Tire Deflators - What Do You Use and Why?

85_Ranger4x4

I use these, by Lisle: https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/tire-deflator-set

Without driving a few hours, or seeking out a dedicated off-road park, we don't have any forest service roads/trails that require airing down for traction, so I air down very rarely. These were cheap, compact, and reliable. I keep them in my console tray, along with a tire pressure gauge.

That is neat, Lisle is half an hour from me and I had never heard of those before.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I have 2 sets of ARB Gauges and Deflators and I have some generic copies that read up to 70/75psi which I swear are made in the same factory as the ARB versions, I also have a cheap set of 4 screw On deflators which are a bit slower then the ARB type Core Remover deflator, I have found all of ARB gauges to be very accurate when compared with 3/400$ Calibrated Gauges, 2/3 years ago I did a comparison between over 20 Gauges and only one ARB Gauge was out by 1 psi which was easily corrected.

The ARB Low Pressure Gauge Is a great bit of kit and the gaps between the measurements are big enough to set pressures within a 1/4psi.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
To fill em back up I use the ARB Portable Compressors as I can take one from Vehicle to Vehicle, The portable Twin will take a 37" tyre from 15 psi to 35 psi in 90 seconds,

67cj5

Man On a Mission
How about 15 to 55 psi?
Never tried it that high but I'd guess it would do a 37" in about 2.5 minutes, It does not slow down when it is filling the Tank to 180psi so I would think 55psi would not slow it down at all,,

I tried it on a 29" tyre LOL and it was done in just over 20 odd seconds :love::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Hamiamham

I use trailhead deflators. Somewhat similar to Staun but more compact. Once you dial the trailhead deflators in, they will consistently deflate a tire to within 1-2psi of what you have set. I’ve had mine for a 10+ years with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drrobinson

I tried the ARB deflator, but ultimately I went to the Staun’s. I like being able to walk away while they do their business.

I used to verify pressures every time, but they were so reliable, I just trust them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geoffff

Observer
I tried J.T. Brooks Automatic Tire Deflators PRO (ATDP4) -- which were pre-set to about 32 PSI -- the last time I went out on the trail. They made farting noises and let *all* the air out of my tires. ? I'm not super excited to try them again.

I think I'll stick with my cheap keychain deflators. I just walk around the van screwing on one at a time, do another pass around checking them with my pressure gauge, and finally take them off in order. Works well and is fast.

keychain-deflators.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
There's another active thread right now that's reminding everyone to periodically inspect their tires for unusual cracks, etc. and my mind immediately came back to this thread. This is one of the reasons I like the cheap keychain deflators - the walkaround and a little time spent squatting at each tire is an excellent opportunity for a quick inspection of tire condition as well as nearby suspension parts, etc.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I started this thread relating to using Stauns for years. This past weekend I had the opportunity to use the ARB Valve Core Removal Deflator, and I was quite impressed. It was easy to use, very fast, and very accurate. Also, while only a minute or two is available, it does give one a chance to look over the tire as described above by Herbie.

I would say that as of right now, I'm pretty happy with the ARB deflator and don't wish for my old Stauns anymore.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I have 2 ARB E-Z Deflators and 2 generic copies I swear were made in the same factory and I also bought a cheap set of those screw on deflators that came with a 100psi gauge in a case, and I just ordered another set from another company just to see if they are as good as the other set,

ARB Gauges seem to be about the best and most accurate at a sensible price too, I also have a set of Longacre Racing Pro Gauges I use to calibrate other gauges with But I have never had to touch any of my ARB Gauges fingers crossed. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles