Tire Changing on a Full Size Truck

Carlyle

Explorer
I'm looking for a safe and dependable way to lift a corner of my 14,000 lb vehicle for tire changing, putting on chains and help getting un-stuck. I talked to ARB, and the left bags are simply not rated for a vehicle of this weight. My Hi-Lift is not rated for this weight and is an accident waiting to happen with this size vehicle anyways. The factory jack is a joke...

Any suggestion?

Desert Dan

Explorer
Maybe try a hydraulic bottle jack or a small floor jack that you can put under the axle and just lift the wheel enough to change the tire?

Geronimo

Observer
I like a air powered bottle jack. Compact and powerful, of course you have to run a hose. I like this one. Of course cheeper versions are available, but you know how that goes. Oh and the BTW love your build.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
An 5-7 ton hydraulic bottle jack from a reputable manufacturer. You don't have to lift the whole truck, not even 1/2 of it but thats the number I use, and add some safety margin. You could probably get by with a 3-ton but they might not have sufficient lift range.

michaelgroves

Explorer
A bottle jack is fine for tyre changing, but it doesn't solve your problem for recovery when you're stuck. Not that I can see an ideal solution for that...

Bogo

Adventurer
Welcome to the world of industrial equipment. There are lift bags that will lift your vehicle. They are just more expensive and not as widely sold. Same goes for jacks too.

As for hi-lift jacks. They are an accident waiting to happen period.

Carlyle

Explorer
I have already talked to people selling Paratech and similar equipment. Their prices are obviously geared to government budgets and not mine...

The air assisted bottle jack is a nice idea, but it would be difficult to use on uneven terrain. With 4x4's, a jack and a mat can get you out of most sticky situations, at least until you hit the mud.

Carlyle

Explorer
I like a air powered bottle jack. Compact and powerful, of course you have to run a hose. I like this one. Of course cheeper versions are available, but you know how that goes. Oh and the BTW love your build.

BTW, thanks for the kudos!

kerry

Expedition Leader
I use an air assisted 20ton bottle jack on my Bluebird Wanderlodge and a standard smaller bottle jack for my Fuso.

Bogo

Adventurer
For the farm I have short, medium, and tall 20 ton bottle jacks. All hand pump. The short is only 5" tall and has 4" of lift. That is enough to allow me to get the medium one under. I don't think I spent more than $80 on any of them.

You can also get bottle jacks that are two stage, but they usually cost a bit more. I got one for my mini truck. It's overkill weight wise with an 8 ton capacity, but it is the same height as the stock mini truck one and lifts almost as high.

A thing to note on many bottle jacks is they must be used vertical or close to it. This is because of the hydraulic pump system in them. Some can be used on the side if the pump is down, but with many that will still mess them up and pump air into the cylinder area.

bat

Explorer
Your vehicle weighs 14000lbs but you are not lifting 14000lbs. I would think a 3 to 4 ton bottle jack would be fine per corner. My bottle jack has a built in jack stand just incase it fails it cannot come down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94