Tire Advise Please

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
My truck is in need of new tires, but I am having trouble deciding what to buy. My F350 weighs about 7000lb empty and up to 11,000lb fully loaded with camper and gear. I am looking for some advise.

Here is a little history:
The oem tires were 265/75-16 load range E, highway tread Pirelli Scorpions. I replaced these as soon as I bought the truck with BFG AT's. The BFG All Terrain's (295/75-16, Load range D - 3415lb @ 60psi) had about 70% tread left (after 15,000km) at the begining of my Australia trip, these tires did not stand up to the punishment of high speed travel over rough tracks in Cape York (lots of sharp rocks and corrogations). One tire got a 6" split in the tread and all of them were missing significant chunks of tread. I replaced them (in Australia) with Goodyear MTR's (285/75-16, load range D - 3305lb @ 60psi). The MTR's were fantastic off-road but were prone to punctures (3 flats, 2 tires replaced under warranty), noisy on pavement and have worn out very quickly (they are worn out after 40,000kms).

I would like to stick with the 285/75-16 size and get an all-terrain tire that will last at least 60,000km and is good in winter conditions. BFG now makes an E rated tire in this size (3750lb @ 80psi), but I am not sure how much more durable they will be than the D rated tires, especially since I will probably never run them at 80psi!

Does anyone have experience with E rated BFG 285/75-16's?
What about Cooper STT's (D rated 3305lb @ 60psi)?
Can anyone recommend another E rated tire in this size?

Cheers
Mark

Bergger

Explorer
asteffes said:
Bridgestone Revos get rave reviews and are available in C, D and E load ratings.

When I had my Trooper I had these tires and loved them. I may go back to them on my Tacoma once my MTs wear out.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
asteffes said:
Bridgestone Revos get rave reviews and are available in C, D and E load ratings.

Thanks, I had not considered this tire, however the Bridgestone site only shows 285/75-16 available in load range D:(

Bergger

Explorer
OutbacKamper said:
Thanks, I had not considered this tire, however the Bridgestone site only shows 285/75-16 available in load range D:(

I started looking around and it's actually hard to find that size in an E range. Easy to find a 265E. However, I found two. The BFGs, which you don't sound too keen on trying again, and the Nitto Terra Grappler. I have never run these tires but have heard good things about them. They are priced fairly well too.

img_terra_3.jpg

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I think its more an issue with your particular needs. I am actually about to put a set of E's on my Tow rig. My needs are a little different though. The best three rated tires on Tirerack.com in the size I need (265x75x16 E)are The Michelin LTX, The Bridgstone REVO AT and the BFG AT's. The BFG is the most offroad biased followed by the Revo and the LTX. For my Needs, more hwy tire for the 2wd tow vehicle, I am going with the Michelin because I know I can get 50k out of them like the last set and Costco has a $60 Rebate on a set of four. That rebate is also good on the BFG's but with this being a 2wd I think the BFG's don't fit my need as well.

I think the BFG AT's were probably your best choice tire for your needs and wants (quiet, good winter weather and best off road traction). The Revo would be my next choice. You have tried the BFG...give the Revo a Shot. Its rated as one of the best of the D and E rated tires as far as I can tell.

The Rating between D and E is mostly caucus construction. Chunking of the tread I don't think will be any better and since the carcass is stiffer I would not be surprised if it wasn't worse since the sidewalls are going to be more stiff. Might be a little more resistant to punctures and carcass damage.

Its a tough call for a heavy vehicle.

Evans

2 guys at my work each ran Yokahama Geolanders on their F-350's and got good milage out of them.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks everyone for your input.

Bergger wrote: "I started looking around and it's actually hard to find that size in an E range"
I am having the same problem. I think I want to go with an E range tire this time. I also want a fairly aggressive tread AT, or a mild MT since the truck is soon to give up its daily driver status. I did find these in an E rating, they look similar to the MTR and Cooper STT, but have the higher rating (3740lb @80psi). Has anyone had experience with these?

13369.jpg

Toyo MT

Cheers
Mark

86cj

Explorer
I have three of those tires mentioned on my vehicles.

98' Chevy dually (11,000 lb w/12' slide in camper)
Michelin LTX M/S 265-75-16E front
Michelin LTX A/T 235-85-16E rear

Zr-2 Blazer:
BFG A/T 31x10.5x15C

04' Jeep LJ:
BFG A/t 33x10.5x15C
Goodyear MT/R 285-75-16D

I have found that the Michelin LTX are not the greatest tire (contrary to sales hype) it is a step down in strength from a true steel carcass such as the XPS rib or traction tire. I have warranteed a few of my LTX's due to multiple large bulges of the side wall (common problem they said). At your load You should really watch the tire pressure (not to low) for tire damage even at the expense of some offroad performance and street ride...

I think the BFG would have been the best choice for long tire wear and sidewall strength.You are a tough case for sure. My MT/R's seem to be even stronger in the side wall than my BFG's but would not last long on my dually,tread to soft.

By your comment about never running 80 psi, I am thinking with load range E and a mind set to keep pressures up a little more than in the past you will see better life from what ever tire you choose.

AZCPP

Adventurer
OutbacKamper said:
Thanks everyone for your input.

Bergger wrote: "I started looking around and it's actually hard to find that size in an E range"
I am having the same problem. I think I want to go with an E range tire this time. I also want a fairly aggressive tread AT, or a mild MT since the truck is soon to give up its daily driver status. I did find these in an E rating, they look similar to the MTR and Cooper STT, but have the higher rating (3740lb @80psi). Has anyone had experience with these?

13369.jpg

Toyo MT

Cheers
Mark

I have Toyo Open Country A/T's and I am very pleased with the Toyo's. I have put 20,000 miles on the with very little wear. We take the truck off road every weekend and have had no flat's or leak's of any type. I run them at 20psi on the dirt and 30-35psi on road. I didn't research your size but I do Know Toyo's have Load Range E for many of their sizes. With your loaded weight, I wouldn't even think about not running Load Range E tires. My Toyo's are L.R. D, but I don't weigh near what you do. I had BFG A/T's before the Toyo's and they were at 50% in 10,000 miles.

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
Kamper

10K lbs load is not a job for passenger vehicle tires. What I suggest is use REAL TRUCKING tires, like the 19.5 wheel/tires. They are normally in the load range F or G, using either 12-ply or 14-ply and they are regroovable (meaning, there's a whole lot of meat in the tread). The problem with this is: manufacturers of 19.5 wheels for our stock Ford or Chevy/GMC truck hubs are rare (but one of them is Rickson's Wheels) and expensive. I don't doubt the 14-ply laod range G tire could take the rough terrain abuse that the BFG AT/KO can't take.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles