Tire review for the big boys, falken at3w on f250

Wahayes83

This is a tire review for the full size crowd. It can be useful for others as well but is based on my experience with this tire on a 3/4 ton rig in 265/75r16 10 ply sizing.

I have had this tire for a bit over 7 months now and have just over 7000 miles on them at this point so I feel I have enough miles to make an accurate review.

Road manners- tire is great on highway. It does awesome in rain and dry pavement and snow traction is awesome. These are probably the best all terrain I have used in the snow period and that is including a set of k02 bfgs I once had. They are wearing like iron and even though my truck is heavy have little to no noticeable wear after 7k of on and offroad use. This is especially impressive considering I have the tire eating ttb suspension and have not actually roatated them yet. ( Doh!) Also this is considering I run lower than the recommended pressure as to soften my 3/4 tons bone jarring ride a bit, so to see how well they are wearing is awesome. In rain I notice zero loss in traction vs dry pavement. Keep in mind my truck has all of 210 whopping hp from the factory so I won't be doing drifting burnouts anytime soon but they feel extremely stable in all the rain conditions we have had lately. (Salt lake valley In Utah)

Snow- these tires love snow. Off-road or on they chug through it with little to no traction loss. The siping I feel has alot to do with this.

Mud-I have had them in sloppy mountain melt mud and can say they have gotten me out of everything I have put them in with relatively low drama. That being said , mud tires they are not. They have performed well enough in mud that I would say as long as it's not your everyday chore, they are competent in this terrain but if I were in it more often I would want something else. They cake over quite a bit in the mud but a quick blip of the throttle cleans them fairly quickly. When I was down in capitol reef np area (southern Utah) in the washes, the clay like mud caked them up pretty good when raining, though like I said , occasional blip of throttle would clean them out and they never got me in where I couldn't get out.
Rocks-they do amazing and have held up well. I have had them on many rocky mountain trails as well as southern utah desert and though I have not been easy on them they grip well and have held up with zero chunking at all.

sand- In deep sand they find good traction and though I have become uncomfortable at times due to the depth of sand and getting stuck due to the weight of my truck, this has never actually happened yet and the tires kept plugging through.

Overall -I am really impressed with these tires and would recommend them for someone who is a weekend warrior like myself. They do double duty very well , have good road manners, eliminate any need for separate winter tires and are wearing wonderfully. I commute 45 plus miles a day on them with no problem and they have handled every off-road task I have given them. I did have one tire that was replaced due to being out of round when new but the tire shop replaced this free of charge due to the defect. Price is significantly less than some other name brands out there and the performance is on par with more expensive brands. If you see alot of mud you may want to look elsewhere. It's not that it won't do it, but there are other tires out there that will fit the bill better. I have had these tires in ALOT of mud since I got them though so they will do it if needed . If needing a great Swiss army knife tire this one is up for it. I liked them so much I bought a second set for my wife's f150 supercrew and they have been flawless on that truck as well. Hopefully this review will be useful for you all if you are looking into these tires. All pictures are after 7k miles of use, penny for tread depth reference.

Attachments

• KIMG0980.JPG
    KIMG0980.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
  • KIMG0981.JPG
    KIMG0981.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 107
  • KIMG0982.JPG
    KIMG0982.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 88
  • KIMG0984.JPG
    KIMG0984.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 87
  • KIMG0983.JPG
    KIMG0983.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 82

Explorerinil

Observer
Good review, I’ve heard really good things about the falken tires especially their AT’s. I wish they made more larger E rated tires.

lilkia

What was the tread depth to start? Im on a tire quest for my 2500 burb. Im leaning to the 285s.

Overlandtowater

The more I hear about these tires the more I want to ditch my Cooper AT3's and go this route. I have a buddy that just put a set on his 3500 ram that he uses towing daily and only gets about 25000 miles out of any tire he has ever put on and he says the AT3w is doing better than anything else he has put on it.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
The more I hear about these tires the more I want to ditch my Cooper AT3's and go this route. I have a buddy that just put a set on his 3500 ram that he uses towing daily and only gets about 25000 miles out of any tire he has ever put on and he says the AT3w is doing better than anything else he has put on it.
the AT3w's are black magic. They have a very soft and grippy compound that you can deflect with your finger, but still somehow manage to wear like iron.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Your impressions mirror mine. I run them on an F350 diesel and they handle as you describe. Mine are 285/70-17. The only thing I can add is that they handle loads really well, too. Whether 2K+lbs in the bed, my ~10K 5th wheel, my loaded 3-horse slant tongue pull, or my flatbed loaded with hay, the perform without drama. When these are done I plan on replacing them with the same tire.

Big50

Adventurer
Good review, I’ve heard really good things about the falken tires especially their AT’s. I wish they made more larger E rated tires.

They are rated to (edit) 3800+ lbs a tire so plenty for HD use IMO. I have roughly 10,000 towing miles on the MT's (same ratings) and they haved performed flawlessly on my F250. No flex or sway when towing. Fully loaded for our Baja runs with chase gear and truck on the trailer, the truck weighs in around 10,800 lbs and 6300ish over the rear axle.

My buddy put them on his Ram 2500 and stoked that they flexed less than his e-rated procomp AT's he was running.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
They are rated to 3500+ lbs a tire so plenty for HD use IMO. I have roughly 10,000 towing miles on the MT's (same ratings) and they haved performed flawlessly on my F250. No flex or sway when towing. Fully loaded for our Baja runs with chase gear and truck on the trailer, the truck weighs in around 10,800 lbs and 6300ish over the rear axle.

My buddy put them on his Ram 2500 and stoked that they flexed less than his e-rated procomp AT's he was running.
Keep us informed. The diesel's are super heavy so I hope the tires work out .I've seen them firsthand.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I’ve been running ST Maxxs for the past two sets on my 12,000 lb 3500 Cummins /Northern Lite combo, and since I’m now 50, and have 2 lifted and mud tired Toyotas, I feel less and less like I need anything too aggressive on the diesel. I’ve been looking at going to the Cooper AT3 XLTs in 285/75-18, but now you guys have me thinking about these Falken things... Both have tread wear warranties (Coopers is 10% longer), and the Falkens get the Snowflake vs Coopers M+S. Not really looking to be a snowflake myself... Has anyone here ever tried to cash in on tread wear warranty from Falken or Cooper?

See what I did there?

Last edited:

Overlandtowater

never tried to cash in but I do know I have 50,000+ on my cooper at3's with about a 1/4" of thread left on them... its on a 1500 suburban not a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. But after seeing the conversation about the Falken's I'm thinking of switching brands.

CCH

Adventurer
I’ve been running ST Maxxs for the past two sets on my 12,000 lb 3500 Cummins /Northern Lite combo, and since I’m now 50, and have 2 lifted and mud tired Toyotas, I feel less and less like I need anything too aggressive on the diesel. I’ve been looking at going to the Cooper AT3 XLTs in 285/75-18, but now you guys have me thinking about these Falken things... Both have tread wear warranties (Coopers is 10% longer), and the Falkens get the Snowflake vs Coopers M+S. Not really looking to be a snowflake myself... Has anyone here ever tried to cash in on tread wear warranty from Falken or Cooper?
View attachment 515879

See what I did there?

Not trying to derail the Falken thread, but I just put A-T3 XLTs on my Chevy 2500HD and they have the apparently coveted snowflake. Gave strong consideration to the Falkens though.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Not trying to derail the Falken thread, but I just put A-T3 XLTs on my Chevy 2500HD and they have the apparently coveted snowflake. Gave strong consideration to the Falkens though.

Since I’m looking at both, what led you to pick the AT3 over the Falkens? I’m leaning the AT3 way based on positive experiences with Cooper, but I’m definitely interested in the Falkens.

Anyone know where are Falkens made?

Burb One

Adventurer
I have been on the last two generations of Falken Wilpdeaks- AT3 and before AT2- on my pretty heavy Suburban (two buddies with identical Suburbans are also on Falken AT3's). All are 35's Load Range E
We all have 10,000-15,000 miles on them each and they don't look a day old. They grip awesome in the rain, mud and snow for an AT that is barely noticeable at high speeds. We also do a few trails that have very sharp rocks and edges, and with our weight the tires take a beating. The Falkens have marked the least out of any tires (including K02's), where I had seen some tears on other tires.

Our buddy went from Cooper At3's that he wore out to Wildpeaks AT3's on his FJ and trailer. He says new the Falkens are slightly better in the slippery stuff, and about the same on road. He is on the Load Range D tire though and 32's. I'm not sure if that changes anything in these constructions.

Also, at least my Falken 35's Load Range E has the snowflake symbol.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of the options, however, I can say that when I need new tires Falken has my business again (and again) for the AT3's, they are hands down the best tire I have yet to run (have had KO2's, Dynapros, etc. as well)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94