Tired of all the "crap" RTT's. So I made my own. - TERRAPOD!

Gascan4X4

All chaps, no jeans.
3 forums posted about the tent. 1000's of views and 800+ followers on FB. Out of all that, 3 guys (1 from each forum) ask to have an individual update.

I'll do my best. (y)

Lol, goes to show there is ALWAYS that one ************ in the group ?. Seriously though, not asking for an individual update, just wanted to see if I could get the latest about your greatest somewhere other than facebook; I'll just keep checking back on your thread here on Expo.

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Looks awesome! Personally, I would give up some "low profileness" to be able to leave bedding up there.

I will likely offer two sources for mattresses. 1. a traditional foam source (thefoamfactory.com) so you can select your preferred foam density and thickness. If you do a 2" foam, there is still enough space to store some bedding. 2. the NEMO Cosmo 50L insulated, inflatable mattress fits PERFECTLY and deflates allowing for ample storage for everything needed+.

Personally speaking - I have never been a fan of inflatable mattresses...until I laid on the Cosmo 50L. And...it is what I am running with.

B

BPD53

I hope you will consider a true one man model in the future. Having one at about half the width of your current prototype would be just about right. Having about 30" of interior width is all I'd need to fit a really nice sleeping pad.

lowrider1

I have a long bed Frontier Super Cab with a Leer cab high cap and I'd be willing to cut a hole in the top of the cap to allow access into the RTT from the bed. Haven't measured the top of the cap yet but it's probably close to 50" wide, so a 30" wide bed area 6'-6" long, an open area at the rear where a person could enter the cap from the ground, open the top and have a 20" x 24" area to access the "upstairs" and have another area roughly 20" wide and 4' long under the lifted tent top for whatever you want...to eat, read, cook or...well you decide.

Oh yeah...the top needs to support a 16' canoe, 14' kayak or my 13' Kaboat. I'm thinking 0.060" 6061 on the sides and a frame for the top with some alum channel on top to support boats and maybe 0.035" on the top and sides. Some heavy silnylon and netting for the soft sides.

The idea would be to bolt the RTT to the Leer cap and extend a part over the truck cab but not attached to the truck and make that portion into an aerodynamic shape to reduce drag. Overall depth could probably be 8" or maybe thinner and still have plenty of room for a mattress to remain in place when closed. Of course it would need a roller on the back to slide boats onto the RTT and some tie-down points to handle whatever needed to be hauled on top.

GREAT idea JJ!!

JJBiggs

I hope you will consider a true one man model in the future. Having one at about half the width of your current prototype would be just about right. Having about 30" of interior width is all I'd need to fit a really nice sleeping pad.

I am planning to move forward with making these in a bespoke / custom way at 3-5 units per run. Once testing is done this summer, I will likely open up orders on a first come, first serve basis. Each tent will be given a specific number (ex: RTTx001, RTTx002, RTTx003 and so on).

16 different fabric colors and an insane number of powder coating colors will be available. Custom sizes will of course be offered.

Please note - none of this will move forward until I have some in-the-field testing results and feedback. Once the final design is determined, I will move forward. For those wondering - 3 units are being made and will be exploring this summer.

JJBiggs

I have a long bed Frontier Super Cab with a Leer cab high cap and I'd be willing to cut a hole in the top of the cap to allow access into the RTT from the bed. Haven't measured the top of the cap yet but it's probably close to 50" wide, so a 30" wide bed area 6'-6" long, an open area at the rear where a person could enter the cap from the ground, open the top and have a 20" x 24" area to access the "upstairs" and have another area roughly 20" wide and 4' long under the lifted tent top for whatever you want...to eat, read, cook or...well you decide.

Oh yeah...the top needs to support a 16' canoe, 14' kayak or my 13' Kaboat. I'm thinking 0.060" 6061 on the sides and a frame for the top with some alum channel on top to support boats and maybe 0.035" on the top and sides. Some heavy silnylon and netting for the soft sides.

The idea would be to bolt the RTT to the Leer cap and extend a part over the truck cab but not attached to the truck and make that portion into an aerodynamic shape to reduce drag. Overall depth could probably be 8" or maybe thinner and still have plenty of room for a mattress to remain in place when closed. Of course it would need a roller on the back to slide boats onto the RTT and some tie-down points to handle whatever needed to be hauled on top.

GREAT idea JJ!!

Sorry, I don't think this tent would be a good solution to your need. The top will only hold very limited amount of weight (yet TBD). There are other potential directions that could be done. If you are interested in a completely custom alternative, contact me directly.

B

BPD53

I am planning to move forward with making these in a bespoke / custom way at 3-5 units per run. Once testing is done this summer, I will likely open up orders on a first come, first serve basis. Each tent will be given a specific number (ex: RTTx001, RTTx002, RTTx003 and so on).

16 different fabric colors and an insane number of powder coating colors will be available. Custom sizes will of course be offered.

Please note - none of this will move forward until I have some in-the-field testing results and feedback. Once the final design is determined, I will move forward. For those wondering - 3 units are being made and will be exploring this summer.

I'll be watching this thread patiently. I look forward to seeing the specs on the final design so I can estimate what a one man version would weigh and cost.

I haven't wanted/needed to purchase any camping gear for a while, but your willingness to provide my customization will make me save my pennies. I'm at the point with my gear that I'm really reluctant to change what works for my style of camping.

Good luck with your testing. Good things come to those who wait.

frans

Adventurer
Nice job! I am curious as to what type of hinge you use.
Also, is it difficult to get the tent material to tuck in when you close the lid?

Did you sew the material or have it done?

JJBiggs

Nice job! I am curious as to what type of hinge you use.
Also, is it difficult to get the tent material to tuck in when you close the lid?

Did you sew the material or have it done?

Custom designed hinge. Sewed all 3 myself. On the hunt for a vendor to assist with the others.
Tucking material - no problems.

JJBiggs

Here is the recipient of 002. One seriously cool, turbo'd FZJ80 with a test fit of prototype 001. 002 will be on this rig heading west to Cruise Moab very soon. Keep an eye for it. A couple notes: This will be a direct mount to get the tent as low as possible. Total height (from roof) is approx 7.5"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles