Tired of spilling gas while filling generators. Transfer pump or???

dbhost

So I have a VERY dumb problem. The #$%^ EPA messed up gas gans tend to either not be able to get fuel where fuel needs to go, or they cause a massive spill because they won't stop flow because I have to manually hold the trigger open to get gas to go into things like generators, or fill the tanks on my coleman appliances.

I REALLY hate wasting gas, let alone the avoidable environmental impacts of foiling soil and air with gasoline.

I was thinking about some sort of manual transfer pump, a siphon of sorts that would allow me to shut off flow as the tank approaches full.

The one big issue I am finding with the sportsman generator is that as soon as you see fuel aproaching full, especially if you are filiing from a 5 gallon can, you end up spilling about a half a cup to a cup of gasoline by the time you can stop the fuel flow.

Any recommendations on better fuel cans and means of transitioning fuel to the devices?

My fueled devices are the truck obviously, a Sportsman 1000 inverter generator, Coleman dual fuel stove, and latnerns, and in winter months, Coleman liquid fuel catalytic heaters. And no I have not tested yet. I was going to last winter but I had barely enough gasoline to run the stove and had plenty of white gas for the heaters... (Feb 2021 Texas big freeze / power outage).

jkam

nomadic man
I use a super syphon to transfer fuel.
I works great and is easy enough to stop the flow when you want.
41rutLropmL.jpg

dbhost

Simple solution to generator fill is to stop a little sooner, why complicate the simple task?

You missed the point. As soon as I know I am close, I am overflowing. That's the problem. The filter screen is kind of short, and keeps me from seeing the level...

pluton

Adventurer
I had to use a rented Honda 2200 generator earlier this year. I found that having a bright, narrow beam LED flashlight to illuminate the filler hole was a big help in seeing the fuel level as I was filling.

pith helmet

Another option is to get a metal safety can with attached funnel. You can control the flow of gas better and shut it off instantly. Short of losing it or running it over you’ll have it the rest of your life.

dbhost

I'm thinking something like this...

I am just not sure if it is reliable under exposure to gasoline. I have one I used for an oil / coolant spill that happened on my property from a friends engine that grenaded itself in my driveway. Didn't want that crap running into my storm drain...

javajoe79

Fabricator

Reactions: WSS

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I got tired of liquid fuel hassles and got rid of, or put into long term storage, all but one of my liquid fuel powered generators and all of my liquid fueld camping accessories quite some time ago; other than a campfire and propane stove; 99+ % of my camping energy is provided by a LiFePo4 battery. If I bring the portable fridge; or for trips longer than about a week, I bring along solar panels to recharge it. (in an emergency I can recharge the battery from the vehicle using a DC-DC charger).
I rarely use a generator at all, any more; but when I do its fueled with propane.

If your lifestyle requires a liquid fueled generator; by all means use one... (hopefully it is of the low noise variety).

Enjoy!

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
$7.99 at Harbor Freight.

Yes they are CHEAP. Yes they work GREAT for occasional use. I have used these transfer pumps on everything from gas to gear oil to tranny fluid water and more.

I have one in all my vehicles. Very handy when you need one and they weigh next to nothing for all you guys worried about weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz