Tire recommendation needed for ride quality and mild offroading

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
Very similar to the Michelin Defender LTX (tread style) is the Kumho Crugen HT51, available in both P- and LT- designations. This tire does carry the 3PMSF designation. I had a set on my old Tundra, but only long enough for me to put maybe 1000 completely silent, stable miles on them. Mostly highway, some rough rez roads. No complaints at all. I’m fact, I’m considering picking up a set for the extra wheel set I just bought for my new Tundra. Depending on the size, can be had for way less money than the Michelin.

rruff

Explorer
Sequoia does have 4x4 and upgraded 17" wheels from the stock 16" wheels.

Looks like stock size is 31"? I upgraded you to 32s... ;)

Here is a listing of 265/70r17 tires that are available... many in both standard and E load. When comparing similar tires, the speed rating is a decent proxy for MPG. For your priorities a street tread and standard load probably will serve you best. Lots of good options to choose from.

I randomly ran across this one. Has a T speed rating, 70k mile warranty, great reviews, and is pretty cheap (~$170 each currently). Just an example. Do your own research.

ronaldos

Would recommend Maxxis M8008 ST to anyone, I am very satisfied with these tires. Good flat ground contact and not "rounded" like some trailer tires

pith helmet

What psi are you running in the KO2s? For on-road I’d make sure they are up to about 55psi and it will reduce the noise from half worm tires, especially if the rotation wasn’t done properly by the previous owner.
I have been through a couple sets of KO2‘s on a Sierra and am on a new set on a Tacoma and I have only ever experienced noise when I was pushing oil changes/rotations to the limit due to high daily mileage and had some uneven wear. Great compromise tire. I’ve gotten 70k from them.

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
I put Falken WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL All- Terrain Radial Tire-255/55R18XL 109V on my 2014 Outlander this weekend. Surprised they are pretty darned quiet. Not much different than the summer tires (Achilles ATR Sport2).

dstefan

Absolutely LOVE Cooper AT3s. Had Duratracs on my Tacoma and while they were great off road, got pretty noisy after about 10,000 miles on the highway. The Coopers come in three flavors (basically size ranges and load rating). We put the AT34S on our basically stock 4runner, and they’ve been absolutely wonderful on the highway and great on the small amount of off-road that we’ve done with it. We have the AT3XLS, which are oversized and heavy, on our Tundra with a camper and they perform spectacularly on road and off-road. A big plus we didn’t see any real mileage hit on the 4runner. Both are totally quiet on the highway. There’s also an in between version – the AT3.

I initially formed an interest in them from an Overland Journal review from years ago comparing AT tires off-road. The Cooper AT3‘s were the editors choice in that review. Check them out!

displacedtexan

Absolutely LOVE Cooper AT3s. Had Duratracs on my Tacoma and while they were great off road, got pretty noisy after about 10,000 miles on the highway. The Coopers come in three flavors (basically size ranges and load rating). We put the AT34S on our basically stock 4runner, and they’ve been absolutely wonderful on the highway and great on the small amount of off-road that we’ve done with it. We have the AT3XLS, which are oversized and heavy, on our Tundra with a camper and they perform spectacularly on road and off-road. A big plus we didn’t see any real mileage hit on the 4runner. Both are totally quiet on the highway. There’s also an in between version – the AT3.

I initially formed an interest in them from an Overland Journal review from years ago comparing AT tires off-road. The Cooper AT3‘s were the editors choice in that review. Check them out!
A buddy of mine and I swear by them.

My F250 (much heavier than stock), his F150, and now his Ranger.

Tough, quiet, work great on and off road.

Bama67

I replaced my Michelin ATX LT2 with Falken AT3W and the Falkens are SO MUCH better offroad and in the snow and don't seem to be any louder on the highway, 40k miles on them now with tons of life left.

drabina

An update: I just installed Hankook Dynapro AT2 tires. The noise from the worn out KO2s is gone. Haven't tested the traction as I just got the tires yesterday but if they anything like the ATMs I had, they should be fine. I wanted to get the Falkens but none of the local places had them in stock and didn't want to wait a couple of weeks to get them.

TGK

I've had Michelin AT2's on three trucks, an F250 SD, a Toyota Tacoma and my current F150. Great highway tires, high mileage and have stood up extremely well to miles of gravel, washboard and rock over the years. Never flatted once while towing or with a camper on the rear of the F250. Having said that, traction in snow and mud etc., is likely not as great as some of the others. Maybe that's the trade off. I've heard good things about the Cooper AT3's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles