Tired of all the "crap" RTT's. So I made my own. - TERRAPOD!

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Would be interested in how you went about sewing the tent, and depending on where your manufacturing these (shipping, T/E, warranty repairs, etc....), quantities, materials, schedule and target manufacturing costs we maybe able to help. All textiles are US and sewn here in Colorado. @adventuretoolcompany

BTW, very cool design and execution! Good luck!

Thank you Paul. PM sent. Let's chat.

JackW

Explorer
I told Scott to pass on someone I used to use for sewing stuff for Lockheed. Give Joe Lattanzi at Estex Manufacturing in Fairburn a call. Joe is a Georgia Tech graduate and Estex is a sewing plant south of 285 of I-85 that sews a bunch of stuff for the airline industry. Tents may be a little out of their usual line but I used them for making all kinds of weird ideas for Lockheed. Tell Joe that Jack sent you.

JJBiggs

Howdy All,

Been a while since my last update. Much work has been completed.
Allow me to present RTTx002 in all her production-level glory.
(Side note: the blue rainfly is a custom color option the buyer requested and is just a sample of the options that can be done to the tent.)

More to come later today when we mount it up on an FZJ80.

4qMosUK.jpg

Interior shots:

vjthsHC.jpg

DgYMxRY.jpg

Poi05zJ.jpg

billiebob

I definitely like this style. Similar to the Columbus but looks much tougher.

I've out grown tents and would like this much more as a hardwall, 3 hinged panels, and deeper for a much thicker mattress and bedding. But it looks very well built.

oh, and mounted on my favorite vehicle.

Last edited:

mlith

I'm the lucky recipient, and I love this tent. Chad did an outstanding job building it, really solid in every way. I just drove back home across north GA and solid as a rock. There is a ton of room inside for two people, and considering Chad is 6'7" it shouldn't feel cramped for anyone! I'm 6'1" and it feels really spacious inside. Easy to put up, easy to take down, couldn't be happier.

Oh and I really like the low profile. One of my major goals was a large spacious tent that still fit in the garage, so I don't have to dismount it. Well goal achieved, fits absolutely perfectly in the garage.

JJBiggs

UPDATE... RTTx001 is now mounted up and ready for an adventure. Here it is mounted on my 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail. The mounting rails are Rhino Rack Backbone with 3 custom 3/4" high extruded aluminum crossbars. The tent then directly bolts to those and is completely removable.

Also note - I mounted up a Rhino Rack Sunseeker awning. With the custom crossbars, this mounted up very easy. (Big fan of Rhino Rack products).

Since mounting up 001 & 002, I have road test each one. I am blown away by the results. Virtually ZERO wind noise. Buffeting from semi's is virtually zero. I am extremely pleased with the highway tests to date. More to come as these begin their adventures in the coming weeks.

(Note - this is 001. Meaning, it's the ugly one. The one a lot of lessons were learned on. 002 & 003 are much prettier.) :D

Closed:
scpbOIt.jpg

Zz8xMn4.jpg

RRsEgob.jpg

Open:
HcFLhvR.jpg

cwPf8UQ.jpg

HypMBrz.jpg

UPDATE... RTTx001 is now mounted up and ready for an adventure. Here it is mounted on my 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail. The mounting rails are Rhino Rack Backbone with 3 custom 3/4" high extruded aluminum crossbars. The tent then directly bolts to those and is completely removable.

Also note - I mounted up a Rhino Rack Sunseeker awning. With the custom crossbars, this mounted up very easy. (Big fan of Rhino Rack products).

Since mounting up 001 & 002, I have road test each one. I am blown away by the results. Virtually ZERO wind noise. Buffeting from semi's is virtually zero. I am extremely pleased with the highway tests to date. More to come as these begin their adventures in the coming weeks.

(Note - this is 001. Meaning, it's the ugly one. The one a lot of lessons were learned on. 002 & 003 are much prettier.) :D

Closed:
scpbOIt.jpg

Zz8xMn4.jpg

RRsEgob.jpg

Open:
HcFLhvR.jpg

cwPf8UQ.jpg

HypMBrz.jpg

Came out very clean with a good attention to detail. Interested to see your feedback and anything you would/will change once it sees some heavy weather or if it is plenty good the first time.

JJBiggs

Sometimes...poo happens.

Did a water test on 001 last night. It failed. Upon inspection...I found the reason. My own fault - a rushed fabric install. (Insert a facepalm here).

Well...that’s what I get. In my haste (..excitement?) to install 001, I screwed up the orientation of the bonded fabrics. And...found a couple places that I didn't fully sew up. As a result, created a water wick that pulled the outside water along the bottom edge directly into the interior.

Not gonna lie, cutting away all the fabric with a razor knife was a little unnerving.

Moving forward with the updated design (currently on 002). Not all bad - this is why 001 exists. To fail...so others can be made better.

Welcome to the world of product design. ??

ESDsfLI.jpg

JJBiggs

RTTx002. In-field Test#1 Update:
CruiseMoab 2019.

Our friend is presently on the Kokopelli Trail heading towards Moab, UT with the CruiseMoab 2019 group. The group got hit with INSANE weather last evening and into the early am hours.

Messages from the RTTx002 owner:

On the Road Text Message:
"Road report. High winds in Missouri were fun. You can tell the tent is up there in a 30mph crosswind. But solid as hell no issues. We left Topeka this morning about 6 and are in western Kansas now, more crazy winds."

Text Message Monday:
"Monday morning preflight. Drive through some major storms yesterday. Tent is totally dry. So at least closed it’s awesome!"

Phone Conversation:
"We hit heavy, heavy rain and wind driving through Kansas. Opened the tent up once we go to Grand Station, CO. Tent is perfect and dry."

Text Message while on Kokopelli:
"OMG. We got one helluva field test. Started about 5pm. Monsoon level. Hail. Stopped about 9pm long enough to get in the tent. Then at 2am. BIG storm. Damn near blew the rain fly off. The straps saved it. However...DRY."

Safe to say - Looks like Test #1 is a resounding success.

Side feedback - need stronger gas springs to aid in opening faster.

More to come...Stay tuned.

Preflight Check:
xMsjrSu.jpg

Kokopelli Trailhead:
MS4DzyD.jpg

Last edited:

JJBiggs

Field test #1 is now in the books. Overall a fantastic success. We could not have asked for a better extreme weather test than what our friends unfortunately had to endure. That said - the tent kept them dry and most importantly safe.

Here are some awesome shots from the Kokopelli run down into Moab.

Q4bjuKN.jpg

vPLWYIo.jpg

56suHhn.jpg

nVcLHsr.jpg

Ltbo5By.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles