TIRES vs MPG

MOguy

Explorer
The Swampers are a bias ply tire. Bias ply tires have a higher rolling resistance and therefore poorer fuel economy.
I also have had TrXus MTs* (33X12.5) and Goodyear MTRs (33X12.5s and 35X12.5).
They all averaged around 12 mpgs. The ATs have averaged around 15. When I lived in SoCAL I did allot of freeway commuting and at about 65mph the 35s did get better that the aggressive 33s. I don't do any freeway commuting now so I don't know how the would compare to the 33 ATs.

*If you want a very good aggressive tire (on and off road, rocks, mud, slick rock, rain, snow...) and don't mind a tire that wears fast the TrXus MTs are something to consider.

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Tried many tires and remember the 7.50 and 8.50 tires from back in the "50s and early '60s (no wish to revisit those low traction days).
Personally, since I am now older with, hopefully, more sense and (and disposable income), I really could care less about fuel mileage (if I wanted mileage I would not drive the TJR (but some under powered 2wd econobox instead).
For me tires are all about traction (for both on road braking and off road travel).
Since my legs are short I will sick with medium width (12.50 section, for the flotation) 33 inch mud tires... If I were to decide to go back onto the rocks I would install a tummy tuck/raise the engine, transmission and transfer case to approximate 35 inch tire clearance/break-over with the 33s..
If you want a bit better mileage, you can try using 2 sets of tires ('though switching them back and forth for off road trips is too much hassle for me).
For slightly better fuel mileage (but worse traction/braking (stopping distance), tire life, and ride; run the road tires near the top of their rated pressure on road.
Narrow tires can typically give better on road mileage than wider treads (though often worse braking) and, depending on the surface, can tend to sink/turn into trenching machines(get you stuck if there is no bottom, off road.
Lighter tires and wheels will typically improve braking (stopping distance) but since large, deep, tread blocks tend to weigh more, often have worse mud & loose terrain traction.
Fewer plies can contribute to lower weight but can result in punctured sidewalls; I do not use tires with fewer than 3 sidewall plies (actual not rated).

Enjoy!

MOguy

Explorer
Tried many tires and remember the 7.50 and 8.50 tires from back in the "50s and early '60s (no wish to revisit those low traction days).
Personally, since I am now older with, hopefully, more sense and (and disposable income), I really could care less about fuel mileage (if I wanted mileage I would not drive the TJR (but some under powered 2wd econobox instead).
For me tires are all about traction (for both on road braking and off road travel).
Since my legs are short I will sick with medium width (12.50 section, for the flotation) 33 inch mud tires... If I were to decide to go back onto the rocks I would install a tummy tuck/raise the engine, transmission and transfer case to approximate 35 inch tire clearance/break-over with the 33s..
If you want a bit better mileage, you can try using 2 sets of tires ('though switching them back and forth for off road trips is too much hassle for me).
For slightly better fuel mileage (but worse traction/braking (stopping distance), tire life, and ride; run the road tires near the top of their rated pressure on road.
Narrow tires can typically give better on road mileage than wider treads (though often worse braking) and, depending on the surface, can tend to sink/turn into trenching machines(get you stuck if there is no bottom, off road.
Lighter tires and wheels will typically improve braking (stopping distance) but since large, deep, tread blocks tend to weigh more, often have worse mud & loose terrain traction.
Fewer plies can contribute to lower weight but can result in punctured sidewalls; I do not use tires with fewer than 3 sidewall plies (actual not rated).

Enjoy!

I think many here are wanting more range. Even ATs get good traction now days. A nicer, quitter ride aint bad either.

When I wheeled at off-road parks mileage wasn't an issue but not that I roaming though the woods range greater range is advantageous. I don't need real aggressive tires anymore. Changing tires I gained about 20% more range.

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Inside the continental US range is normally just a matter of another/more fuel stop(s); for multi day off road trips I normally just carry an extra 10 gallons or so, in addition to the 20 gallon vehicle tank; a far cry from the old flat fender days with their 10 gallon tanks.
...I too have gotten away from the more intense wheeling and its need for the best/highest traction tires... tried the "NEW" style ATs (Goodyear) there is a little traction improvement over the old style ATs IMO (they still packup in mud and do not do well on loose hills and will not float in really deep snow.... I will stick with mud tires on and off road... currently trying to put enough wear on these new style AT tires to justify replacing them with good mud tires.

I am certain that folks that do not wheel on unmaintained trails will be happy with AT tires. (new or old style)... pretty much any tire will work on the street, maintained or semi maintained roads.

Enjoy!

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
The right amount is the best amount. No implication of undesirable abstinence. Instead of installing the biggest tires possible then discovering that has disadvantages - then immediately turning around and going to the smallest tire possible - maybe it would be wise to commit a bit of analysis up front and install optimally sized tires on the vehicle. That size may very well be somewhere in between the extremes. It also might be an extreme if analysis bears that out. There is no suggestion that lagom anything can't be close to an extreme, though in practice I doubt it often is so.

I was merely trying to translate it, lol. I almost never even consider bigger tyres for anything, except if it's on vehicle/ride and there isn't a good tyre size for that size rim. I'm not really a tinkerer when it comes to setting up a four-wheeler.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I run a 35" on the GMC Sierra. I noticed the BFG A/Ts were terrible: MPG was about the same, but they only lasted ~20,000 before separating and the truck struggle to turn the wheels at a stop. I swapped to Hankook Dynapros from how happy I was on another vehicle: they are wearing better, quieter, and the truck can steer at a top with zero issues.

I agree with what some have said: I rather have range than aggressiveness.

MOguy

Explorer
Inside the continental US range is normally just a matter of another/more fuel stop(s); for multi day off road trips I normally just carry an extra 10 gallons or so, in addition to the 20 gallon vehicle tank; a far cry from the old flat fender days with their 10 gallon tanks.
...I too have gotten away from the more intense wheeling and its need for the best/highest traction tires... tried the "NEW" style ATs (Goodyear) there is a little traction improvement over the old style ATs IMO (they still packup in mud and do not do well on loose hills and will not float in really deep snow.... I will stick with mud tires on and off road... currently trying to put enough wear on these new style AT tires to justify replacing them with good mud tires.

I am certain that folks that do not wheel on unmaintained trails will be happy with AT tires. (new or old style)... pretty much any tire will work on the street, maintained or semi maintained roads.

Enjoy!
My gain in extended range is equivalent to carry around an additional four gallons of fuel. I am in a TJ and space is at a minimum. I do care around a 5-gallon jug I don't want to carry around two of those.

I was concerned about mud packing in the ATs also, but I was pleasantly surprised to see my Falken ATs clean out quicker some peoples mud tires that I wheel with. They don't have his deep of lugs and they're not going to get the same traction as some MTs but they surprised me. I have lockers and I have a winch. I haven't had a problem on the muddy Trails or the Rocks I've been on.

On rocks my Falken ATs grip as good or better super swampers did, and much much much better on wet slick rock.

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
For my driving carrying extra fuel is normally a waste of time; even after going to a 15 gallon (from a 20 gallon) tank on the CJ, to gain departure angle; I only carried extra fuel once to see if I could make one extended stop on the interstate (...didn't work. Now I know that the distance between those 2 stations is too far and I fuel up one station earlier). Even with the TJR and its 20 gallon tank I normally stop at the same stations/intervals since I'm used to the interval and could only save about 10 minutes per stop by eliminating one or 2 stops on that 850 mile trip/run (I also stop to drain coffee; not just to fuel up).

My best advice is do what works for you.
I will continue to not use AT tires because they do not work as well for me. (Although I will likely continue to try things that others say is an improvement, and point out the reasons why I do not agree with things that do not work as well for me).
Everyone is different, and has different desires and goals; there is no single Best answer/solution that fits everyone.

On the rocks, in deep snow/mud/sand and on loose surfaces Boggers provided the best traction and flotation (performance) of any tire that I have had before or since; their extremely soft compound (like Swampers) makes them a very poor choice for the street, however; so I normally go for a medium/lesser traction mud tire like a BFG tire since truly excellent traction is rarely needed even off road... and I don't have to bother switching tires before & after trips...

Enjoy!

doug720

Expedition Leader
BB,

Can you post the specific model of the Yokohama 7.50R16's, or a sidewall picture? I can't find that tire on their site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94