Tire and Wheel Options Needed

usnrigger

Observer
Okay, so doing a bit of research and looking at tire and steel wheel combination for fj60

I like the look of the OEM FJ40 15x5.5 and hub caps, but I see manufactures are getting limited in the tires they produce for these. BFG 33x9.5r15 are listed on website but I don't see any if all that have them in stock, looks like BFG AT's and DEAN MT's are about the only ones in this size, with a few others.

Id like to run 16" rims for better tire selection and load rating. I have seen the Toyota 16" Split rim but don't see anybody carrying them and get the feeling its going to be a hunt to find a set of 5 or 6. I know they are heavy and do have plus and minus to them. the weight doesn't really bother me just need to know I can find them and not cost me a arm and a leg.

Is their a way to have a 16" version with hub caps, I can TIG on the clips if I could find correct and good donor rim that is easy to come by. I have seen the FJ/TACO steel with holes but the BS is different and I really don't want to run spacers. I like the tall skinny look and from research looks like the 33" is the go to height size.

Thanks for help and pictures are always welcome

Expedition Leader
Don't know about your 16" options, but BFG and Toyo still make 33x10.5x15 tires in AT and MT. Fits fine on stock 40 wheels. Tons of guys run these (myself included).

usnrigger

Observer
Didn't know Toyo had shoes in that size but they do indeed list them. I looked this afternoon and couldn't find the BFG MT anywhere and read they discontinued them. I then looked for the BFG AT and they do list them but couldn't find any of them listed or in stock. I saw Dean made a 33x9.5 but haven't heard reviews of these compared to other brands, or how good suppliers could get tires.

Just wanted to make sure getting tires wasn't going to be a "those will be backordered till next year" type thing.

Expedition Leader
Well it's been 2-3 years since I bought the BFG KM2's that are on my 40 now. I guess it would pay to ask at your local dealer if they can get them or not. I bought mine at Discount Tire. I've run the Toyo AT and MT tires on other trucks and they were very good tires too, and lasted nearly forever.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Avoid the split rims. Dangerous!!!!!!

16 are nice size however. Let you go bigger on the brakes is so inclined. There is a 255 /85 /16 that works out to a 33 that several manufactures make.

usnrigger

Observer
He's I've used the tire size before and I can usually find them pretty easy.

A good steel rim in 16" is really what I need to find, looks like a 3.25-3.5 on the BS. If I could find a rim that I could weld in the clips and run 40 series caps that would be ideal. Anyone know a company that can make them? I've heard Stockton went under. A 16 also gives me E load rating

hamishpotter

Observer
I have SCS F5s on my 80. They're great, light, solid aluminum and don't look too techy imo. Ive seen them look good on 60s as well

usnrigger

Observer
Well funny you posted those pictures.

I contacted BFG directly and they do not make a 33x9.5r15 tire anymore either in the AT or MT.

I have come to the conclusion that im just need to run 16" and throw 255/85/16 at the old girl. I found 16" Tacoma steel wheels, I think from the factory spare tire. They look nice, from what I read are constructed good and will only need to run a 1" spacer, i think they are 16x7 steelies. i was planning on seeing if i could add the clips but now my question is answered and i have a good plan.

Summit Cruisers Jr

I would be very interested in those wheels if they are in fact 17". Any real information to contact the guy who owns this truck would be really appreciated.

If they are off the Fj Cruiser, they are 17x7.5. I bought 5 for ~$300 not too long ago but ended up selling not them as I went a different route.

usnrigger

Observer
From my research both 16" and 17" steel wheels in 16 hole style was offered from Toyota for the spares. The 16" comes from certain year Tacoma's and he 17" I believe from FJ's. the 16" have 18mm offset so a 1" spacer should get it GTG on a FJ60

I will probably just go with 16 and run a 255/85r16 most likely Cooper S/T's

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Avoid the split rims. Dangerous!!!!!!

Actual "split rims" are an accident waiting to happen and tire shops won't touch them.

The Toyota version and the few that are still out there on semi trucks are "multi-piece rims" per DOT and OSHA. The rim is solid, not split and has a "lock ring" which is basically a snap ring.

So long as the rim and lock ring are in good condition and the person well trained, they are not dangerous.

I put myself thru college working in a truck stop tire shop. This was in the 70s when tubeless semi truck tire only had 10% of the market. The rest were tube type on multi-piece, flat based rims. I broke down and reassembled hundreds of multi-piece without any problems.

The one that nearly killed me was a tubeless on a solid, drop center rim. One bead blew all the way off the rim with 65 to 70 PSI in it and launched the tire/rim assembly like a rocket.

If you have any Toyota "split rims", I'll take them off your hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94