Tires... I am due for set. What are you rockin' on your Gen 3 Monty?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Cooper S/T Maxx 265/75/16 E load
This is my second set!
These tires fit my needs.
Strong sidewalls- these are a 3-ply sidewall
Works well for the type of off-highway driving the Gen III sees
Works well in many different terrains.

montypower

Adventure Time!
BFG Ko2 - 34x10.5R17 : Fits no problem. Just source some 17" wheels could be from Mitsu or Toyota or ???
There is no better all around tire than the Ko2. The price does reflect this. But well worth it. Quiet, durable, snowflake rated

I've also run the 255/85R16 on factory wheels.

I am running the Editor’s Choice and Value Award from this test:

Same width as OEM, but I went up on the aspect ratio (sidewall height) a bit for ground clearance. No rubbing.

These are fantastic in snow, rain, and dry. Very quiet on the freeway running OEM psi (from the sticker on the doorjam).

This weekend we will get them offroad a bit and I will let you know how they do.

Bought them at Discount Tire. They matched online prices, and I put them on a Discount Tire credit card to save 20%, and we just paid the card off... SCORE!

James

MoabRefugee

Observer
As a note, the ko2s came out a year later than that article and the follow up article reviewed them very well.
The Cooper's are solid and very popular tires. The KO2 is far better offroad, but the Cooper gets the nod for highway and shallow snow. I was stunned by the KO2's winter performance. I reallly didn't expect much(3PMSF requires only 200% increase in longitudinal grip iirc), but even coming from the perspective of a former ice driving instructor and tire tester for Bridgestone, they perform more than adequately for everything but Hooning around on ice. The Monty understeers too much for that, unless you prod the heck out of it IMO. You really can't go wrong with any of the suggestions here.

rhoyle

Anyone have specific experience with the TerrainContact from Continental? The reviews are fantastic; I’m wondering if they’re not a better choice for me than the Coopers. I’m on the K02s now, and they're great but the weight can’t be helping my gas mileage or general wear and tear. In the end, they’re more tire than I need.

As much as I’d rather it be different, I spend 20,000 miles on roads (19000 on paved roads) for every 50 miles I spend off road.

Last edited:

rhoyle

im currently using duratracs 235/85 r16 . great tire in all conditions . i have a 2002 gen3

My Gen3 came with Duratracs in that size. On the OME Lift, and they were awful. Harsh and twitchy on the road. The 265/75R16 K02s are a HUGE improvement.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
im currently using duratracs 235/85 r16 . great tire in all conditions . i have a 2002 gen3

I had BFG TA A/T KO 235/85R16 on my gen 3 for 35K miles. Certainly the worst size tire for this truck. Made it handle terrible. I can't believe anybody would recommend this size tire for this vehicle.

Skidmarkart

Observer
hey pard, i might suggest a trip to Discount Tire

i see several within shouting distance

you might ask one of the guys at the desk about what they have that would meet your plans/dreams

almost as if not more important when considering dropping a chunk of change on tires is ¿ WHO WILL STAND BEHIND ? whatever i buy

same goes for batteries

there are often times some really good potential solutions out there that folks in other areas don't have a clue about

and i have personally had experience with DT's guarantee program with very good/economical results not to mention the tires i got from them jumped thru every hoop i put in front of them

just a suggestion

T

Yeah, there's one close to my house. I go there for my cars. Great shop. Good prices and friendly folks. When I buy, I'll definitely check them out first.

265/75/16 Falken Wildpeak AT3 (32.2") OME and Bilstein 4600
Great combo, no complaints, has the snowflake tattoo.

Those Falken AT3 seem like they will be my #1 choice right now. They're well reviewed (here and elsewhere) and the price cannot be beat!

BTW - you rims look great! Did you paint those? Mine are getting to the age where they're no long silver, and I have been thinking of doing this myself. I'd love to powdercoat them, but it's spendy at this point in my Monty's life for such a procedure. So rattle can is looking better for the job.

montypower

Adventure Time!
For sure would have rubbed like 7734 on my '05 without a lift, and probably would also with my current OME mediums.

Lift does not change the clearance... unless you limit the suspension travel. Suspension compression travel remains the same lifted or not.

I tested clearance with springs removed through the entire suspension range and steering range. Body lift or extending bump stops will allow better fitment. For G3 Monty, you can easily clear 33" tires or skinny 34" tires. I did a bunch of trimming and couldn't get 35x12.5s to fit under full compression (with plenty of trimming including 1" front fender cut/roll). Width is tough. Wheel backspacing makes a difference too. I was running wheel spacers with the 255/85 (tall skinny 33s). Ran aftermarket 17s with hub rings for the skinny 34s - increased track width.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I have been running Toyo Open Country AT2 in P265/70r17. They have worked well on snowy/icy roads in 4H (AWD). Offroad, I have yet to get stuck somewhere with them. They do make more road noise than the Cooper tires. I'm at about 30k miles and have more than half of the tread life left.

surfrig

Surfrig
Yes, I painted the rims with Duplicolor wheel coating, matte black and matte clearcoat. I did about 5 coats of black and 3 of clear. I used 3M sanding pads to remove the flaky clear coat and to thoroughly scuff the surface by hand. Then I wiped the wheel with Duplicolor grease and wax remover get the dust off. So far they are holding up perfectly. It has been about a year now.
I bought my Falkens at Discount, I still think that they are a lot of bang for the buck.
Bonus, the spare fits on the door carrier with no trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94