Tires for Lightweight Vehicles

apgamer

I am having an issue locating proper AT or MT tires for a lightweight vehicle.

I have a 99 Isuzu Amigo with a light lift that I would like to fit 265/75r16 tires on. I currently am running the General Grabber AT2 in 245/70r16, which I think is a great tire. This size is P-rated, which is perfect for the little Amigo's weight (3500 lbs.).

I would like to buy a set of slightly larger, slightly more aggressive all-terrains, but not in an LT-E configuration. It would ride like a dumptruck with those sidewalls.

From my research, it looks like Cooper AT-3 in B or C, along with Duratracs in C are my only real options unless I switch to 15" wheels.

I really, really wish General would make the AT2 in a C.

Anyone have any ideas?

tommudd

Explorer
I've ran a set of 265-75-16 Duratracs on my 04 Jeep Liberty in the regular "P" rating for the last 90,000 miles
Did real good for me, rotated every 3-3500 miles. Couldn't believe they lasted that long
Did real well over all, rode good, not too heavy, never had an issue getting where I wanted to go on or off road

apgamer

I've ran a set of 265-75-16 Duratracs on my 04 Jeep Liberty in the regular "P" rating for the last 90,000 miles
Did real good for me, rotated every 3-3500 miles. Couldn't believe they lasted that long
Did real well over all, rode good, not too heavy, never had an issue getting where I wanted to go on or off road

Wait, hold the presses, Duratracs are available in p-rated? :Wow1:

Off to look

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I am having an issue locating proper AT or MT tires for a lightweight vehicle.

I have a 99 Isuzu Amigo with a light lift that I would like to fit 265/75r16 tires on. I currently am running the General Grabber AT2 in 245/70r16, which I think is a great tire. This size is P-rated, which is perfect for the little Amigo's weight (3500 lbs.).

I would like to buy a set of slightly larger, slightly more aggressive all-terrains, but not in an LT-E configuration. It would ride like a dumptruck with those sidewalls.

From my research, it looks like Cooper AT-3 in B or C, along with Duratracs in C are my only real options unless I switch to 15" wheels.

I really, really wish General would make the AT2 in a C.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mine are load range C.

apgamer

I am seeing that the 265/70r16 Duratrac is available P-rated, but not the 265/75r16, only LT-E and C.

Am I asking for cut sidewalls offroading on a P sidewall, even with a light ride?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Search tire rack for that size and filter results for only S(standard load) tires. Theres a number of results that would work for you.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...h=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&zip-code=

I like the LT's on my truck, it does ride stiff but I have the factory heavy duty suspension on mine so I don't know how much of the ride quality is a result of the tires. The truck doesn't ride any harsher than my Mustang on low profile tires and I like the way the tires dont squirm when I take corners like a race car driver.

p nut

butter
I wouldn't let the perceived ride quality of LR E tires stop you from buying some. You can dial the psi enough to get a good enough ride out of them. Even in my old Tacoma, I was running LR E with no real complaints about the ride. It was actually fairly comparable to LR C/D I had before.

kayadog

Adventurer
Really like my p265/75r16 Hankook ATM's -- they are only 39 lbs. I liked my Grabber AT2's but the Hankooks are better street tires and just as good off road. The Hankooks are not as aggressive looking as the Generals.

Also like the Hankooks better than the Cooper AT3's I ran. They are more aggressive looking too.

For comparison the lt265/75r16 Grabber AT2's are 57 lbs.

Last edited:

tommudd

Explorer
I am seeing that the 265/70r16 Duratrac is available P-rated, but not the 265/75r16, only LT-E and C.

Am I asking for cut sidewalls offroading on a P sidewall, even with a light ride?

I never cut the sidewalls on mine
not sure if they still make the regular P rating or not, bought mine when they very first came out, Even the Goodyear dealer was suprised they could get them! LOL

LR Max

Local Oaf
Anything in Load Range C should work fine. Avoid any load range above that. Also go for a LT tire.

Of course I'm going to tell you to get BFG tires, but any LT Load Range C tire will work great.

apgamer

I may have just bought a set of 5 from Discount Tire Direct, that is a really, really good deal right now (ends tonight). Thank you so much for the tip.

I ended up going with the 245/75r16, my research showed that I would expect rubbing with the 265's and I don't need to deal with that. The Amigo is so small, I think it will do fine. With the $100 rebate, it comes to $142/each/shipped.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
LR E tires will work alright, you'll just be running them at a fairly low pressure due to being way below their weight rating. And they'll feel a little stiff. I've wheeled 4300-ish lb Jeeps with p-rated tires before. Unless you're spending a lot of time in rock gardens that are likely to tear up sidewalls, you'll be fine. Not all terrain demands bulletproof sidewalls, and if you're aware that the sidewalls are a little fragile, you can often adjust how you attack things to reduce the risk of tearing them up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior