Tire Deflators - What Do You Use and Why?

OllieChristopher

I started this thread relating to using Stauns for years. This past weekend I had the opportunity to use the ARB Valve Core Removal Deflator, and I was quite impressed. It was easy to use, very fast, and very accurate. Also, while only a minute or two is available, it does give one a chance to look over the tire as described above by Herbie.

I use the "Boulder Rapid Tire Deflator" similar to the ARB. I can't justify the expensive ones for the amount of off road travel I do. It takes me just about 10 minutes to defate all my tires to a workable off road pressure.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I use the "Boulder Rapid Tire Deflator" similar to the ARB. I can't justify the expensive ones for the amount of off road travel I do. It takes me just about 10 minutes to defate all my tires to a workable off road pressure.
There is a about 3 pressures you need for airing down and one for very extreme use, Which is why the ARB E-Z Deflator is the better option, using the Staun type deflators air mainly for single use/Pressures.

In Iceland because they run 44 X 15 X 15/16 and bigger they will Air down to about 2psi.

OllieChristopher

Interesting. I'm happy I'm not into that hard core of off roading. My setup is perfect being used in conjunction with my spin on TPMS caps and ViAir 400P. As you can see mine is almost the exact same thing as the "ARB E-Z Deflator".

BFA77531-23A8-4787-965F-1B90A83551C3.jpeg

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Interesting. I'm happy I'm not into that hard core of off roading. My setup is perfect being used in conjunction with my spin on TPMS caps and ViAir 400P. As you can see mine is almost the exact same thing as the "ARB E-Z Deflator".

View attachment 667264
Yep thats the type you need, They are the best design.

You need differant pressures for dirt roads and again for rough track and then for Sand and then I have an extreme setting for Snow and real fine dusty Sand.

OllieChristopher

For me I stick to 32f/36R on pavement, 20 front and rear for forestry roads, 18 front and rear for rocky, and 15 for sand. On my bikes same pressures for pavement and all over the place depending on if I'm rolling certain knobby's with Tubliss or UHD tubes.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I started this thread relating to using Stauns for years. This past weekend I had the opportunity to use the ARB Valve Core Removal Deflator, and I was quite impressed. It was easy to use, very fast, and very accurate. Also, while only a minute or two is available, it does give one a chance to look over the tire as described above by Herbie.

I would say that as of right now, I'm pretty happy with the ARB deflator and don't wish for my old Stauns anymore.
Dibs if you decide to off them.

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
I use the longer metal valve extenders. You know, the ones that are about 1.5 inches long and cost about $5 for a box of 4. Just put the tip in a vise, press the center piece down and tighten the vise enough that the center piece stays down. The tips will be a bit oval so grind them to a round shape that fits your tire gauge. After you remove your valve caps screw the metal extender down and the air will come gushing out. I do two wheels on one side of the Jeep at a time. Pretty easy, quick and inexpensive. Save your money for gas or other things.

I've been using these for years. Best thing is that because they are soo inexpensive, you will never lose them.:unsure:

Vince

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I really like using deflators but the ARB type or Generic versions are very accurate but the best part is using the ARB Twin Portable to inflate them afterwards, I prefer the ARB Blue inflator Gauge but I also have the Red 200psi digital one as well and the ARB Low Pressure Gauge is awesome if you are using normal tyre pressures between 0 psi to around 40+.

The Longacre Gauges are the last word in Gauges and are accurate to within 0.25% and have 1/4psi measurements.

Charles R

Adventurer
The Longacre Gauges are the last word in Gauges and are accurate to within 0.25% and have 1/4psi measurements.

Funny segue... I carry a $300.00 Longacre gauge in my Jeep. I didn't buy it for the Jeep though. For much of my life I worked with Road racing cars. This über fancy gauge records air pressures, and with the probe that plugs into it, tire temps. It's 3000% more tire gauge than anyone would EVER need wheeling! Haha! But since I already owned it, and I don't work with race cars anymore... Into the Heep it went! lol.

(Looks like the price went up! Hmm... Maybe I should sell mine after all! Ha)

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Funny segue... I carry a $300.00 Longacre gauge in my Jeep. I didn't buy it for the Jeep though. For much of my life I worked with Road racing cars. This über fancy gauge records air pressures, and with the probe that plugs into it, tire temps. It's 3000% more tire gauge than anyone would EVER need wheeling! Haha! But since I already owned it, and I don't work with race cars anymore... Into the Heep it went! lol.

Yep they are a work of Art, I was going to order the one you have but they did not have it in stock, If you check on Longacre's web site most of their Gauges are out of stock due to high sales, But they are the best.

I have the 4-1/2" Pro 0-60psi and the 3-1/2" Magnum 1-15psi both are accurate to 1/4psi

The 4-1/2" Pro is Huge, it has 1/2psi readout and 1/4psi Accuracy, and the 0-15 Magnum has 1/4psi readout and is accurate to 1/4psi which is Ideal for Argo ATV's or Icelandic Trucks that run 38/44/46" Tyres where they airdown to around 2 psi +/- 1 psi.

67cj5

Man On a Mission

For the same gauge as yours they charge a whopping £788.32 or $1111.53c which is more than double the price of what Longacre charge.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
That's just nuts!
(he says while boxing his gauge up to spend to a family friend in England... ;) )
I have 2 complete sets of the ARB gauges but my favourite gauge is their Low pressure gauge which goes from 0 to 50psi with 1 psi resolution and it is as accurate as my Longacre gauges but not the same build quality but they are good, The Low pressure and the E-Z deflator are 2 must have items they are both within 0.2 psi or less which is a surprize because the LP gauge is the cheapest one in the range,

OllieChristopher

This is what I have and it's pretty darn capable at recording accurate pressures and tire compounds. If I was racing for serious money then that fancy Longacre would prove useful. As it is my Longacre Shore A Durometer has paid for itself when buying motorcycle tires. And my QuickCar air pressure gauges are of consistent accuracy when tested against my air compressor gage.

56AB1CC8-192D-468B-8C84-387A5F3263C7_1_201_a.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles