Tired of all the "huge" RTT's. So I made my own.

Interesting bug pic! I don't think all the air is going under as all the bugs would lead you to think it is. I think the majority of the air is actually going over higher than the deflector. A low pressure area on the top section.

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Interesting bug pic! I don't think all the air is going under as all the bugs would lead you to think it is. I think the majority of the air is actually going over higher than the deflector. A low pressure area on the top section.
I thought the same thing until I looked more closely at the photo. He snapped the photo mid-cleaning. The upper area was somewhat cleaned.

Edit: Correction - Mark just noted that was before cleaning. It would appear then to be the "dead zone" (har, har), where the air splits from the windshield and upper deflector. He said any bugs hitting the upper deflector glanced off, while bugs hitting the lower didn't have a chance.

Last edited:

CyberRube2

Dude, I gotta say that is possibly the cleanest, nicest looking hardshell tent I've ever seen. I really wish I could get one but with 2 adults and 2 small children it would be cramped :(. Thats another thing I wish TENT builders showed, the tents with actually human models inside to see spacing. That would be awesome if you could do. Have you thought of a price point yet?

Wilbah

Adventurer
Very cool. As a constant tinkerer of things I like what you've done, and your design is awesome. Does the ladder stow in the tent some how or in the vehicle(I'm guessing vehicle but just curious?). Could there be a channel to hole it under a rack (for those who have chosen a higher mount) or on the roof of the tent for those with the more "low profile" mount? Just curious as I know how precious interior space can be.

Well done! 🍺

JJBiggs

Dude, I gotta say that is possibly the cleanest, nicest looking hardshell tent I've ever seen. I really wish I could get one but with 2 adults and 2 small children it would be cramped :(. Thats another thing I wish TENT builders showed, the tents with actually human models inside to see spacing. That would be awesome if you could do. Have you thought of a price point yet?
Thank you, sir. Price point is getting there. I figure very close to Autohome's range.

Regarding space - that entirely depends on the size of the humans. I, myself am 6'6" and I fit beautifully even with my 6'1" wife. Plenty of space. I could see maybe 2 average (5'6" to 5'10" adults and one child, but that's about it. Just not enough space on the top of a roof.

JJBiggs

Very cool. As a constant tinkerer of things I like what you've done, and your design is awesome. Does the ladder stow in the tent some how or in the vehicle(I'm guessing vehicle but just curious?). Could there be a channel to hole it under a rack (for those who have chosen a higher mount) or on the roof of the tent for those with the more "low profile" mount? Just curious as I know how precious interior space can be.

Well done! 🍺

Thank you! Ladder is stowed in a special spot in my own rig. You could potentially stow it under, but the space to do so do is very tight. Low profile is a primary design target for the tent. That said - the idea is also to provide a customizable solution. So...anything is really possible.

C

JJBiggs

Howdy all - quick update on summer testing. Things are progressing nicely. 002 came back from Moab a wonderful success having survived monsoon level rains, high winds and hail. Not a drop of moisture inside or a failure in the fabric. 🤘

Very, very satisfied with the results to date.

003 is presently in production and will likely be the closest thing to the production versions. Once completed, all 3 will be out in the wild for the remainder of the summer testing every aspect we can to break them. Come fall 2019 - I am aiming to begin production.

In the meantime - I have been testing 001 with the new 100W solar array, custom fabricated 50Ah LFP solar charger and a Dometic CFX40 fridge. Amazed how efficient the Dometic is. Looking forward to further testing in the field.

More to come very soon.