Tire Repairs: Show your repair and tell your story

digitaldelay

Explorer
^^^Nicely done, Crom. I like the Hi-Lift attachment for the super-sliders. Makes me wish I went with those instead of the basic sliders, but I was already adding 80 lbs. to my limited payload capacity.

Hey, couple questions on the Duratracs:

What pressure do you run on the highway, and what pressure were they at when you got the punctures? Was it a stone-drilling situation through the tread void?

I'm just trying to figure out what the cause was. I know "flats happen" but frankly, I'm a little concerned because I've run low profile HT's in DV (aired down), winter tires (aired up) and have some AT's ready to go for this Spring, all P-rated. Seeing LT's (albeit C's) suffer flats in DV has me thinking I've just been lucky so far.

Jason

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
^^^Nicely done, Crom. I like the Hi-Lift attachment for the super-sliders. Makes me wish I went with those instead of the basic sliders, but I was already adding 80 lbs. to my limited payload capacity.

Hey, couple questions on the Duratracs:

What pressure do you run on the highway, and what pressure were they at when you got the punctures? Was it a stone-drilling situation through the tread void?

I'm just trying to figure out what the cause was. I know "flats happen" but frankly, I'm a little concerned because I've run low profile HT's in DV (aired down), winter tires (aired up) and have some AT's ready to go for this Spring, all P-rated. Seeing LT's (albeit C's) suffer flats in DV has me thinking I've just been lucky so far.

Jason

Thanks. I run 32 PSI at all four corners on pavement. On that trip they were 25 PSI. There is more to the story about my tire repair that I've writen (long version on Tacomaworld). Least to say, I don't know for sure what made the holes as I never found the offending objects and it's entirely possible it happened on the 268 miles of pavement to get trail side, or 70 miles of graded dirt road. However I have to confess that I absolutely beat the crap out of the tires in the rocks at Hole in the Wall trail (7 miles). I wanted to stress test my truck so I was driving like it was baja 1000. My gut tells me that was it. :)

Next time I'm off road I will air down to 20 psi and refrain from driving like it's Baja 1000.

Hope that helps.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
So, I got new tires. This provided an opportunity to test both kits. On the old tires, I decided to drill some holes and plug them. After using both the Extreme Outback and Safety Seal kits, I'm not sure I can claim a winner based on the actual plugs. Both seem to plug the hole and would never come out on their own. As for the tools handles, reamers, and insertion tools, I'm going to lean towards Safety Seal. Although the EO handles are solid metal, the SS handles feel better in my hand. The SS Reamer is more substantial, but at the same time is much bigger. Having both is nice. The real difference is in the insertion needle. The SS is thinner, plus there is a retention T on the insertion needle that is a nice feature. It may not be needed, but it is nice to use the retention T for peace of mind knowing the plug will not be pulled back through. Both plugs, work with both needles and all the EO tools fit in the SS handles.

So which is better, I feel it will be personal preference. Neither is lacking in quality.

If you want the most complete kit, EO wins hands down. The addition of all valves, stems, patches..etc make it a much more complete kit. However, I still feel it is lacking as a complete kit. Both are missing a Valve Stem Puller. To really finish it off, you need the ability to stitch a sidewall. Some tarred twine and sail needle works great for this and can also be used to help lock synthetic rope splices. You could use the insertion needle to push the twine through holes on both sides of the side wall tear as well. A hand drill could be used to make the holes on both sides of the tear, or the reamer could be used to poke the holes. Next you need a way to get the tire off the bead. Breaking the bead can be done with a Hi-Lift, but Tyre Levers are need to get the bead off.

Now the very last recourse would be to use a tube. You would probably have to ruin your rim as the valve stems locations would not line up. To make this work, you'd have to pull a bead, insert the tube in the tire to see where the valve would need to be. Remove tube. Drill new hole. Insert tube. Get the bead back on the rim and inflate. I cannot imagine ever doing this, but it would be better than being stranded.

So the ultimate kit would be:

Tyre Plyers and Levers
Extreme Outback Kit supplemented with the Reamer and Needle from Safety Seal
Tarred Twine or even wire
Tubes
Valve Stem Puller

94Discovery

Adventurer
Nice story Crom! Thanks for sharing.

Having a great kit will make a good story...But not having a kit or a spare tire can leave..in my case a very mad wife.....

Extreme Outback sells one of the best tire repair kits around. OJ had great things to say about it. Tools fit in your hand easier. Super high quality.

Snip20141106_1.png

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=196

ARB also offers a great kit for the money:

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=379

Snip20141106_2.png

Owning a plug kit out in the backcountry is a great backup to have just incase....and will keep the wife happy

;)
Was lookiing for a kit for over a year ,extreem outback is the best so far only missing a tube to satisfie my retard brain 😁
I am buying it Thanks for sharing .

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I assembled my own kit. Put it into an old plastic shotgun cleaning kit.

67aac061f6afff39e20a411c0edbdeb2.jpg

jlocster

Explorer
An excerpt from my Los Angeles to Prudoe Bay trip report, Summer 2014:

A Dalton Highway Cautionary Tale
A group of local Fairbanks guys had decided to rent a Suburban for the weekend to make the drive up to Prudhoe Bay. This is big a no-no with the rental companies, of course, who don't want their vehicles damaged. On the way up the Dalton, the guys blew out two tires, which they were able to get patched up in Prudhoe Bay.

On their return trip down the Dalton, they they blew out two more tires, were able to borrow another spare from a passing Suburban, and then blew out a 3rd tire and were stuck on the side of the road just north of Coldfoot. One of the guys then hitched a ride into Coldfoot with the 2nd Suburban, along with a flat tire, to get it patched. Luckily for them, Coldfoot has a tire repair guy.

After overhearing the story while eating in Coldfoot, we agreed to drive the patched tire back out to the sidelined car so they could bring the vehicle into Coldfoot to get the other tires fixed. By the time they swapped on the newly patched tire and reached Coldfoot, they had another flat in a 4th tire.

Tire repair hi-jinks in Coldfoot
WP_20140707_009.jpg

They ended up patching 4 tires in Coldfoot and buying an old spare that the tire guy had laying around. At this point we told them we'd follow them the 253 miles to Fairbanks. Since we were carrying a patch kit and had a compressor on-board, we could help them if need be. Not surprisingly, they got two more flats on the way to Fairbanks, one of which was able to be repaired roadside allowing them to limp home at 35 mph. Grand total of flats over 2 days on the Dalton Highway: 8.

We had left Prudhoe Bay at 2PM Monday and didn't get in to Fairbanks until 6AM Tuesday. After 414 miles up and 414 miles back, the Montero never skipped a beat.

Postscript
The guys later told us that upon returning the Suburban, they told the rental company about all the flats, leaving out the part about the Dalton Highway, of course, and the rental company refunded them one day's rental fee for their troubles.

Last edited:

jlocster

Explorer
It was most likely due the combination of their Suburban being a heavy vehicle on fairly low profile street tires, being aggressively driven. That said, on our way up the Dalton we passed an older German couple that had completed the trip in a newer Volvo station wagon on very low profile tires and they said they had no problem at all.

rayra

Expedition Leader
This was on a road trip to Albuquerque from L.A.. Heard a tick-tick-tick in a parking lot and thought I had a rock jammed in the tread. Found this.

tirewire_zpsgux8kork.jpg

I let it be the rest of the day, had to go look for Heisenberg at the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History. No noticeable air loss. Went ahead and pulled it out next morning and did the old skool ream and goopy string thing. No discernable air hiss when I pulled it. Just didn't want to drive back to L.A. with that in the tire. More worried about it flying out and puncturing something in the engine compartment, than the tire going flat.

Only other was again on a return trip from a high desert trip, tooling down the 99 fwy, heard a staccato sound like a bunch of mud clods and before I figured it out the tire let go altogether and the butt end of my pickup was all over the road.

trucktireblowout1_zpsnzlwd1te.jpg
trucktireblowout2_zpsddk63lsp.jpg

I was close enough to home I said f it and called AAA for a flatbed tow. Best I could guess, I'd holed it in the desert and didn't notice it bleeding down while I was flying down the highway at my usual 75+ until it overheated and disintegrated. Tire itself was scarcely 'middle aged'.

eta I carry some of everything these days, green slime, fix-a-flat, the aforementioned old skool kit, and a cheap air pump.. And a good size-matching spare so I can just change it and get back to business.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Wow! Can you identify the reason for this?

Jason

I am not sure on the Dalton but I know in Maine when they grade the logging roads in the spring it turns up all the rocks and those sharp edges love to eat tires. On a trip with two vehicles one year we had 5 flats between the two vehicles. Had to wait in the rain for a few hours while one tire was dragged out to civilization for a patching. The key is to keep the speeds under 40-45 mph or so which we had not done. Rather go slower and avoid the flats for sure.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Watch for Ice

So, I don't think I have pictures, but the story brings back fond memories...

During my college years, I had a 78 K10 Shortbox. We were on a cold-but-not-quite-winter wheelin trip to a beach on Lake Superior. I had fallen somewhat behind the group in front of me and came to a fork where vehicles had gone both left and right around some trees. We were in about 3 or 4 inches of snow, and my co-driver said "take the left"

I blindly followed instructions, only to learn that "the left" was a frozen pond. Apparently the smaller rigs skated across, but I was treated to a crashing sound and the front of my truck disappearing through about 2" of ice.

Towing out backwards didnt work, as I was hung up on slabs of ice... This is the afternoon that I learned how front tow points need to be obviously identifiable by touch to someone reaching blindly into ice water...

After a signinificant application of horsepower to a front tow strap, and some axe work to continue breaking ice, we got the truck out... Only to discover that ice took the entire valve assembly off of the front wheel, much like slicing it off with a knife. I don't know about you, but I find being soaked in ice water up to your waist, with arms wet as well and 20mph wind in 30 degree weather are great motivators to learn tire changing at speeds approaching NASCAR pit crew... Or what NASCAR could accomplish with hand tools and hypothermia anyway...

So, the tire part of the story is that I've added a set of valve stem assemblies, not just inserts, to my stuff I haul around in the vehicles these days. I carry a small air compressor, a pressure gauge, a repair kit (not sure who makes it) and a set of spare valve assemblies. I really can't imagine repairing a tire in the field unless it was already my second flat. I would always choose a tire change as the first line. Generally I'm pretty tire conscious as I drive, and outside of high school and college I can't remember ever getting a flat on a truck or jeep.

It was good to think back to falling through a pond though... If you're in a heavy rig, make sure to follow the other heavy rigs!

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
This is not a story about things done correctly, but one of mistakes that should be learned from. I'm sure most of you would never be so careless, but perhaps a young impetus lad may learn something.

I had been working a lot and had been neglecting my sons a bit when I got an unexpected 4 days off midweek. At around 9 pm I decided that the boys and I were going to go camping and explore some mines in the Mohave, leaving tomorrow morning. I found a new route that looked fun on the map and went to bed.

Since our truck at the time was dual duty, I had a lot of packing to do quickly that morning, and since we had only been "overlanding " for a few years and we usually went with a good group of guys that had everything, I hadn't acquired many of the necessary safety items. Since our truck is lifted on 35's I usually brought my high lift with plywood base and some 4" x 4" blocks... Didn't bring them. Usually borrow a 12v tire pump... Didn't. Tire plug kit...nope. Full size spare... Nope, to cheap. Running solo... You bet. At least we have a butt load of food, water, good gps and ham communications.

So we find this trail and it looks like it isn't used much, we wind up having to take a detour for about a mile through fairly dense desert brush. Obviously not another good decision. But we're less than a days hike from a fairly busy road and we're having a great time trying to find a route up and over this pass. So we get back to a reasonable two track as its getting dark so we set up camp on a nice plateau with great views. Contact Mom on the ham, tell her where we are and where we're going the next day.

We wake in the morning to a flat front tire. I had a 1"-1 1/2" branch stuck through the inner sidewall. It was quite fun changing a 35" tire on a lifted duramax with a bottle jack in the sand. I'm glad it was the front, I don't know how I would have avoided destroying my LSD or swapping front to rear with my limited gear. But we made it out on the original tire and drove to Baker, a little less than a 100 miles. Nobody there would touch the sidewall, so I had to drive to Victorville to buy another tire.

The boys are tired of sitting in the truck all day doing nothing. It's late and they know their 45 min from home so we call it a day and head home.

Moral of the story. Don't be cheap, buy what you need and bring it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier