Tired of all the "crap" RTT's. So I made my own. - TERRAPOD!

lowrider1

JJ,

Don't mean to argue but I'm sure I can build the front and rear of the frame that will support more than enough to haul a canoe or most anything up to maybe 150 lbs. Roof of my cap will support 250 lbs on the Yakama tracks and spreading the load to the front of the cap and rear contour over the back window would increase that. I weigh 180 and have laid on top of the cap several times with no noticeable deflection.

I really like your idea of a one person RTT and I would just expand it to suit my perceived needs. Not trying to steal your plan and hope you are not offended.

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
JJ,

Don't mean to argue but I'm sure I can build the front and rear of the frame that will support more than enough to haul a canoe or most anything up to maybe 150 lbs. Roof of my cap will support 250 lbs on the Yakama tracks and spreading the load to the front of the cap and rear contour over the back window would increase that. I weigh 180 and have laid on top of the cap several times with no noticeable deflection.

I really like your idea of a one person RTT and I would just expand it to suit my perceived needs. Not trying to steal your plan and hope you are not offended.

Well sir, I have no idea who you really are...so it's not really an "argument".

My name is Chad Austin and I would have perhaps approached in a bit a of a different manner. Rather in a public forum...engage in a one-on-one discussion as gentlemen? I'm always happy to discuss design ideas over a beer. ?

A "cap" that can support added weight is, of course possible. But...this was not my intention, nor was it a goal of the unit. Supporting more weight means adding more weight. I want to have as low a profile / weight as possible to provide the best MPG's possible. Strong, lightweight materials are the way to go.

My design philosophy has always been in a minimalist approach. If I can accomplish the same outcome with as little as possible...comfortably...it's a win.

Lastly... I have zero interest on mass-manufacturing into an existing, over-bloated market of imported crap. I am a custom designer and fabricator of bespoke camping gear. My targeted customers are usually those who have camped for some time and simply have not found their preferred camp. If they wish to have whatever they dream up on their tent...so be it, I will be happy to accommodate. This is what I do. ;)

Cheers.?

Last edited:

Varano14

I'll be honest I read the title and thought "oh this should be interesting", fully expecting some half baked mashup of plywood and a ground tent. All I can say is wow these look incredible the attention to detail is amazing. It appears that both form and function have been maximized, I tip my hat to you. Will be following this for sure.

JJBiggs

I'll be honest I read the title and thought "oh this should be interesting", fully expecting some half baked mashup of plywood and a ground tent. All I can say is wow these look incredible the attention to detail is amazing. It appears that both form and function have been maximized, I tip my hat to you. Will be following this for sure.

I appreciate it. I know exactly what you speak of. There's a lot of cringe-worthy stuff out there.

C

JJBiggs

While in the middle of finishing up 002, I adapted some solar onto the top of the proto (001).

OOzKsRX.jpg

JJBiggs

Howdy folks. A quick update:

Finally found a seamstress with canvas experience. She is presently working on 002's fabric portion. Anxious to see how different it will be to my feeble attempt. Once I receive the fabric back from her, final assembly begins. All parts are in place and awaiting installation.

001 Mounting update: awaiting some parts to arrive. Should have the tent mounted up on the 4Runner very soon.

Stay tuned. More exciting stuff to come...

C

JJBiggs

Another little tid bit... The main tent fabric I chose is unbelievable. It is Polyester marine canvas, very similar to Sunbrella. It is UV stable, waterproof, breathable, abrasion resistant and did I mention... ridiculously durable.

Video demo:

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
They're coming together really well, Chad; good work.
Would make a good Jeep roof....

How uh....how do you get in it? I'm used to seeing these with ladder integrated or hard mounted to the rig.
Chad's really really tall and likely doesn't need a ladder. Just hops in.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Cool to follow on FB and see this happen.
Why make the side windows/doors hinge at the bottom and not the top?
Campteq clarification - Cutting of the roof is not required and only a few owners have cut their top.

Last edited:

JJBiggs

Cool to follow on FB and see this happen.
Why make the side windows/doors hinge at the bottom and not the top?
Campteq clarification - Cutting of the roof is not required and only a few owners have cut their top.

Doors with hinge at bottom make for a better weather seal.

Last edited:

JJBiggs

Just a quick note of thanks for all the positive messages and replies so far. I really appreciate all the enthusiasm for this project.

Design and creating like this brings a certain amount of joy. I am a constant tinkerer and to make something that others can use and enjoy as well, just makes it all the better. So...thanks. :)

More news soon as 002 & 003 are coming together.

Cheers.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Custom designed hinge. Sewed all 3 myself. On the hunt for a vendor to assist with the others.
Tucking material - no problems.

Would be interested in how you went about sewing the tent, and depending on where your manufacturing these (shipping, T/E, warranty repairs, etc....), quantities, materials, schedule and target manufacturing costs we maybe able to help. All textiles are US and sewn here in Colorado. @adventuretoolcompany

BTW, very cool design and execution! Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles