Tired of all the "crap" RTT's. So I made my own. - TERRAPOD!

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
The Terrapod RTTx - the most tested, proven, new-to-market Roof Top Tent, ever conceived.
14 months - 1000's of miles on and off road - high winds - monsoon rain - high desert t-storms - hail

...and a 40 lb, 87" limb dropped onto it from 14'...3 times.

It survived it all.

Handcrafted and made in the USA.

5cKAYwC.jpg

JJBiggs

Quick note - Terrapod is an official Rhino-Rack USA Dealer. We will be offering discount on tents and Rhino-Rack mounting hardware / gear. Be sure to mention this and we can hook you up with a bolt-on setup.

Thanks!

C

JJBiggs

Attention Prinsu and Victory Rack owners - (3/4 & Full length). Mounting kit is now available.

ivTQ7bT.jpg

JJBiggs

Hey folks...you all witnessed the birth of the RTTx, right here on Portal. Even if you are not in the market for a tent, please consider one of our other merch items. Every little bit will help us get up to speed that much faster. (BTW - the Mag-Coozie is freakin awesome. Easily my favorite thing.)

Help spread the word! We are truly wanting to bring high-quality USA made gear to the industry. We deserve quality gear!!

Go here! Terrapod RTTx - Extreme Series Vehicle Roof Tent by Chad Austin — Kickstarter

ANPjEVp.png

Last edited:

JJBiggs

Kickstarter Update: Don't Wait! The Introductory price is only for the First Edition Tents.

Only 12 units remain!

A reminder - we are using Kickstarter to jumpstart marketing to build awareness for Terrapod. That's pretty much it. All parts and materials are in within the next week and we will be starting production. So...the sooner we hit our goal, the sooner we ship tents.

Side note - a reminder, we can only ship to continental US and Canada at this time only. Thank you to all from overseas who have expressed interest. Once we get up to speed, we can determine the best international shipping. TY

OLzRONW.jpg

JJBiggs

How many Roof Top Tents do you know of that can do this...on a lifted truck?

For those who have asked regarding standard 7 foot Garage doors - Here you go.

Details as shown:

1) Vehicle details: 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail with a 3.5" lift, 275/70/17 tires
2) Terrapod RTTx Tent with Rhino-Rack Backbone mount.
3) Garage door is a standard 2 car 7 foot tall garage door.

The Rhino-Rack Backbone as a direct mount for the RTTx provides not only the best mounting option, it allows the vehicle to retain the proper aerodynamic airflow over the roof.

Only 12 left on the Kickstarter First Editions. Get it while you still can!

zsDpQvS.jpg

klVXa6r.jpg

Ivr0ogW.jpg

Last edited:

JJBiggs

Ladies and Gents - ONLY 3 FIRST EDITION TENTS REMAIN.
Allow me to present the media kit images of the RTTx Production model.

hptChtQ.jpg

YnSFpPH.jpg

n1Bum8s.jpg

j0CUXwv.jpg

FTPFvAU.jpg

JackW

Explorer
And as someone who has spent many nights in my Maggiolina and has looked at almost every roof tent on the market, I'm glad to say I've reserved number 22 of the first 25.

As a retired Lockheed engineer I'm very impressed with the details of the Terrapod and look forward to camping in new roof tent next spring. The modular design of the Terrapod is one of the great features of this tent which leads to all sorts of extremely interesting possibilities.

Last edited:

JJBiggs

Ladies and Gents - Allow me a moment to obsess about my, erm... obsession. ?

I know quite a few think black framing is cool looking. Frankly...I 100% agree with you. Heck, it's why I started the design process with black in mind. I loved the look. However, as I got further along in the process, testing proved it is just not the best solution. This has been my target for the tent, from the start >>>> the best functioning, no compromise, well-designed & built RTT. Period.

Factors at play for Black vs Silver:

• Finish / An example
- the photo below is of my 8 month old Extreme LED A-pillar lights. This is what happens to aluminum extrusions, if we anodize them in this manner (these are garaged.) I do not want my customers to have to repaint their tents after the anodizing fades after only a year in the sun.

This did not meet our level of quality.

• Heat - We did a simple test of placing both silver/clear and black anodized aluminum rails (same alloy), in full noontime sun for 15 min. The black absorbed the heat intensely and experience a differential from silver of upwards of 25-30 degrees greater.

Given how many of us visit desert environments and/or hot sun - unacceptable.

• Powder Coating: Now some may say powder coating is the best method. While heat is still an issue with the color, powder coating pushed us into a pricing category that I did want to pass to my customers due to huge quantity of parts (3000lbs worth). (think about the powder coating cost of those sliders or bumper.) The thickness of the powder also proved to be a challenge in the T-slots. I did not want my customers to have to grind all the bolts, just to mount an accessory.

This too, did not meet our level of quality.

• Personalization: The RTTx was created to be a sleeping system that can be personalized by the owner. If you still desire a black tent, anodizing is a high-energy finish that provides a great surface for paint or vehicle wrap vinyl. This direction, completely fits with idea of personalization.

Far too many tents in the industry are focusing on cheap and cool looking, instead of proper function and design. That's not how Terrapod rolls. The RTTx is cool looking...but meets the mark functionally, in spades.

Adventure Simple

Rjyj0Xi.jpg

Last edited:

JackW

Explorer
Corrosion is the absolute worst enemy of aircraft which is why you find so many anodized parts on them. That's one of the many reasons why I admire Chad's design path. A black roof tent would be an oven here in the South.

lwg

Wanted to pull the trigger but it’s just too early for me with the holidays coming up. I’ll sign up for the second wave hoping for delivery by Feb/Mar ‘21.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JJBiggs

KICKSTARTER UPDATE!

Unfortunately, one of our Kickstarters has backed out. The good news? We are back to 1 unit left.
But hurry...at this special price, it won't last long.

FyGVRVp.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles