Tire Trusting

Jack90

Hi everyone,

I found two companies who make a 37 x 12.5 Load E tire for a 17 inch wheel. This combination is very hard to find. Usually you have to go with a 13.50 or 18 inch wheel to get Load E.

Company 1 - Is a decent sized company named Greenball who has been around over 40 years and makes their tires in Indonesia - https://www.greenballtires.com/brands/kanati/trail-hog-at

Company 2 - Is a small company, the owner is very nice and confirmed the tires complies with all Federal Motor Vehicle Standards.

What's your advice...would you trust these tires that aren't as well known as the Nitto/Toyo brand on a 3500 truck with a 2,000 lbs slide in truck camper?

Darwin

Explorer
"E" load is almost meaningless these days. The number you are looking for should the the load carrying capacity and at what PSI.

That tire you are looking at is only rated for 3,500 lbs, and to get the "load E" rating that is at a whopping 80 psi.

The nitto tire will carry the same load but do it at 50 psi. Have the tire rock hard at 80 psi vs 50 psi might make the truck more stable on the highway, that is about the only benefit I can see.

If you went to an 18" wheel you could get a "load E" tire rated for 4,000 lbs and at only 65 psi. The better choice in my opinion.

"E" load is almost meaningless these days. The number you are looking for should the the load carrying capacity and at what PSI.

That tire you are looking at is only rated for 3,500 lbs, and to get the "load E" rating that is at a whopping 80 psi.

The nitto tire will carry the same load but do it at 50 psi. Have the tire rock hard at 80 psi vs 50 psi might make the truck more stable on the highway, that is about the only benefit I can see.

If you went to an 18" wheel you could get a "load E" tire rated for 4,000 lbs and at only 65 psi. The better choice in my opinion.
Moreover, even if your tires are rated for 80 psi, your rubber valve stems probably are not.

jadmt

ignore button user
I would not trust an offbrand tire on a big rig. Give me a D rated Toyo or I would get an 18" Toyo in E if you are determined to get E load.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
The Kenda KR601 is available in 37-12.5 R17 but claims a D rating. I have the 33x10.5 R17 for a while now, maybe 12-14k miles. I’ve been pretty happy with them. They are noticeably heavier than a C rated tire but seem to perform well and have been reasonably quiet until this last rotation, I let them feather out a bit and now they are throbbing on the highway. I’m hoping that wears off in a 1000 miles or so. I think they are worth a look anyway.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

The D rated 37-12.50-17's have a more flexible,thinner sidewall than the 13.50's. I've felt them firsthand. Nitto, and BFG come to mind. 18's are a good compromise indeed. My buddy had BFG D-rated 315-70-17 KO's of the past have complete tread separation and sidewall failure repeatedly in Baja aired down for well over a hundred miles with a 10,500# Ram with utility bed and Callen camper shell. All axle weights were well within the specs. I drove it. It's squirmy as heck. He finally pony'd up and bought some Nitto 315-70-17 E-rated Ridge Grapplers. Not one issue. The KO's might have done as well but after having three tires fail he's had it with BFG products.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Kenda is not a small company , been in the tire game for a long time and make fantastic motorcycle tires . Had a set of kenda klever on my truck and was quite blown away by the thickness of the sidewall and the drive quality .

twodollars

My latest truck came with kanati trail hogs on it. Fairly quiet for the tread. But they are gone now as one was egg shaped. No balancing that vibration away. My experience in cheap tires had been out of round or balance issues. If you have a local dealer to work through those potential issues, go for it. If your talking mail order, I'd be hesitant.

gatorgrizz27

BFG KM3’s in 37x12.5x17 are rated load range D, but 3525 lbs. Their 37x13.5x17 are rated E, but only 3195 lbs. The 13.5’s are 4 lbs heavier, so I doubt there is much difference in construction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier