TJ as road trip/overlander?

billiebob

Every market is different but $5500 seem like a lot of money for something 25 years old and so obviously driven hard.

TripLeader

Explorer
Seems like a fair deal for the 2 door to me; not the best, not the worst. Assuming it is in road worthy condition.

I would expect to quickly put $2500 into any used vehicle of that age and mileage after the purchase.

I would not buy anything rusty or heavily modified. Definitely look at the floorboards from below. Know what the suspension looks like and how much life it has. I would bet that thing has gone through a couple of sets in 24 years. While you're looking at the undercarriage check for dents and scrapes from rock crawling. If present, you know its been wheeled--less preferable than buying a mall crawler.

I suggest finding gravel and putting it into 4WD during the test drive. Don't assume it works before you buy.

I would also inquire about the gear ratio (3.07, 3.73, or 4.10) and rear axle (Dana 35 vs 44, or maybe Ford 8.8 could've made its way in there). Its good to know before you buy if you are planning a lift or bigger tires. It looks like it might already have a couple of inches and 31s or 33s.

Some 4.0s have been known to leak oil. Overall it was a good engine for Jeep/Chrysler.

Some people are in love with the 2 door XJ model.

Anyway, that's some unsolicited advice from me. Probably all stuff you already knew.

billiebob

I had an LJ for a year but sold it cuz it was too big. I had no need for 16 more inches inside and hated the longer wheelbase. I'm back in a TJR for the past 10 years and agree the newer Rubicons are way too complicated.

That said the LJR and TJR are virtually identical.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Back to the original question....

I just came back from a 3500-mile three-week overland trip. We did the IDBDR, then came down south and picked up the Pacific Ocean Spur ("POS") portion of the TAT and took it to the Pacific Ocean (figure the POS is going from the east border of OR to the Pacific Ocean much of it off road). Awesome trip. Maybe 1000 miles of that 3500 was highway (or highway-ish).

Did it in my 98 TJ with the 2.5/five-speed, 3.5" lift, 33" tires, 4.88 gears, Dana 44 rear, etc. etc. etc. Pulled a small trailer doing it too.

Jeep did fine. Wasn't the fastest, but it got you there. And when off pavement no problem. Lead vehicle in the picture below.

So yes, you definitely can take a TJ on a road trip or an overlanding trip. I've done it numerous times.

IDBDR.3.jpg

IDBDR.1aaa.PNG

Last edited:

billiebob

Back to the original question....

I just came back from a 3500-mile three-week overland trip. We did the IDBDR, then came down south and picked up the POS portion of the TAT and took it to the Pacific Ocean. Awesome trip. Maybe 1000 miles of that was highway (or highway-ish).

Did it in my 98 TJ with the 2.5/five-speed, 3.5" lift, 33" tires, 4.88 gears, Dana 44 rear, etc. etc. etc. Pulled a small trailer doing it too.

Jeep did fine. Wasn't the fastest, but it got you there. And when off pavement no problem. Lead vehicle in the picture below.

So yes, you definitely can take a TJ on a road trip or an overlanding trip. I've done it numerous times.

View attachment 738165

View attachment 738167
This vehicle is always an inspiration for me, I like, love small TJs, but this combination of SE and light EXPO trailer tell me I have to get more imaginative, dedicated to down sizing what I have. So much of overland bound is about bigger, better.... or just bigger, bigger, bigger.... we need a thread themed smaller, littler, tiny. Which is where I am at.

My unit is 4.0L TJR with a 5x10 Square Drop.... I have solar refigeration and was ready to add propane cooking but I overbilt the refrigeration, solar and am now ready to go Inverter, induction hot plate, kettle and forgo the complications of propane.

I'm also trying to figure out how to lose the trailer and add a Cabelos Camp Cot on the roof.

rnArmy

Adventurer
This vehicle is always an inspiration for me, I like, love small TJs, but this combination of SE and light EXPO trailer tell me I have to get more imaginative, dedicated to down sizing what I have. So much of overland bound is about bigger, better.... or just bigger, bigger, bigger.... we need a thread themed smaller, littler, tiny. Which is where I am at.

My unit is 4.0L TJR with a 5x10 Square Drop.... I have solar refigeration and was ready to add propane cooking but I overbilt the refrigeration, solar and am now ready to go Inverter, induction hot plate, kettle and forgo the complications of propane.

I'm also trying to figure out how to lose the trailer and add a Cabelos Camp Cot on the roof.

I totally agree - too many folks think you have to have everything bigger and better. And truthfully, I probably didn't use over 75 - 80% of what I had packed in or on the trailer. A lot of stuff I bring is just because I can (there's so much you can put inside even a little 4' trailer). And the stuff I do use I can downsize if needed.

Dan Grec did his epic trip with a 2.5 TJ to the tip of South America with no trailer or roof rack. And with some downsizing/right-sizing, I could overland in the TJ without the trailer just fine (I call it "backpacking plus").

To mount the Cabela's Tent Cot (or similar Tent Cot): Just remove the outer legs, and bolt it down. I bolted mine on two pieces of aluminum channel to spread the load. The issue is getting into it.

But I've gotta admit - I love my lil' trailer, and what it allows me to bring. It is lightweight (I built it), but it'll take a beating - it does not get babied. Too bad I suck at backing it up (with these little trailers and backing up - one wrong little twitch of the steering wheel and you're jack-knifed).

Interested in building a little Harbor Freight based overlanding trailer like mine? Here's the link. Admittedly, it has gotten long. But that's good! It is very thorough, and if you read the whole thing you should be ready to build your own lil' adventure trailer. Let me know how I can help you.

Link: Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread | Jeep Enthusiast Forums (jeepforum.com)

Tent cot Cover.3.jpg

I've been intrigued by this Rev Tent RTT thingy - I keep going back and looking at the site when thinking about overlanding with the TJ minus the trailer:

Link: THE REV TENT by C6 Outdoor

It is lightweight (even with the optional roof rack tray) as I don't want something heavy on my TJ's roof, and I don't want a big external cage on my Jeep. This Rev Tent can be used on the roof or on the ground. And it is not expensive (comparatively). I'd like something I could mount directly to the fiberglass top on my TJ (mine is an aftermarket Bulldawg fiberglass top in case you're wondering). I'm less worried about the wind resistance driving as I am about the weight (tent plus my 215 pounds). Tent plus platform plus ladder is just over 80 pounds.

There's even a thread about this tent on the Expedition Portal:

Link: C6 rev tent | Expedition Portal

C6 tent.2.PNG

C6 tent.PNG

Last edited:

billiebob

I've been intrigued by this Rev Tent RTT thingy - I keep going back and looking at the site when thinking about overlanding with the TJ minus the trailer:

Link: THE REV TENT by C6 Outdoor
The only negative is once set up the Jeep is locked to the site. I'll never do that, I want an RTT ?? that does not need struts to support it nor a ground ladder. I want to be able to move if the wind, sun are wrong or if the lake is rising and I step our into water next morning.

With 2 TJs now, the one parked in the driveway has my imagination running... how to cut the roof and literally build a single wide Cabellos Camp Cot on the rollbar.... opening left and right.... with a ladder off the rear bumper..... or off the front bumper with a deck over the hood......

My best ideas are often completely unrealistic.

EDIT....
I completely forgot about my favourite RTT... The one you can still drive around while fully setup.
This is the only RTT I love plus it has a massive sheltered opening. Free Spirit builds a great fast setup RTT.

DSC_0063.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94