Tire shopping and questions..

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I didn't see where you wanted pizza cutters, but 33x10.5r15 isnt that rare of a size.

I definitely wouldnt recommend super swampers, I wore through a set in 15k miles. Not ideal for a road-going vehicle.

nick_n_ii

I didn't see where you wanted pizza cutters, but 33x10.5r15 isnt that rare of a size.

I definitely wouldnt recommend super swampers, I wore through a set in 15k miles. Not ideal for a road-going vehicle.

Need a tire that is able to be used from east to west wheeling and drive on the road with comfort. This Jeep will be a do all well, nothing super. But with a lot of time spent on comfort.

roving1

235/85R16 ST/Maxx are a good decently aggressive tread that will still gobble of freeway miles. Narrow 32" tires. Mine are holding up better than BFG KO2 I ditched these for.IMG_20190914_024335.jpg

Edit*my bad I missed the 15" wheel statement. I would probably find 16 wheels as was suggested. 15" tires are going to disappear soon. :(

This guy has my favorite review of them.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
15" tires are going to disappear soon. :(
I doubt that's going to happen. There's plenty of things that still run 15" rims and it seems popular with UTVs. The selection may get smaller but you can still get BFG KO2 in 215/75R15 which I think is what you run 1980s Subarus and Synchro vans. So I'd think common sizes will be around until we can't gasoline anymore at least.

roving1

I doubt that's going to happen. There's plenty of things that still run 15" rims and it seems popular with UTVs. The selection may get smaller but you can still get BFG KO2 in 215/75R15 which I think is what you run 1980s Subarus and Synchro vans. So I'd think common sizes will be around until we can't gasoline anymore at least.
Very poorly phrased on my part. I just meant sizes one may be interested in in a brand/type one is interested in. For sure there will always be someone selling something. But for me, probably not what I want.

nick_n_ii

I think IF I stay 15's, It will either be Maxxis or General...

I've had way too many BFGs fail over the years..

billiebob

I would probably find 16 wheels as was suggested. 15" tires are going to disappear soon. :(
You are right, 17s are pretty much taking over.
Just like we lost
10", the Mini wheel
12", the Datsun wheel
13", the everything British
14", the Chevy wheel
15s are on their last stand.

buellconvert

You are right, 17s are pretty much taking over.
Just like we lost
10", the Mini wheel
12", the Datsun wheel
13", the everything British
14", the Chevy wheel
15s are on their last stand.
Seems like 17"s are being passed over in popularity with manufacturers now for 18"s ugh when will this madness end? I would love to put 16"s on my Silverado, but with the front disc sizes now a 17" wheel is the minimum I can run and I won't ever go above that if I have any choice in the matter.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

rnArmy

Adventurer
31x10.5x15" tires are easy to find. You only gain one inch in clearance when going to a 33" tire, and the complexity of the lift increases when lifting a ZJ for 31" tires vs. 33" tires.

Shown below on 31 x 10.5 x 15" tires and a 3.5" IRO lift, and a pic of us at Eagle Plains on the Dempster Highway.

Attachments

• ZJ parking garage.1.jpg
    ZJ parking garage.1.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Yukon Dempster Eagle Pass Copy.2.JPG
    Yukon Dempster Eagle Pass Copy.2.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
A 265/75/16" tire is technically 31.6" x 10.5"; a 235/85/16" tire is technically 31.7" x 9.25". However, usually I've seen the 235/85 tires only as an "E" rated tire, where the 265/75 tire can be found as a "D" rated tire. Might make a difference in ride the D vs. E rated tire. Otherwise they're about the same size as a 31" x 10.5" on a 15" rim (and often as a "C" rated tire).

And if you're lifting your ZJ and putting taller tires on it, you'll want to re-gear the axles. We went from the factory 3.55 (or was it 3.7-something?) to 4.10 gears with the 31" tires. The Dana 35 axle is weak (which is what you probably have), and the Dana 44A has limited gearing and traction device options (and has an aluminum center section). Swap out the whole rear axle with a new one made to your specs (we had a TrueTrac put in ours).

ZJ rear diff.4.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles