Tires too wide?

digitaldelay

Explorer
Well, the calculator at 1010tires.com says 7.5-9.5. What vehicle are these going on? Seems like kind of a funny size to me.

Jason

FellowTraveler

Explorer
I want honest opinions. Will a 16"x7" wheels be too narrow for a 295/75r16 tire?

Good tire size if e rated and I'm guessing 2 or 3 ply sidewalls too, while the smallest suggested rim size is 7.50" that's only .50" wider than what you have IMHO .25" less on each side of tire is will not be an issue however you do need to adjust air pressure so entire tread will contact road surface. I have run many tires on narrower rims w/o any issues whatsoever if air pressure is adjusted like I mentioned.

Betarocker

Adventurer
I have seen 315mm width tires on 7" rims without issue, other than getting good tread wear requires more figuring with air pressure.

elee

Observer
I do know pressure is the key to even wear first hand. As to the shop that installed my tires ran them too high and I didnt bother checking until it was too late to save them. How would I determine a good pressure to run?

Melody

You get better rim protection with a narrower rim. Your tire may wear a bit in the center if you do a lot of highway driving with over inflated tires.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
I do know pressure is the key to even wear first hand. As to the shop that installed my tires ran them too high and I didnt bother checking until it was too late to save them. How would I determine a good pressure to run?

Chalk over the tire surface then drive on it for short distance see where the chalk is still on tire, the middle then too much air, the edges then not enough air. This works with water too if you have a smooth surface to view tire tracks.

Another point is from the pressure you finally determine to be good use the load tables on the door jamb or where this table sticker is on your ride.

UHAULER

Explorer
I wouldn't do it . I've ran 295/75/16 on two trucks, a 93 f250 and my current truck, an 02 f350. both times I was thinking about using the stock 7" wide rims but switched to 8" rims. This is just one opinion, as I have seen trucks on 315/75/16 on stock 7" rims.

Mrk1

Adventurer
i run 315/75/16 on a 7inch wide, works fine. If I ever change rims ill look for an 8 but for now i dont think twice about it

tacr2man

Adventurer
You can physically get them on , but tyre manufacturers recommend wider for a reason . The other thing to consider especially in view of your country of residence, as its a big factor in UK as well is what happens if things go pear shaped and liability becomes a factor . JMHO

elee

Observer
Unless I can come across some 17" wheels that look decent on my truck I will be going to back to my old ways of running 285's on my stock wheels. I will just chalk test them first

ludeykrus

Observer
Sounds good. I settled on 285/75-16's on my 99 F250, never saw anyone completely happy with having 315's, and 285's are the max recommended width.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior