Tire recommendation needed for ride quality and mild offroading

drabina

I am looking for a tire recommendation. In order of importance (from most to least), the keywords are: good pavement ride quality (quiet), decent wet/snow (I live in NJ) and decent for mild offroading (read: fire roads). I just bought a Sequoia that came with BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A K02 tires but the noise is not something I can tolerate. I used to have a full size truck with Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 tires and I did like them but that was 5 or so years ago. TireRack now has AT2 but I am not sure if they are different than ATM.

Any recommendations for a tire that is going to spend 95% on the pavement and 5% on fire roads (camping and fishing trips, maybe some bouncy ride once a year if we can find some trails in NJ)? Sequoia does have 4x4 and upgraded 17" wheels from the stock 16" wheels.

Reactions: plh

arlindsay1992

I don't know if your tires are super old or worn out, but I've been very happy with the three sets of BFG AT tires I've bought new. I had one set of KO's and two sets of KO2's. Never noisy for me, balanced once when new and never had a problem til they were removed. They all lasted a long time. Two sets were removed at around 50% wear (45,000-55,000 miles) and sold, the third set is currently installed. Great traction in wet snow, good in east coast off road stuff. Had them on a 4Runner and a Toyota Pickup. I have two other friends with the same tires on 4Runners and they both loved them. One of the friends used it more for street stuff, the other for more off road stuff, but they they both loved them.

plh

Explorer
Sequoia that came with BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A K02 tires but the noise is not something I can tolerate.

I'm surprised these are loud on this chassis. I swapped Falkens off my Montero in favor of BFG KO2 because the Falkens were so loud. KO2s are much quieter for me. I do understand that various chassis construction can greatly effect cabin NVH.

drabina

Thanks for replies. The KO2 tires are probably 50% worn but the noise is very noticeable. Even previous owner said that his wife didn't want to drive the Sequoia because of the noise. Anyway, I will upgrade the suspension (A-arms are rusted, bushings could use replacement, etc), probably do a 2" lift but the car is not going to be used for any type of serious offroading. Fire roads are probably 99.99% of what the car is going to see once it leaves the pavement. So I could probably get away with a tire that's more road than terrain oriented. Any input on the Hankooks that I had before on my truck (DynaPro ATM)? It was a while ago but don't remember that noise was bothering me.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Currently run Falken AT3/W as a change from my usual BFG AT KO2. These tires ride a little softer but I wouldn't call them much quieter. Still a relatively aggressive AT tire which come with downsides like noise, MPG hit from the weight, throwing up captured pebbles, etc.

I imagine the LTX or similar tire would be easier for you to tolerate. I view them as semi-aggressive M+S tires, which are honesty what most people really need.

I run aggressive AT tires because half the time I actually need mud and deep snow tires and the other half of the time street tires. So something like a KO2 is just awful enough at everything pretty much equally that I don't have to keep multiple sets of tires around.

arlindsay1992

I can agree with that. I had a similar predecessor to the LTX and was very happy. Long wear, quiet, good road manners, and good on snow covered pavement. Obviously they don't work as well if it gets muddy and slick off road but if that's not a significant part of your intentions then you'll be fine.

billiebob

I am looking for a tire recommendation. In order of importance (from most to least), the keywords are: good pavement ride quality (quiet), decent wet/snow (I live in NJ) and decent for mild offroading (read: fire roads). I just bought a Sequoia that came with BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A K02 tires but the noise is not something I can tolerate. I used to have a full size truck with Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 tires and I did like them but that was 5 or so years ago. TireRack now has AT2 but I am not sure if they are different than ATM.

Any recommendations for a tire that is going to spend 95% on the pavement and 5% on fire roads (camping and fishing trips, maybe some bouncy ride once a year if we can find some trails in NJ)? Sequoia does have 4x4 and upgraded 17" wheels from the stock 16" wheels.
Everything you say says buy a set of P-Metric passenger car tires, not LT floatation tires.
P-Metric are rated for ride and noise.

ExpoMike

Toyo Open Country A/T III Ride nice, quiet, work well on street and dirt. Put them on my Cherokee.

MuckSavage

Adventurer
I'm also from NJ (south). I currently have Falken AT3W on my Commander. I don't think I can comment on the noise because the vehicle is so insulated. I previously had Nitto Terra Grapplers on it & I was happy with those. I had General Grabber AT2's on my previous Cherokee & was pleased with them. I too frequent the sand/fire roads of the Jersey Pine Barrens. All 3 of those tires are fine.

jbaucom

A Michelin Defender LTX M/S or slightly more aggressive Continental Terraincontact A/T would be just about right for the conditions you describe. If you want a 3PMSF rated tire, then the General Grabber APT is the Terraincontact A/Ts close cousin that caries the 3PMSF rating. Just air down if the road/trail gets too tough.

rruff

Explorer
I used to have a full size truck with Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 tires

I have those and like them a lot... great MPG also.

In addition to the Michelins I think the Nitto Duragrappler is worth a look:

DuraGrappler.jpg

Reactions: WVI

WVI

Adventurer
When I had my Ram 3500, the Duragrappler was the best of the tires I used!
They served me well both on and off road.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles