Tired of all the "crap" RTT's. So I made my own. - TERRAPOD!

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Quick disclosure. I am a professional industrial designer with 20 years experience designing and making "things". Do not try this at home without adult supervision. :D

Basically this all started because, I decided to completely simplify the rig & my setup. Over the past few months, I have been working on developing a "better" hard shell roof top tent. I am presently building 2 others to fit on a couple 80 Series LC's. This one is 001 (prototype). The others are coming together really nicely.

I was aiming for an aerodynamic, lightweight and low profile solution. Keeping in mind - it is a good size (54"x91"), I achieved the low profile part @ 5.2" tall and the aero factor. The weight came in at 117lbs. Not terrible for a hard shell tent.

As far as mounting goes, I am adapting a Rhino Rack backbone. Which looks like it will work out great with a total additional mounted height of 7.5" above the roof line.

Stay tuned on this one. I should be mounting it up on the 4Runner soon.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
That looks really nice, I like the attention to detail. Got any interior shots? Is it sturdy enough to mount a rack to and carry a couple of kayaks or bikes? How well can it be vented in a rainstorm?

JJBiggs

That looks really nice, I like the attention to detail. Got any interior shots? Is it sturdy enough to mount a rack to and carry a couple of kayaks or bikes? How well can it be vented in a rainstorm?

Upper rack - potentially with limited weight. The low profile nature required some slimming down of the lid portion of the tent.
Rainstorm - There is a rainfly (not shown in the pics) that allows the back window to be opened up. Once I get everything mounted up I'll post up some more pics.

C

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Very, very nice attention to design and detail.

So next, maybe you could make one with no bed inside and instead cut out an internal opening, to mount on top of a truck camper shell for simple poptop unit (ala an Honda Element ECamper ?).

There’s definitely a market for this. That internally accessed roof top tent pop up concept has been often discussed here but so far I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone building one.

JJBiggs

Very, very nice attention to design and detail.

So next, maybe you could make one with no bed inside and instead cut out an internal opening, to mount on top of a truck camper shell for simple poptop unit (ala an Honda Element ECamper ?).

There’s definitely a market for this. That internally accessed roof top tent pop up concept has been often discussed here but so far I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone building one.

I understand where you are coming from (aka...similar to the old "CampTeq" style hard shell that was designed for the 80 Series. However - most people do not want to cut an opening into the roof of their vehicle. I preferred the versatility to remove the tent if desired.

Gascan4X4

All chaps, no jeans.
This look really, really cool!

For any of you interested in following the process and seeing more projects and ideas, visit https://www.facebook.com/terrapod

Thanks for the link... over there you said:
Good chance we will begin an online group funding page to help get things jumpstarted. Look for that post coming soon.
Is there any other way I can keep track/get updates on this other than facebook (I'm one of those odd-ducks who's never had facebook and never will)?

JJBiggs

Thanks for the link... over there you said:
Is there any other way I can keep track/get updates on this other than facebook (I'm one of those odd-ducks who's never had facebook and never will)?

3 forums posted about the tent. 1000's of views and 800+ followers on FB. Out of all that, 3 guys (1 from each forum) ask to have an individual update.

I'll do my best. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles