Tire Chain Thread

billiebob

I used a set of Konig self tensioning chains on my Sprinter van. They saved my ass a few times on city streets but I tore one off while in 6” of snow on a forest road. Too much torque and must have caught a rock or something causing a link to bend open resulting in the chain being useless. I tried to use one of the repair links they came with and that busted off as well. They’re just no good for anything but blacktop.

I highly recommend them for paved roads where you need to put them on/off for short trips or temporary situations. For anything else, get heavy duty off road chains from Pewag, Rudd etc

View attachment 700732
yep, those look like a great, inexpensive, easy to install solution for a rarely needed application.
We had them in the 1970s so we could go skiing. Never used them but had to have them. Man I miss ski trips in a Z28
Bruce Z28 2.jpeg

But there are better, more reliable solutions. When I need chains, I want them to be bulletproof so I buy the same chains these guys use.

The cross links on my chains are same design as the crosslinks on this guys chains. They should never break for me.
ps he doesn't start moving for 30 seconds .... and this is his 4th attempt.... he backed up onto the wedge 3 times already.
Next time I'll video the night version.... when sparks are flying off the chains.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
So, has anyone used the peerless “auto tensioning” cable things? I’ve been thinking about upgrading my chains, and hate the bungee style tensioners. I was about to order a set of old-school cam tensioned chains and came across these others. Real world experience?
Yeah I have a set and they are great and they Auto Tension, There is another thread here somewhere where I posted them and the Video.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
These are mine, If you watch this video as the car pulls away you will see the tensioners self adjust,

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

billiebob

These are mine, If you watch this video as the car pulls away you will see the tensioners self adjust,

Hope that helps.

Those are cool easy to use for a simple light FWD car.... but for an overlander with 4wd and some gear.... No.
ps..... those are about the same grade as the chains we never used to go skiing in the Z28.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Those are cool easy to use for a simple light FWD car.... but for an overlander with 4wd and some gear.... No.
ps..... those are about the same grade as the chains we never used to go skiing in the Z28.
yeah Commercial Chains are a bit more H/D, mind you, The Company did recommend them for my Ford Transit, But for the blacktop and graded dirt roads they are fine,

Still love that picture of your Jeep in the Snow, (y)

sargeek

Adventurer
I just ran across this video on YouTube and it shows the value of chains. It shows what appears to be a stock Rubicon vs some highly modified rigs going up a relatively safe hill. Now imagine the hill being a highly exposed shelf road at 9,000' . I would also suggest that the Rubicon has traction to spare and could actually pull a trailer or vehicle up the road. The other truck are lucky to make it themselves.

Rubicon w/ Chains

One of you smarter people can figure out how to insert the video

Red90

Adventurer
Off road. V bar ladder chains with two or three cam tensioners are the best. Quick to put on. Indestructible. Lots of traction. Just make sure there is clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke