Tire decision block!

PTB

Observer
Hi all,

My LR3 has the stock 19" and I use it as a daily driver. When I put the current tires on I bought more road oriented ones. The plan was to later get a set of used, stock 18's and put dedicated offroad tires on them, swapping back and forth as needed. Now is the time to pull the trigger since I'm going on a trip to Death Valley soon. Tough on tires. Prefer not to lift.

Now I am facing sticker shock and a dilemma whether the improvement is a good cost value. I guess my most basic question is whether the jump from Light Truck/SUV to All-Terrain to MT is a good cost value.

Options:

275/65/18 (32.05") Cooper Discoverer STT, Hankook Dynapro MT RT03, or Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar for a price per tire $267-300 (plus shipping/mounting)
Concerned about cost, and clearance. Some report they can rub, but indicate its minor. Probably about $2,000 all in. (wheels and tires and misc.)

Or

A whole range of All-Terrain tires in various sizes. I could do a whole post on just these options. Probably $1,500 all in (wheels and tires and misc.) Since these would be primarily offroad I'm leaning towards best tires and size for dirt. Thoughts on the sturdiest?

Or

Stick with what I have $0

I'm on research overload!

PTB

Eniam17

Adventurer
If you're getting a set just for off-road use and gas milage/road manners don't matter, I would go with an MTR if you see a lot of wet stuff. Where I am, that's a no brainer but it depends on what kind of terrain you are on the most. Did you find a set of 18" LR3 wheels for 800 bucks?

Blueboy

Adventurer
Have GY MT/Rs (265/75-16) on my Rangie and so far have performed well in multiple terrains.

No doubt they are loud on the highway, yet, no more so than other MTs I've had in the past.

And they balance really well without excessive weights.

PTB

Observer
Thank you both for your comments.

Still not sure on the tires to choose, but there don't seem to be any MT's smaller than 32" on an 18" wheel, and that would require a lift. I think I am going to go with 265/65/18 (31.56") Reports are this size will have very minimal, if any, rub. Also there is a lot of variety of brands/prices available at that size.

Eniam - There is a set of 4, 18" , 5-spoke wheels on ebay right now for $599 plus $145 shipping. I considered those, but ended up piecing together a set of 5 in a different style for about the same price. The ones I ordered have 10 spokes and are the "hollander" style I think.

Last edited:

dino2000

Observer
duratrak

i have the GY Duratraks on my RRC. i dont use it everyday but im surprised at how quite they are. work better than expected off road too.

rolando

Observer
I have the Cooper STT on my Jeep (in a different size, 14k miles so far) and they work pretty well on road, off road, in rain. I haven't used them in snow, but I have read that this come soon to us here in the Northern hemisphere.

They have a noticeable humming on the road and are heavy (load class E). I recommend them, and if these 5 are down, I will buy them again.

PTB

Observer
Thanks for all the input everyone.

Cmb63 - your comments are the same as I have gleaned through my web research.

I finally pulled the trigger on a set of General Grabber AT2 in LT285/60/18 (31.46"). The other finalist was Cooper Discoverer 265/65/18 (31.56"). Ultimately, the deciding factor is the LT rating on the Grabber in this size. My understanding is LT tires are sturdier. Particularly the sidewalls. With destinations like Death Valley in mind I decided to err on the side of durability. Lots of sharp rocks out here in CA. So I'm hoping the price jump is worth it.

LR Drew

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Cmb63 - your comments are the same as I have gleaned through my web research.

I finally pulled the trigger on a set of General Grabber AT2 in LT285/60/18 (31.46"). The other finalist was Cooper Discoverer 265/65/18 (31.56"). Ultimately, the deciding factor is the LT rating on the Grabber in this size. My understanding is LT tires are sturdier. Particularly the sidewalls. With destinations like Death Valley in mind I decided to err on the side of durability. Lots of sharp rocks out here in CA. So I'm hoping the price jump is worth it.

Hello, I am looking at switching to 18" wheels as well. I am very interested to hear a review of the General Grabber AT2 in 285/60/18. I've been searching a lot on the web regarding different tire size, what will rub or not rub. The answer I find are what's already mention, as you get close to 31.5" there maybe minor rubbing. However not a lot of people mention what happens when the truck is in access height with a 285/60/18 tire or 265/65/18?? Can you still drive or are you stuck? My LR3 is my DD so there are time I need to put it in access height for underground garage.

Also I like to know that I can still drive (on pavement) even if in bump stop. I am leaning on 265/60/18 (30.5") or the stock size 255/60/18 (30.05") for that reason. From my search, I found a thread from landroverworld.org where a person say he was able to drive on pavement "in bump stop" with a brand new 275/65/18 (32.1") tire with no rubbing... can anyone confirm this?? http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-22428.html

I want to have the biggest tire I can get without lift but also not so big that there is no clearance "in bump stop". I might even consider the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure in 255/60/19 (31.1") but the 109 load rating worries me a little.

Mack73

Adventurer
265/65 is the largest you can go. I ran them for 2 years at stock height. Johnson Rods website is wrong in this regard (unless they mean absolutely No rubbing at any height).

It will rub on the inside front of the fender liner at access if you turn the wheel all the way.

Mack73

Adventurer
PTB: Please let us know how those tires work out regarding the rubbing factor. I just recently purchased my first LR3 and the tires are pretty much shot. I am looking at doing the same thing you are... finding a set of 18" wheels and fitting some 285/60/18 tires (likely Cooper Zeon LTZs). However, I have the rear climate control and am slightly worried about rubbing into the heater hoses. :(

Don't worry too much, you won't rub through the rear heater lines with a 285/60 or 265/65

Jwestpro

Explorer
My understanding is this:

265/65/18s - I honestly don't know, but the Johnson Rods website lists Johnson Rods as being "required" to run these tires. :p

Sounds to me like JR trying to worry people into buying their product. 265/65x18 works just fine on stock lr3. I have about 90,000 miles experience with 3 different aftermarket sizes and while 275/65x18 just about works, it absolutely rubs even in straight line driving (at the rear wheel inner front fender liner) when the vehicle lunges through highway dips or suspension compressions like over speed bumps.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Don't worry too much, you won't rub through the rear heater lines with a 285/60 or 265/65

There is however a body metal flange under those humps too. On the right side the hoses snug up against the flange but the bump in the plastic fender liner is still required due to the body metal flange that sticks out about 1".

The hoses can be moved/relocated though...... and the flange flattened.... and lots of clearance gained as per my recent mods to both this and the front wheel tight spot. :sombrero:

Jwestpro

Explorer
Now I am facing sticker shock and a dilemma whether the improvement is a good cost value

You get what you pay for....

I first used Nitto Terra Grappler. they were ok.
I've tried the newest GY Duratrac. It seems great, the only one I'd even consider competing with the BFG AT but the sizing of the GY is problematic. Loose your air suspension and you will be absolutely stuck.
I have a been using the BFG AT on 3 different rovers. On my lr3 which weighs more than most, I have so far been able to get over 60,000 miles on a set with 1/4" depth still remaining. I have them siped for better rain/snow traction.

Mack73

Adventurer
There is however a body metal flange under those humps too. On the right side the hoses snug up against the flange but the bump in the plastic fender liner is still required due to the body metal flange that sticks out about 1".

The hoses can be moved/relocated though...... and the flange flattened.... and lots of clearance gained as per my recent mods to both this and the front wheel tight spot. :sombrero:

Yeah but (at least with my tires) I barely kissed the rear humps and never wore all the way through. So while you will rub a touch, you don't need to do any modifications here to prevent damage with 265/65

PTB

Observer
I had actually preferred to get a set of 265/65/18 size-wise, but could not find any LT rated tires in that size. Ultimately I went with the 285/60/18 because the I could get an LT. I'm glad to see the comments here seem to confirm my understanding that with either size I can expect little to no rubbing.

Any experience with the General Grabber AT2 on the LR3? Thoughts on the LT v P rating?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz