Tire Chain Ladder

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
P1190923.JPG

(above)I was cleaning out the garage and I found a set of tire chains, cables actually...One thing I have on my list of things to do to the Sprinter is to find or make a ladder to the roof...

P1190924.JPG

(above) I removed the cross cables I didn't need...A stiff, thin prybar and some hand strength are what's needed to get them off...

P1190925.JPG

(above)For steps I found some scrap conduit...

P1190926.JPG

(above) It turns out that 3/4" electrical conduit fits over the cross cable ends, perfectly...

P1190927.JPG

(above) After passing the cable through the pipe, the cross tie "things" are repositioned and hammered closed with center punch and a heavy hammer...

P1190928.JPG

(above) About a half hour invested so far...

P1190929.JPG

(above) The plan is to hook the ladder over my roof racks...Plywood is the easiest way for me to fab most things...Here are the rack hooks...

P1190931.JPG

(above) Major assembly done...

P1190932.JPG

(above) With the nylon cords, it super easy to adjust the overall length...As it is, it is an eight foot ladder...

P1190933.JPG

(above)I can reach the roof rack (barely) standing at the rear door and on my tip toes...The plywood hooks get dropped over and there it is...Roof ladder...

P1190934.JPG

(above)Hooks over rack...

I need to do one more simple things before I 'll call it done...It need a strap between the bottom stem and the step bumper to keep the ladder taught...If not, it's like a ladder up to a trapeze...

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
creative re-purposing there sir...
I like it and looking forward to hearing how it works out after a few months of use

bfdiesel

Explorer
Creative. What keeps the rungs from sliding down the cable? Is the plywood your final hooking device? What ties the plywood to the cables? Kinda looks a bit scary.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
It's a bit of an experiment at this point...

The rungs are "peened" onto the cables...I think they are sturdy enough for occasional use...I've been up and down a few times, bounced on 'em...They feel secure...

The ply hooks have a hole with some super strong cord that came with my hammock going between the hooks and the cables...The cables also have a hole at their ends...A simple overhand knot in the rope is at both ends...

Abitibi

Explorer
Have you considered tying the bottom? If not I bet it will be a challenge climbing up/down ;)

Cheers
Mr. D

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Design Change...

P1190936.JPG

(above) Instead of trying to further improve the cable ladder, I built one from some scrap chain and other stuff that has been around the house for a while...

P1190937.JPG

(above) The treads are 1/2" electrical conduit...They slip over a 12" piece of 'all-thread' with a nut on the outside...The all-thread ends were peened to keep the nuts from spinning off...To keep the chain ladder from swinging while on it, I opted for a simple cord to hold tension on the chains...

P1190938.JPG

(above) Up top, a 3/8" nylon rope keeps the chain off the metal and is knotted to the chain and the plywood rack hooks...

P1190939.JPG

(above) The rack hooks...I went up and down a half dozen times and I can say, it's solid and will get me up and down no problemo...

P1190940.JPG

(above) It all fits in the tire chain box too...!!

hayduke1

I like the idea,and it looks good, but why not replace the chain with rope and the cross bars with plastic so you can use it with the rear doors closed without damaging the paint? I picture hanging mine from a roof basket

Willman

With my weight...(260)..I would dent the top of the rig for sure. Great idea on re-using an old tire chain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94