Tired of Old Junk but no Interest in Newer 4x4s

Ozark_Prowler

Agreed.
SR5 TRD off-road is (only cheap way) cheapest way to get a rear E locker on the Tundra here as far as I can discern.
It's actually cheaper than the most equivalently equipped Ford, but you can get an XLT Ferd with rear locker for less

Vehicle pricing is through the roof used and new, so if you can run what you have and/or keep fixing it just a bit longer, things might calm down next year. At least that's my hope!
In a way the best cure for high car prices are higher car prices. Especially now that interest rates are going up, I don't think people are going to keep tolerating these inflated prices much longer, or I hope not at least.

montypower

Adventure Time!
The best way to cure the raising car prices is to quit buying luxury versions of "standard" vehicles. There's no reason you need leather, heated seats, heated steering, technology packages... and on it goes. The fully "loaded" vehicle price is often 50-100% more than the base model. There are plenty of good inexpensive new vehicles. Ford Maverick @ $20k is a great example (and yes you'd need to be savvy and order/wait). The average new vehicle sale price (in the US) is over $50k because people have no restraint and want all the "luxury" items. This is because for most it is a payment. Save your money and buy with cash. Don't be upsold on crap like warranties and protection packages. You can still get good buys on new vehicles!

Heck "base" vehicles today have more features than "loaded" vehicles of the 90s. But no judgement if you spend your hard earned money on luxury features that you really love and appreciate. I like luxury stuff too (owned several Jaguars).

Our Examples:
2020 4x4 F250 - Custom Ordered with all the stuff we wanted (essential items) - $40k out the door
2021 Tacoma TRD Sport - Brand new on the lot - $35k out the door
2022 Ford Bronco Sasquatch 2dr - On Order - $40k out the door (with lots of add ons)

We carefully evaluate any "upgrades" and only pay for the ones we find to have real value. I'm fine waiting to have a vehicle custom built. And we don't do payments. Patience. There's no reason to buy whatever is on a dealer lot and pay these ridiculous dealer "market adjustment" prices. More people should follow Dave Ramsey!

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

The best way to cure the raising car prices is to quit buying luxury versions of "standard" vehicles. There's no reason you need leather, heated seats, heated steering, technology packages... and on it goes. The base vehicle price is often 50-100% cheaper than the fully "loaded" version. There are plenty of good inexpensive new vehicles. Ford Maverick @ $20k is a great example (and yes you'd need to be savvy and order/wait). The average new vehicle sale price (in the US) is over $50k because people have no restraint and want all the "luxury" items. This is because for most it is a payment. Save your money and buy with cash. Don't be upsold on crap like warranties and protection packages. You can still get good buys on new vehicles!

Heck "base" vehicles today have more features than "loaded" vehicles of the 90s. But no judgement if you spend your hard earned money on luxury features that you really love and appreciate. I like luxury stuff too (owned several Jaguars).

Our Examples:
2020 4x4 F250 - Custom Ordered with all the stuff we wanted (essential items) - $40k out the door
2022 Ford Bronco Sasquatch 2dr - On Order - $40k out the door (with lots of add ons)

We carefully evaluate any "upgrades" and only pay for the ones we find to have real value. I'm fine waiting to have a vehicle custom built. And we don't do payments. Patience. There's no reason to buy whatever is on a dealer lot and pay these ridiculous dealer "market adjustment" prices. More people should follow Dave Ramsey!

Sure. I agree on the David Ramsey thing. Not everyone can do that right now.

But...I couldnt build a 4 cylinder Chevy Custom Trail Boss, with no added packages or accessories for under $49k. Maybe during truck month I could get 5 or 8 grand off, IF I meet all thier conditions.

bkg

Explorer
The best way to cure the raising car prices is to quit buying luxury versions of "standard" vehicles. There's no reason you need leather, heated seats, heated steering, technology packages... and on it goes. The base vehicle price is often 50-100% cheaper than the fully "loaded" version. There are plenty of good inexpensive new vehicles. Ford Maverick @ $20k is a great example (and yes you'd need to be savvy and order/wait). The average new vehicle sale price (in the US) is over $50k because people have no restraint and want all the "luxury" items. This is because for most it is a payment. Save your money and buy with cash. Don't be upsold on crap like warranties and protection packages. You can still get good buys on new vehicles!

Our Examples:

I question any base vehicle being 100% cheaper than their fully loaded version. ?

Having said that -people on this page, myself included, have spent well over 100% of a list price on modifications (over time).

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
At least with a car payment it’s a set amount each month. On a n older car it might be nothing one month then a head gasket and blown diff then next.
Meh I gotta disagree. Interview people that got ahead and they never did it on payments. You can drive a clunker and stow away 500 hundred a month in savings if it makes you feel better- that’s what an emergency fund is for anyways. On a budget then get an old civic or Corolla

rruff

Explorer
Interview people that got ahead and they never did it on payments.

To me it's just simple. I only buy stuff when I have the money for it. No payments. Don't keep track of my bank account. No worries about money, because I always have a stash.

But... I've always been happy to live below my means. When I took off 11 years not working, that was way below the poverty line! Loved it, though...

I bought my Tundra for $31.2k new. Yes, I gave up a couple things I would have liked... the 38 gal tank, and remote locks... but I wasn't willing to pay another $8-10k to get those, plus a bunch of other junk I didn't want. The lack of chrome and shifter on the steering column were nice features of the base model. Already came with tow mirrors and the tow package.

Ozark_Prowler

Meh I gotta disagree. Interview people that got ahead and they never did it on payments. You can drive a clunker and stow away 500 hundred a month in savings if it makes you feel better- that’s what an emergency fund is for anyways. On a budget then get an old civic or Corolla
In general I try to avoid debt just to simplify things, but it can be smarter it finance a car even when you have plenty of money to buy it in cash if the interest on the loan is less than the returns it’d make in a mutual fund for example. As long as you’re not spending money that doesn’t exist.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
In general I try to avoid debt just to simplify things, but it can be smarter it finance a car even when you have plenty of money to buy it in cash if the interest on the loan is less than the returns it’d make in a mutual fund for example. As long as you’re not spending money that doesn’t exist.
This isn’t a financial forum so sorry for my rebuttal..? What about risk? Say the market tanks for example. I know someone that bought a house in 2007 and financed it because they put the proceeds of the house they sold in a mutual fund for the same reason you suggested. When the market tanked it took them many years to get back to even why they were paying for a house at 4%.

bkg

Explorer

actually... people make a lot of money using debt as a tool.

I'm anti-debt as the next person, but it is a tool that can be used to produce wealth and reduce risk.

And you missed the part about a (presumed newish) vehicle with payment can me more consistent on the budget than a "clunker" that may require a variable amount of repairs month over month.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
And you missed the part about a (presumed newish) vehicle with payment can me more consistent on the budget than a "clunker" that may require a variable amount of repairs month over month.
At least with a car payment it’s a set amount each month. On a n older car it might be nothing one month then a head gasket and blown diff then next.
I got sick of clunkers after my 03 Xterra supercharged blew a head gasket at 160,000 miles and was a $4,000 fix. My FJ80 was another money pit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne