Tire options for heavy duty 17 tire?

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
You know, I don't remember since that was 2001-2008. Probably the KO's. Can you tell by looking at the tread of the left tire?

RegCab, I would jump on a set of Tradesman 18", 18x8 steelies in a N.Y. minute.
jefe

moose2367

There's a company here in Oz that is about to get some 37x13.5R17 in an all terrain rated to 4300lb(1950kg) each, 131Q rated, 160kph. Release is in July/August.
I'll be getting a set i think, if the price is reasonable, i go through tyres, especially the rear, higher HP and wheel spin does that

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Moose, since most tires are now mfgr'd in China, whatever they come up with will generally be available world wide. The 37 inch size lets out most truck camper users, unless they have a lift and/or some fender clearancing. A friend had major clearancing on his 20XX Dodge Ram 3500 SRW; changed to 4.56:1 gears in the pigs all to run 42 inch tires. I rode in that truck, at speed across the desert, and it was a terror, and ou could tell that the tires were running the show. The downside was the miserable mpg and very wide track width with that set up. Not conducive for overlanding. These are my Cooper AT3, 35 inch, 315/75R16's on 10 inch wide Stockton steel wheels @ 20 pounds of air after our trip up the drop off. When going up the dune, more of the weight transfers to the rear axle making a wide wheel all the more important for floatation.

jefe

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've ridden in two Score support trucks. One Chevy and one Dodge. Both qclb 3500's with upgraded suspension systems,heavy steel flatbeds,two spares,tools etc.
These trucks are 10K#+ easy.
Formerly Toyo was there sponsor. Rock solid MT's.
Along came BFG supporting them with BFG KO2's. Way more drift and squirm.
Premature wear too.
These trucks are an anomaly but that's their experience. Your results may vary.

I’m looking at the Nitto Ridge Grappler. They have a 4K E rated in several sizes but not sure about 17”. Have a look. They get great reviews and I’m stoked on the rating as I’ll have a 3k camper on my F350 Diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Currently the hot ticket is the Toyo AT2

I much prefer narrower tires for foul weather travel, so I stick to the metric version of Toyos 35", that comes in at roughly 11" wide.
Load E Toyo AT2 285/75R18 (34.8 x 11.2) that carry a 4080lb per tire load rating

Narrower also helps fitment as I refuse to lift a truck, especially one that is to haul heavy.

The 285/75R18 fits without any modification on the super duty, and does not rub at all.

Wheels are rated at 3700lbs as I recall, but with this combo the tires will allow me to run a considerable lower pressures anyhow, based upon my projected weight (with flatbed and camper)
At the very heaviest projected wet weight (12k), each corner would be seeing just 3000lbs

3000lbs on these toyos equates to just 50 PSI

For added safety Ill probably run closer to 60 PSI at such weight. 60 PSI places the load capacity at 3340lbs per tire, that would be good for more than 13,000lbs

2011SD001.jpg

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Considering axle ratings for every full size available, it should never be.

Hence the safety margin via additional PSI.

Point is, even with wheels with a lesser rating, you are still in the green.
All the while having tires that can support the weight at a lower PSI.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
No experience with the Nitto, but the "extreme" version of the AT2 are a touch louder than the KO2 on the blacktop.

Though IMO, the AT2 is superior in every other category than the BFG, especially on a heavy truck, that includes wear.

The KO2 seem to wear like iron on smaller rigs, but not so well on heavy full size rigs.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yea, I was just quoting specs.... I have never actually heard of a wheel failure due to overload.... have you?

Btw, toyo at2 now makes an F (12 ply vs E rated 10 ply) rated tire at the same load capacity 35 x 12.5 x 18

No worries :)

Wheel failure isnt totally unheard of. But is rare.
But wheel weight ratings are something I respect 100%
Just not something I would choose to ignore.

Overloaded tires will start telling you when they are overloaded and destined to fail.
A wheel overloaded to the point of failure would fail in a much more spectacular way.

Also, one of the biggest reasons I went to the high capacity load E (vs the F) was the ability to run at a lower pressure.
This improves ride, as well as traction.

I have to assume that the load F is considerably more rigid than the E.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Besides a bigger truck?

:p

Seriously, if you are already over the GAWR of the rear axle, you need more axle.
And with that much weight on the rear, you are asking a lot from LT tires, especially if you are SRW

What vehicle is this?

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
David, what axles do you have in the "E" currently? Are they front Dana 60 and rear Sterling? If the Sterling it's a pretty stout axle. If you are upgrading it, you might consider going straight to a Ford Dana 80 with disc brakes. Dana's own recommended capacity is something like 12,400 pounds, plenty enough for an "E". If you are running a diesel under the bonnet, they have a history of eating rear Dana 70's no matter the platform. However, the D-=80 does hang down there and you must drive in a manner to miss things like this:
I got both front Dana 60 and rear Dana 80 pigs high centered on this innocuous looking rock outcropping and had to back up and take a different line.

And, where would you put a 4K pound load in a Van? Lead ingots?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
FYI, I currently have the new truck in the shop prepping for a custom flatbed, and did a quick fitment check for the full size spare.
Im going to do a 5-tire rotation with the new setup, so fitment is crucial. Im also extending the chassis a bit, so a test fit was in order.

The Toyo AT2 in 285/75R18 fits just fine in the stock location. I lost a bit of clearance, but the added diameter of the tires on the ground more than made up for it over the stock size.

I do plan on moving it back some, as I will have the room, and would like to see a bit more clearance between the tire and the exhaust heat shield, but for those that are interested in the fitment of a 35" tire on a 2011+ super duty, here you go. Also included a snap of the wheel and tire combo on the scale.

SD00023.jpg

SD00024.jpg

SD00025.jpg

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Good luck on the frame extension. I was reading through the suggestions on PBB and while there are some very valid suggestions, they would not have worked for me on my extension as the shackle mount was too close to the end of the frame on my truck. I see that you have a bit more frame to work with on doing a "Z" cut. I thought about moving my spare tire mount back, but just didn't have the time and it would have been some major work for my truck. My current 34" fits fine and I think when I move up to 35's, I will be good to go as well. Can't wait to see the updates.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles