Tire Help

lax71vcu

Adventurer
So as most of these tire threads go I have searched and looked at most of the posted threads here and on other jeep sites.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish with my tire choice...

1. No Wheel Spacers- for stock 17" JK rubicon wheels
2. True 33 inch tire (a bit more would be ok Just no rubbing)- I have synergy 1" springs so I am 1.5" taller than stock
3. I want to stay as skinny as possible- I don't want to worry about rubbing at flex when disconnected.
4. True All Terrain or Mud Terrain Tires- Yes I actually use them :)

So far I am interested in the:

1. 255/80/17 BFG KM2's. I am a bit worried about the E rated tire.
2. I have considered getting low cost 16's and this would allow a cheaper tire in the 255/85/16 variety However I have to purchase a set of 5 rims so that negates the money saved getting a lower cost tire.
3. Also Considered just sticking with the 255/75/17 BFG KM's and getting some Rubi take off's and saving some $. My current BFG KM's have 92,000 on them and they are the original tires (5 tire rotation)

I have looked and looked at a variety of tires sizes mostly in the BFG KO variety and the sizes are just not meeting my needs. Either too wide or too tall.
I would really appreciate some input to get a good tall skinny tire that will last and perform well. I like some of the Cooper offerings but again no 17 inch tires that meet my needs.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
You are seriously limited in choices in that size.

We had major balance problems with the BFG 255 MT's, ended up getting them replaced after two months. Never got them to settle in even after multiple attempts at balancing, including individual rim to tire matching. We now have a set of Falken WildPeak 285/70-17's on the Jeep. They have proven to be a tough tire off highway, yet do very well for the 85% highway miles the Jeep sees. While not a great mud tire, they have done great in dirt, sand, snow, gravel, and everything in between.

Sent via gigawatt laser...

b1pig

i have 285-70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my '07 JKU Rubicon. I started with a 2" spacer lift and went to a used set of OME 2.5" coils. you shouldnt really have to worry much about rubbing. the 285-70 works out to 33"x11".

199826_1608679812899_2374509_n.jpg

this was with the 2" b/b and the spidertrax wheel spacers. it looks close on the right rear, but it doesnt rub.

no matter what you decide to go with, do NOT be affraid to toy around with the bumpstop spacers. that is what truly keeps the tires out of the fenders. if you are still using the factory air dam under the front bumper, some people have to trim the rear/outter edge depending on tire/wheels.

lax71vcu

Adventurer
Crawler and B1Pig-

Are you guys running wheel spacers (spider trax etc....) Wheel spacers with the 285's?
This is what I am trying to avoid.

Crawler- That tire sounds great! I like the idea of a tire doing well on the majority of surface substrates it will be used on. I don't have to have a mud tire. I just threw that out because I have the KM's now and the ideal tire size I want (255/80/17) only comes in the BFG KM2

I looked at 275/70 R17's This may work....Any body running 275/70 17's? Any rubbing issues? Are spacers needed?

Last edited:

gfe jeep

Take a look at cooper St T's. They wear well on pavement and are great off road. I have 33's on my wife's fj, and 37's on my jk.

lax71vcu

Adventurer
I just found out from a little birdie that Cooper is getting ready to release the Discoverer ST Maxx in the 255/80/17
Fingers Crossed they come sooner rather than later!
:wings:

wanabxtrm

Observer
I've stuck with getting cheap rubicon takeoffs this time around after getting similarly high mileage out of my original mudd terrains. I will add that I've gotten the second set siped which so far has improved the on road wet/snow performance of the tire noticeably, with no negatives yet. I couldn't pass up the choice of 5 basically new tires and rims over the equivalent cost of three brand new tires (and that doesn't consider adding in tax, mounting, shipping etc for new ones).

I'd say save the money if they work for you, there's basically an endless supply of cheap replacements out there on forums/craigslist.

griffman

i have 285-70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my '07 JKU Rubicon. I started with a 2" spacer lift and went to a used set of OME 2.5" coils. you shouldnt really have to worry much about rubbing. the 285-70 works out to 33"x11".

199826_1608679812899_2374509_n.jpg

this was with the 2" b/b and the spidertrax wheel spacers. it looks close on the right rear, but it doesnt rub.

no matter what you decide to go with, do NOT be affraid to toy around with the bumpstop spacers. that is what truly keeps the tires out of the fenders. if you are still using the factory air dam under the front bumper, some people have to trim the rear/outter edge depending on tire/wheels.
For what its worth I love my Terra Grapplers as well. I cannot speak for the size issue, mine are bigger and wider then you want, but they perform how I want them to. My dad has a set of Copper Zeon LTZs for his LR3, not sure if they are available in the size you want but he likes them more then his Goodyear MTRs. Both have a an All Terrain tread pattern but they clear pretty well in mud, something I cannot say for the MTRs. Hope this helps.

skates04

Adventurer
Any chance you would consider going to a 15inch rim? When I went to 35s I went with a 15inch wheel, Level 8 Tracker Alloy wheel from discount tire (Not a cheap steel wheel) It was cheaper (100 bucks cheaper on a set of 4) for me to by 35s and new rims in a 15inch size than buying tires in a 17inch size. You would save money and be able to get the proper backspacing... My 35X12.50X15R MTR's actually measure 33.75" Gets you to about where you want to be height, but sounds like they would be much to wide for you.

I have a 4 dr rubicon> with 410 gears what gears are you running and what tranny? I have an ome lift and am running spacers . I am running Falkens wild peak in a 285 70 17 which measures 32.7 These have been very good in everything but wet snow with mud underneath. have no had them in deep mud. rocks sand in Anaza Borrego and snow in big near and they were fine, I am now looking at Kelly springfields all terrain which looks pretty aggressive for an all terrain tire. But i don't want a lot of road noise. The Falken reall spoiled me. Other wise thinking a about a cooper at3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94