Tired of Old Junk but no Interest in Newer 4x4s

Ozark_Prowler

I'm tired of dealing with all the headaches associated with older 4x4 trucks like my current 1997 Land Cruiser and my old 1998 Tacoma. for some reason it seems like these older trucks are just endless moneypits and always cost an arm and a leg to fix. I like Tacomas, but the frames are junk and they all have shot suspensions and need a ton of work since nobody bothers to maintain them.

Meanwhile, modern 4x4s are junk IMO, or at east just not fun. The new Tacoma literally has a Camry drivetrain, and the new Bronco is all bark and no bite with its pathetic front end. Newer Jeeps just don't interest me, in fact any four wheel drive without a proper manual transfer case lever doesn't do it for me.

After owning arguably the ultimate 4x4 truck ever brought to the US in the 80 series Land Cruiser, it might be the end of the road. The repairs are just adding up too quick and it feels like it's time to cut my losses. Running trails is fun and all, but I hardly get to enjoy the LC anyway and it just doesn't seem worth all the heartache.

Anybody else in a similar boat? I'm about ready to give up and get another Subaru, at least then I can have another manual gearbox.

motovan_mn

Sounds like you need a UJOR 4x4 converted E350 cutaway. Can get the latest Ford drivetrain with the reliability/simplicity of a solid front axle and manual transfer case.

Whole other league in terms of size though ?

Ozark_Prowler

Newer 4Runner maybe? I think depending on the model, they can still come with a manual transfer case lever? Older Nissan Xterra? FJ Cruiser? Couple ideas anyway....
I definitely want something with a manual trans after driving this slushbox in the 80 series. I've considered older Xterras, but they all seem really neglected and on their last legs. Newer Xterras would be decent, but you pay a premium for a nice one with a manual, like the layer Pro-4xs, also they have weak front diffs and seem to pale in comparison to the J80 overall, though being a newer truck they'd be easier to maintain hopefully.

FJ Cruisers are ridiculouly overpriced and those blind spots are inexcusable. Newer 4runners don't have manuals and are a dime a dozen, just a bit boring to me, but solid trucks. I'd consider a manual 3rd gen 4runner, but they're very hard to find with a manual. I have my eye out for another little first gen Tacoma with a clean frame. I had my eye on one, but "no rust" turned out to be "rust" as is so often the case with those.

XJs and TJs.. eh maybe but I doubt those would be any less of a PITA than the 80 series.

Then there's some oddball choices like Monteros and Toppers, but those tend to be basket cases at this point if you can even find them.

XJLI

Adventurer
meh, you either drive an old truck and deal with the old truck problems bc you want old truck things.. like no nannies and manual everything; or, you buy a new(er) one and don't worry about fixing it all the time and cruise in comfort.

They don't make em like they used to, and thank goodness they dont. An old truck is fun for when you want to drive the old truck.

plh

Explorer
It sounds to me like you either need (2) vehicles: (1) newer reliable vehicle and (1) older weekend/project vehicle.

or

You need to dump "new car" money into your older vehicles and do a ground up restomod to get them up to par with your requirements.

Let me fix that for you:
You need to dump "3x new car" money into your older vehicles and do a ground up restomod to get them up to par with your requirements.

Ozark_Prowler

Let me fix that for you:
You need to dump "3x new car" money into your older vehicles and do a ground up restomod to get them up to par with your requirements.
What’s your evidence for fixing up an old Land Cruiser being 3x the new equivalent.

lets say a new 4Runner goes for 50k in this market; so baselining an 80 series costs 150 grand?

Ozark_Prowler

meh, you either drive an old truck and deal with the old truck problems bc you want old truck things.. like no nannies and manual everything; or, you buy a new(er) one and don't worry about fixing it all the time and cruise in comfort.

They don't make em like they used to, and thank goodness they dont. An old truck is fun for when you want to drive the old truck.
That’s the rub, they lure you in with promises of no-nonsense fun and beautiful simplicity then bleed you dry.

Ozark_Prowler

It sounds to me like you either need (2) vehicles: (1) newer reliable vehicle and (1) older weekend/project vehicle.

or

You need to dump "new car" money into your older vehicles and do a ground up restomod to get them up to par with your requirements.
I don’t have new car money being in grad school, and even if I did I’m not big on dumping a lot of money into a vehicle. I had a 96 Camry when I lived in Tasmania and it cost me all of $1000 USD to run for a whole year, including the purchase price, then I sold it and almost made all that money back. And it got me everywhere I needed to go.

That was the smartest purchase I ever made, too bad I didn’t have the same luck with Toyota 4x4s.

billiebob

A new vehicle is an $84K vehicle. A perfect old truck might cost the same amount and be as reliable as anything brand new but it might still cost $84K. Either one needs maintenance. Old is not really any more expensive or less reliable than new.

I have 2 TJRs. The '05 with 400K kms is now parked and I drive an '06 with 110K kms. The new one cost $12K....... so $1K a year to keep it mechanically perfect is a buy and I don't have any of the silly nanny things like Braking Differential traction Control or Tire Pressure Monitors. TJs are just old trucks with a clutch, shifter levers, wind down windows and solid axles..... perfect. I'll never buy anything newer.

If you are thinking about spending $84K on a new vehicle you will hate..... why not spend that on an old vehicle you will love.

Or

Lots of choices between $12K and $84K.

Last edited:

Ozark_Prowler

A new vehicle is an $84K vehicle. A perfect old truck might cost the same amount and be as reliable as anything brand new but it might still cost $84K. Either one needs maintenance. Old is not really any more expensive or less reliable than new.

I have 2 TJRs. The '05 with 400K kms is now parked and I drive an '06 with 110K kms. The new one cost $12K....... so $1K a year to keep it mechanically perfect is a buy and I don't have any of the silly nanny things like Braking Differential traction Control or Tire Pressure Monitors. TJs are just old trucks with a clutch, shifter levers, wind down windows and solid axles..... perfect. I'll never buy anything newer.

If you are thinking about spending $84K on a new vehicle you will hate..... why not spend that on an old vehicle you will love.

Or

Lots of choices between $12K and $84K.
Where’d you get 84k? I couldn’t imagine spending anywhere close to that on fixing up my current rig, or on any vehicle for that matter.

billiebob

Where’d you get 84k? I couldn’t imagine spending anywhere close to that on fixing up my current rig, or on any vehicle for that matter.
Just a number to go with the 2 BaT auction results I posted and the fact a lot of new Broncos, Wranglers and Sierras sell for the same price.
I'm sure there are really good old 4x4s selling for the same price as a new Subaru too.

But the message is quit spending on the basket case you own and find yer perfect overlander...... use the retail price for that new car as a budget. But buy the best you can find.... don't buy a project.

Heres another option if yer considering a Subaru.

There are lots of cool well sorted old vehicles out there.

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
Have you driven the new Tacoma? We have a 2021 Tacoma Manual extended cab. It's fantastic for what it is. Crazy mindless reliable for the first year. Toyota pays all maintenance for 2yrs. We bought it new for $35k (dealers will negotiate manuals on their lot - be willing to travel). It could sell for $45k around here used.

I've owned a 1998 Tacoma and 2013 Tacoma. And a handful of 4runners.

There's no reason to knock the 3.5L motor. It's worlds better than the FJ80 engine. We average 21-22mpg. It gets 21mpg consistently driving to town (climbing 1,500ft in elevation) and general around town driving. We added the URD short shifter and accumulator delete. Fun to drive. Plenty zippy. You won't find a better manual vehicle. And it's the last of the kind. Go buy a new one before they are gone. Manual sales are incredibly low. It makes sense why manufacturers are dropping them.

I agree. Old vehicles are a hassle to own. Unless you completely rebuild them or find a "rare" preserved and maintained rig $$$. Go for a new rig... it might fit your desire more than you think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke