tire help!!!!!

ok guys, just traded my wheels for a set of steelies and brand newish tires, one was out of air for a month or so, now there on my hoe and its leaking on the side wall about half way inbetween the tread and the bead, its only about 1/8 inch long, is there anyway this can be patched??? is it safe to run a tube for long term???? the tires are 33.12.50s on 15 inch chevy steels

zjsheller

Observer
ok guys, just traded my wheels for a set of steelies and brand newish tires, one was out of air for a month or so, now there on my hoe and its leaking on the side wall about half way inbetween the tread and the bead, its only about 1/8 inch long, is there anyway this can be patched??? is it safe to run a tube for long term???? the tires are 33.12.50s on 15 inch chevy steels

Would NOT patch it. It will not stay long term. Patching a sidewall is a temp/trail repair only.
Especially being a 6ply 33x12.50-15 tires have a lot of flex in the sidewall and will generate too much heat for the patch to adhere.
Tube is not a good alternative IMO, as a sidewall injury has a tendency to zipper and the tube will not help with that.

Good luck!

bob91yj

Resident **************
I agree that any patch or repair would be temporary at best. I'd keep it off of a steer axle if you must drive it on public roads before you get it fixed.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
got it fixed, tire shop vulcanized a patch on, he said itd be fine

Might be fine. I know guys who have that done on thier trail rigs.

Some hold, some don't. It's common on semi tires (non steer axle) as they have duals, and always run street pressure.

Not sure I'd care to run down the freeway on one.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I truly think you are getting some good advice here. I'd at least put it on the rear axle (if it's not already), I'd keep an eye on it, make sure the patch is holding. I'd still replace the tire as soon as possible. Save it for use as a full size spare.

If you think a new tire is expensive, you're really not going to be happy with a flat in the middle of no where. Still going to have to replace the tire, plus what ever other damage it caused to your rig and any others you may have affected when the tire let go, add in tow charges, etc. You see where I'm going with this. Welcome to vehicle ownership!:sombrero:

i have all i need to change a tire in the truck, i also have 2 spares, one off rim one on, both are for 16s not 15s, neither are the same size as the 4 on the truck

bob91yj

Resident **************
<heavy sigh>

I forgot, you're 19, still have all the answers.

A little life lesson, then I'm going to shut up and leave you alone. When you ask a question, and get the same answer from several people with no opposing views, there is a fair chance that the keyboard wheelers answering you might have a clue.

I've got to give you credit for at least looking for some answers on your own. I'm new here, but been around the block a time or two in the real world. Lot's of smart people here with good information from what I've seen.

What part of southern GA are you from? I was born in Albany.

poriggity

Explorer
progittiy,
you dont know me, im 18 and working 2 jobs to pay for my job, so, please, man up and mide you own damn self

I'm just saying. The vulcanized patch on the sidewall is NOT safe. I understand working two jobs. I do it too, and have for a while, as well as going to school full time. All I'm saying is, to do it RIGHT, you need to buy a new tire.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Yea, put it on the back. Blowing a back tire at speed just makes noise and a rough ride - blowing a front tire at speed can toss you into the next lane.

ExpoMike

No good tire store I know of will even think about patching any tire with a sidewall cut/hole. Heck they wouldn't patch one I had that had a nail at the very outside edge of the tread. They said too much heat and flex, it would not hold for long. Since I had the tire warranty, the replaced it with a new one with no $$$ out of my pocket. Trust me, had they thought it would be safe to do, they would have and not had to buy me a new tire.

Start checking Craigslist for someone selling some take off tires. Might be a cheap way to get a safe replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94