Tired of all the "crap" RTT's. So I made my own. - TERRAPOD!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Like family hour. 6'5"/225.
It's so good when somebody gets it.

I'm trying to talk him into subtracting about six inches of length to bring it down to normal human size. Since it will be going on a short wheelbase Defender it will overhang the front windshield a bit more than I really want. It will be one of the first Solo models he will build so it will be narrower. Shortening the hard shell isn't a big problem, it's the fabric part that would be a problem. Maybe after he builds the first one he will figure out a way to modify one to accommodate my desires....
If there's enough demand maybe he'll introduce the "Hobbit" model...

JackW

Explorer
Yes, our 6'0" - 180 is a veritable midget in the land of giants - but in Costa Rica in 1974 I had to duck to stand up in the Bluebird bus that was running the route from the west coast up to San Isidro ferrying the native population into town in the morning and back in the afternoon. The locals, their chickens and goats and their kids all stared at the grande Yanqui holding a driveshaft for a Buick Electra while bracing for the turns by pressing the top of his head against the ceiling of the bus.

That and the time I almost knocked myself out by hitting the 5'11" high cross bar between two bathroom stalls at a roadside restaurant just south of Oaxaca. Their regular clientele averaged somewhat less than 5'6". But their arroz con iguana was excellent.

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Finally - Some progress to report. Final fitment of the production fabric.
Production is now green. ? (y)

y7jJwXq.jpg

UnaxKD7.jpg

Some Finishing Details:

MsPNSoV.jpg

DZs5jHs.jpg

lwg

When is the second round opening up? Ready to get in line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JJBiggs

Howdy all...been a crazy few weeks. Glad to see everyone is finally getting our swag. How about a Happy New Year update?

As of today here's where we are:

- Terrapod was hit by a number of uncontrollable delays relating to Covid, the holidays, and the holiday shipping fiasco of 2020.
- 99.9% of all parts and materials are in place and ready to go for the First Edition units and production is well underway.
- Based on the present pace, the first 5 units will be ready for shipping in 2-3 weeks.
- We are waiting on one last component that we had to make a design change to - the nose panels. We wanted them even tougher.
- We have begun reaching out to the first 5 customers to make final order confirmations and to make sure we did not miss any added accessories or needs.
- Following notification, our COO will contact each customer to get our Rhino-Rack orders compiled and sent out.
- Lastly, we took over the space behind us and doubled our facility. This will allow us to ramp up that much faster.

In the meantime...

The units are looking incredible. The fit and finishes have been carefully tailored to be on point. And...they are just that. Here is a sampling of what is coming your way. (all photos are from the current batch being completed.

39ERBmK.jpg

PCBIFfg.jpg

4cwJzmW.jpg

TdkIbpg.jpg

aWk5KZj.jpg

n93inmy.jpg

lwg

UPDATE!

009 Sporting the very first Lid Rack option.
NOTE: The bars were in the process of being fitted. They are not attached.

This is pretty cool. A couple of obvious questions.

1) How much height does this add to the overall tent?
2) What’s the additional weight to the tent?
3) What’s the anticipated load rating for such a setup with the assumption the underlying rack and roof weight requirements are ample?

JJBiggs

This is pretty cool. A couple of obvious questions.

1) How much height does this add to the overall tent?
2) What’s the additional weight to the tent?
3) What’s the anticipated load rating for such a setup with the assumption the underlying rack and roof weight requirements are ample?

1 - 1.250" extra height
2 - Right around 12 lbs
3 - We are recommending lighter loads, no more than 50-75lbs (think Maxtrax, small gear, solar, etc.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier