Tire pressure question for BFG KO2 users

MiamiC70

I am running 245/65R17 BFG K02s on my 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited and want to know what the recommendations are for air pressure both for big and around city as well for off-road use. Subaru Outback GVWR is about 5,000lbs and I know what Subaru says it should be for my car based on factory OEM tires and rims using “P” rated tires 34 front / 36 rear. I’m looking to see what real world tire pressures are being run by guys using BFG KO2 “LT” tires.

alanymarce

We ran our BFGs as follows:

City and highway unloaded - 32 psig all round
City and highway loaded - 32 psig front/34 psig rear
Gravel and dirt roads - as above
In mud - as above
In sand - typically 22 psi all round unless this turned out to be too much, then dropped pressure to 20 psig or maybe 18 psig, but never lower.

This was on an LC80, a bit heavier, but I'd start with these pressures if I were driving your vehicle.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
I hope this answers your question, at least sort of.

I have a 4 door Wrangler. No lift but does carry a little extra weight. I have K02 in 285/70/17. Around town, 32 seems to be a good pressure. Not too hard and not real mushy.

On the trail, if I'm not being lazy about airing down, I'll drop the pressure to 20. This softens the ride quite a bit and gives a little more face to the ground. I've gone down to 15 a few times when I need to go up some slippy rocks, but I tend to stay off that stuff so it's rare.

I have had them for about 20K miles and rotate every 5K. So far, they are wearing just fine.

Grassland

I had LT235/80R17 load E on my 2014 F150 3.7 and running 48 front 52 rear (1000# in the truck) it actually wore out the center tread notably more than the edges.
That was around 6800 # combined GVW
I'd try OEM pressure for on the street and maybe chalk the tires to be safe.

Smileyshaun

Observer
A word of caution the lower psi you go the more likely you can pull a tire off the bead . It’s not really a huge problem if you have a couple ratchet straps and a air compressor to get it back on .

dman93

Adventurer
I’m running 36-38 psi cold on the 265/75-16 E rated KO2’s on my Tacoma. About 35K miles on them, never rotated (I’m lazy) and pretty even wear with lots of tread left ... I’m sure they’ll go 50K. My truck is basically stock, just sliders and recovery gear, plus camping stuff on trips so probably well below GVWR. Not sure if that’s relevant to a much lighter Subaru ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles