Tips for Truck Camper

flounder

Hello,

I am looking for anyone with experience with the smaller truck bed campers. I have a 2013 F-150 short box and have been considering one of the small 1/2 ton rated truck campers (Four Wheel campers, Palamino backpacker, or Adventure 80RB). My main concern is my truck has 7200# GVWR and curb weight is listed at about 5600#. This leaves 1600# difference and most of these campers are very close, or already over that when optioned out. Then add myself, dogs, and all the gear for things like snow and what have you. I have been told that with some upgraded suspension and tires I would be fine but might be upward of 1000# over GVWR. Anyone out there have experience with this kind of thing? I plan on upwards of a year road trippin N America and want to have warm fuzzy this set up would be more than solid for the task. Hoping for some relatively light off roading to get into some more remote areas.
Thanks for any input

shade

Hello,

I am looking for anyone with experience with the smaller truck bed campers. I have a 2013 F-150 short box and have been considering one of the small 1/2 ton rated truck campers (Four Wheel campers, Palamino backpacker, or Adventure 80RB). My main concern is my truck has 7200# GVWR and curb weight is listed at about 5600#. This leaves 1600# difference and most of these campers are very close, or already over that when optioned out. Then add myself, dogs, and all the gear for things like snow and what have you. I have been told that with some upgraded suspension and tires I would be fine but might be upward of 1000# over GVWR. Anyone out there have experience with this kind of thing? I plan on upwards of a year road trippin N America and want to have warm fuzzy this set up would be more than solid for the task. Hoping for some relatively light off roading to get into some more remote areas.
Thanks for any input
One of the many wedge campers would be significantly lighter than the ones you mentioned, and the AT Overland Atlas is a new, full pop-top model that might work for you. 360 lbs.

1573790057533.png

Last edited:

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I have an (old) FWC Grandby shell with DIY buildout. With 180# me, a 30# beagle, camping gear, 2 weeks supplies and 12 gallons of water, the camper weighs (CAT Scale) 1560#.

7920# (loaded truck and camper) - 6360# (empty truck, me, dog, 32 gal gas) = 1560#

Wrathchild

They’ll build the shell exactly how you want. Interior stuff will be on you. Quality construction. Full vertical walls for more interior space. No “shelf” cutting into the interior like the project M. Nearly king size bed(69”x80”) on my Sierra 1500.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I ran an ATC cougar on a 2011 Ford SuperCrew Platinum with airbags and upgraded E range tires. Took it over a ton of Colorado dirt passes and thousands of miles with zero issues. Do it and go have fun.
DSC_3375.JPG

blackdmax15

Observer
Not to hijack Flounders threat but the AT shell would be awesome if it flipped forward like the old flippac toppers did. I’d be sold.

shade

Not to hijack Flounders threat but the AT shell would be awesome if it flipped forward like the old flippac toppers did. I’d be sold.
Not easy or cheap, but Jim Bob did just that.

motoboss

Bad Influence

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
Not easy or cheap, but Jim Bob did just that.

Yup you can see more of it here:

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
My advise would be to start with a 2 door cab/chassis and do a custom build from the chassis up using fibreglass sandwich panel.
Fewer compromises, lighter weight and lower CofG.
A forward control vehicle will give more living space in a shorter vehicle.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier