Titan swap vs ome vs Nisstec extended travel kit

Jc1986.carter

I’m looking for opinions on the three variants of lifting above. I have read a lot of forums and other resources on the subject but, I would like some real world takes on the three.

Is the titan swap with a m205 swap worth the hassle if it’s for dd and camping? I’m more interested in the m205 than the lift but, the titan swap seems to be the “best” options.

jackflash

Observer
I have had a full OME lift (HD Front, MD Rear) for almost 100k miles. It is my DD and work/adventure rig. I like the setup very much. I've had zero issues with the stock front diff (r180). I'd say about 30% of the miles have been in 4wd, everything from gravel to forest service to 4x4 roads. No rock crawling.

If the front diff ever lets go, I'll put the m205 in there. I won't do a full Titan swap though, as I do not want a wider track.

leeleatherwood

Is the titan swap with a m205 swap worth the hassle if it’s for dd and camping? I’m more interested in the m205 than the lift but, the titan swap seems to be the “best” options.

The Titan swap significantly changes the driving dynamics of the vehicle. It feels more sporty and planted and the ride quality is just better overall, it is very noticeable.

With that being said, is it worth the extra $$ for dd and camping? Its debatable, I think the improved ride quality and improved looks from the wider track width are worth it to me. I think depending on the type of camping you do, the m205 can offer a greater peace of mind that you will be able to make it back home, and that itself is worth money too.

I am sure OME suspension greatly increases ride quality as well, but I do not have experience with that.

Dmski

Adventurer
I've actually done all 3, sort of... I started with the OME MD complete lift. After that, I installed a spacer, UCA's and Adjustable shackles out back to essentially get to a 3" lift setup. It honestly rode pretty well, had pretty good road manners and did most everything. My complaint is and always will be the OME leaves are squeaky and creak but I never wanted to pony up for a set of Alcans. Time will tell though... I wanted better gearing, rear elocker, the travel and look of a t swap however so I went to the M205 and swapped in a rear elocker axle out back. I have retained the adjustable shackles and OME leaf setup out back and have gone the Tundra bilstein coils up front with Rough country UCA's in titan width. I love how it looks and rides now except I've been unimpressed with the OME leaves. They work, but definitely bug me anytime I hear them pop or squeak.

Personally, I would jump straight to the Titan Swap lift and not look back, depending on your configuration. It is really easy to do if you have an automatic in 3.36 gears right out of the box. It's more work and cost to do what I did, however, I've managed to keep cost low by doing everything myself and reselling most of the stock width parts. If you think you are going to wheel your rig or want more out of it, the titan swap is hard to beat. It's best to buy once cry once than do it 3 times over...

I've actually done all 3, sort of... I started with the OME MD complete lift. After that, I installed a spacer, UCA's and Adjustable shackles out back to essentially get to a 3" lift setup. It honestly rode pretty well, had pretty good road manners and did most everything. My complaint is and always will be the OME leaves are squeaky and creak but I never wanted to pony up for a set of Alcans. Time will tell though... I wanted better gearing, rear elocker, the travel and look of a t swap however so I went to the M205 and swapped in a rear elocker axle out back. I have retained the adjustable shackles and OME leaf setup out back and have gone the Tundra bilstein coils up front with Rough country UCA's in titan width. I love how it looks and rides now except I've been unimpressed with the OME leaves. They work, but definitely bug me anytime I hear them pop or squeak.
At what Mileage on the packs did you hear the squeaks?
Around 15k /7mo and I haven't heard anything yet, wondering when this might appear.

Dmski

Adventurer
At what Mileage on the packs did you hear the squeaks?
Around 15k /7mo and I haven't heard anything yet, wondering when this might appear.

I think it’s a case-by-case basis. I experienced it almost right out of the gate even with proper lubing and using polybushings. I’ve switched back to the rubber bushings and periodically wash out the leaves and reverse in between them but it’s not perfect. I’ve had mine on now for 50k miles and while they are functioning properly and they do have a good spring rate and load carrying capacity I still find them to be annoying at times. There’s a thread on thenewx about the popping and squeaking issues and there are a few solutions if it crops up.

jackflash

Observer
I would not use the Poly Bushings with the OME kit. Around 20 or 25k they deteriorated badly and squeaked terribly. After that I replaced them with Rubber Bushings and the pretty much fixed the issue for me.

bigskypylot

Explorer
No, its not IMO.
Just do the OME and call it a day, great ride quality.
The Titan Swap is much better in terms of ride quality etc. That being said, it's a lot to do. I wished I had done it from the get go but finally getting around d to it. Not just a Titan swap, but a full Titan swap. You'll be happy with either

bigskypylot

Explorer

Personally, I would jump straight to the Titan Swap lift and not look back, depending on your configuration. It is really easy to do if you have an automatic in 3.36 gears right out of the box. It's more work and cost to do what I did, however, I've managed to keep cost low by doing everything myself and reselling most of the stock width parts. If you think you are going to wheel your rig or want more out of it, the titan swap is hard to beat. It's best to buy once cry once than do it 3 times over...

Exactly what I would do if I was starting out. It'll save you some headaches and $$$ in the long-term

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles