

Eric_

Would you guys consider this a good deal for an XJ? 170k, 4x4, 4.0 Auto. clean in and out, but salvage title from side impact.

F4F3FF57-F4E5-4785-A201-A72F1961E806.jpeg
A24D1D21-721B-46E2-A9DA-970585DFDBE1.jpegD148F77A-077D-48BF-B49A-9291733EFD96.jpeg

billiebob

Would you guys consider this a good deal for an XJ? 170k, 4x4, 4.0 Auto. clean in and out, but salvage title from side impact.

View attachment 727155
View attachment 727156View attachment 727157
These are the deals you need to ask your insurance company about.... what do they value it at is all that counts.

But no 24 year old Cherokee with stories is worth $5K.

Heres a 100K mile 1998 Cherokee, no stories, near perfect, all original. It just sold on BaT for $10K... there are good deals out there... this salvage title might be one but not at $8000 / $6500 / offer $4000. The guy is obviously desperate. And find out about insurance first.

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
I'd consider the salvage title. That XJ looks ok in the photos. The price is not outrageous for the times.

But I'd make sure of two things: being street legal and insurable.

I think some states, like Ohio perhaps, will not let you title a salvage vehicle for road use. I know many states will. At least thats what I think I know. I would also ask an insurance agent about coverage before purchasing.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Any Jeep would be a perfect Overlanding. Prep accordingly, drive accordingly, take breaks and stretch and you'll have a great time. Long before RRT, Engel Fridges and Snow Peak Titanium Sporks we drove and explored in our 1994 Samurai, literally for the fun of it. One of our many 800-1000 mile R/T trips.FA8A12E8-098D-402E-ACA1-5D08240A7875.jpeg

billiebob

Any Jeep would be a perfect Overlanding. Prep accordingly, drive accordingly, take breaks and stretch and you'll have a great time. Long before RRT, Engel Fridges and Snow Peak Titanium Sporks we drove and explored in our 1994 Samurai, literally for the fun of it. One of our many 800-1000 mile R/T trips.View attachment 727158
Gawd I wish they still made those..... I'd LOVE an electric version today.

We have friends in Cody, will have to find, visit, say Hello if we come back. My Uncle lived in Golden for 30 years.
In 2012??? we were in Golden looking at a Tesla. The owner came up asked if we wanted a ride...... lol we were in instantly. I must say I'm a baby boomer who got his drivers license at the peak of the muscle car boom..... that Tesla was more impressive than a Vette with a 427. And silent.

I'm a huge minimalist fan. A firm believer in the western philosophy of just gittin 'er done. We seem to have moved past that.

Last edited:

Eric_

Gawd I wish they still made those..... I'd LOVE an electric version today.

We have friends in Cody, will have to find, visit, say Hello if we come back. My Uncle lived in Golden for 30 years.
In 2012??? we were in Golden looking at a Tesla. The owner came up asked if we wanted a ride...... lol we were in instantly. I must say I'm a baby boomer who got his drivers license at the peak of the muscle car boom..... that Tesla was more impressive than a Vette with a 427. And silent.

I'm a huge minimalist fan. A firm believer in the western philosophy of just gittin 'er done. We seem to have moved past that.
It’s a shame they don’t sell the new jimny in the U.S. probably not a lot of money to be made is a small 2Dr, but I’d sure love one.

As for electric cars, I’d love one as a daily. However, even with all the super chargers, I can’t imagine a 20hr drive being too pleasant lol.

billiebob

It’s a shame they don’t sell the new jimny in the U.S. probably not a lot of money to be made is a small 2Dr, but I’d sure love one.

As for electric cars, I’d love one as a daily. However, even with all the super chargers, I can’t imagine a 20hr drive being too pleasant lol.
chicken tax is why foriegn trucks are not here.... chicken tax and the UAW..... 1964??

Eric_

187k miles, 4.0.
clean title.
Automatic
2Door
5,500 firm on price.

seems like a solid deal? Almost too good for a 2dr. Opinions?
A6BCD823-7B00-47B7-8F30-BE0B15C299D1.jpeg49FCA7E5-9F87-44A2-89F9-481B94707937.jpeg61A1BECC-5827-4380-AA8F-81A66FA26521.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior