Tired of all the "crap" RTT's. So I made my own. - TERRAPOD!

JackW

Explorer
I was wondering if you had some kind of ladder stabilization plate/bracket worked out for the tents and what kind of ladder you recommend? I have the 8.5' Extenda-Step from my previous tent that I could use - just wondering if you've found something better.
I have some ideas but was wondering what solutions you guys have come up with.

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
I was wondering if you had some kind of ladder stabilization plate/bracket worked out for the tents and what kind of ladder you recommend? I have the 8.5' Extenda-Step from my previous tent that I could use - just wondering if you've found something better.
I have some ideas but was wondering what solutions you guys have come up with.

The SOLO comes with a ladder with special brackets at the top which connect to the lower track.

C

Last edited:

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I like your design. My only concern is insulation. Aluminum is a great heat sink so you might want to look at putting something under your mattress. Many of the RTT companies sell an mat to put under your mattress to limit condensation but they tend to be hard and prickly, like a repurposed screed. There is a really nice one that comes from Germany that is soft and really comfy but very hard to find here.

Sailrite has a new one for sale.

I just got one for under the bunks in a sailboat. Quite thin, soft and should do the trick.

JJBiggs

I like your design. My only concern is insulation. Aluminum is a great heat sink so you might want to look at putting something under your mattress. Many of the RTT companies sell an mat to put under your mattress to limit condensation but they tend to be hard and prickly, like a repurposed screed. There is a really nice one that comes from Germany that is soft and really comfy but very hard to find here.

Sailrite has a new one for sale.

I just got one for under the bunks in a sailboat. Quite thin, soft and should do the trick.

Condensation under the mattress is from the porous nature of traditional foam and the warm moist air coming off your body. We have never experienced this problem.
Please note - Our panels are NOT aluminum. They are a thermally rated composite (R4.5). Our Exped mattress is also R4.5 rated. Combined they result in a wonderful insulated layer. We have never experienced a problem with condensation forming under the mattress. Even in cold wet conditions.

C

Last edited:

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Think of the mat as a boxspring, it add a little cushion and allows air to flow keeping things fresh. I haven't looked at your construction materials but good to hear you are using a foam composite. I've found that with composites you still will get some moisture in the mattress but that shouldn't be a problem with your solution. One thing that we used to do is have a thicker mattress in cold weather tents. You need to increase the mattress thickness by a good 50% when it is below freezing to maintain the same level of comfort.

JJBiggs

Think of the mat as a boxspring, it add a little cushion and allows air to flow keeping things fresh. I haven't looked at your construction materials but good to hear you are using a foam composite. I've found that with composites you still will get some moisture in the mattress but that shouldn't be a problem with your solution. One thing that we used to do is have a thicker mattress in cold weather tents. You need to increase the mattress thickness by a good 50% when it is below freezing to maintain the same level of comfort.

tap, tap, tap...is this thing on? :unsure:

Our mattresses from Exped are not porous. Therefore...moisture does not get into it or go through it. It provides a wonderfully comfortable insulation barrier. Condensation under the mattress is a non-issue.
So...I'm not really sure what your end-goal in this discussion is....or the point you're trying to make. FWIW...in below freezing temps, sleeping in this tent has been fantastic, with the proper cold-weather sleeping gear.

C

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
tap, tap, tap...is this thing on? :unsure:

Our mattresses from Exped are not porous. Therefore...moisture does not get into it or go through it. It provides a wonderfully comfortable insulation barrier. Condensation under the mattress is a non-issue.
So...I'm not really sure what your end-goal in this discussion is....or the point you're trying to make. FWIW...in below freezing temps, sleeping in this tent has been fantastic, with the proper cold-weather sleeping gear.

C
Maybe he knows a bed-wetter?

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Not trying to be critical, just interested in where the design is going. One of the heaviest parts of roof tent is the mattress. I'm a designer too, was awarded Chrysler's Dex award for Jeep in 2001 if I remember right, getting old.

JackW

Explorer
Chad was an industrial designer with Boeing - I'm a retired Lockheed Manufacturing Engineer (24 years on the F-22, 3 years on F-35, rest of my time was working on the C-130 and C-5 aircraft).
One of the reasons I've got a Terrapod on order to replace my perfectly serviceable Maggiolina is how impressed I am with the details in his design. He is using very modern materials and manufacturing techniques in his new tents.

His goals were low profile, light weight and flexible design and he has succeeded in all three of those. I've seen the prototypes and visited Terrapod World Headquarters and I was impressed enough to buy one.

JJBiggs

Not trying to be critical, just interested in where the design is going. One of the heaviest parts of roof tent is the mattress. I'm a designer too, was awarded Chrysler's Dex award for Jeep in 2001 if I remember right, getting old.

Here's where the product is to date: We are in production with 2 tent models - the RTTx XL and the RTTx SOLO. (Please read through the thread or visit the website to learn more).

Design phase was completed 2+ years ago. We then performed in-the-field testing for approx 14 months.

With regards to the mattresses, we tested 3 different variations (traditional inflatable air, traditional foam, and the Exped self-inflating hybrid), to find the best, most comfortable result. Exped won...by a landslide.

C

JackW

Explorer
Supposed to get my Terrapod Solo by early next week - excited! I get #2 - here's a sneak peek of SOLO #1.
At 31" wide it will leave a strip almost two feet wide down the length of my roof rack for other "stuff" and the integral roof rack on the Terrapod will be perfect for attaching the Maxtrax.

Plus at around 70 lbs I can transfer it between the two Defenders myself without a sky crane. Its exactly what I need and I can't wait to try it out.

SOLO Terrapod.jpg

JackW

Explorer
Got the Terrapod SOLO roof tent and mounted it on the D90 today between downpours. Very pleased with the tent and its design features.
It gives me almost two feet of space the length of the roof rack for other stuff - like my 5 lb propane bottle, the 5 gallon jerry can of extra diesel and a bag for "guest quarters".

Can't wait to try it out.D90 wSOLO-1.jpgD90 wSOLO-4.jpgD90 wSOLO-8.jpgD90 wSOLO-3.jpg

jeepers29

lwg

How are things moving with the next round of the XL tents? Anxious to get my hands on one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JJBiggs

How are things moving with the next round of the XL tents? Anxious to get my hands on one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The SOLO's are on the very same assembly line and process as the XL's. The gents who received their SOLO's were a part of the Kickstarter list. They contacted us and specifically requested SOLO's instead of the XL's. We are maintaining the first come, first serve order for our customers.

Thank you!

C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier