Tips for cleaning motor? 22re full of grime and yuck

v_man

Explorer
I've never cleaned under the hood , what needs to be covered and what can take a little water ? I'm guessing air filter, fuses , relays , and electronics should be covered ... anything else , distributor , spark plugs?

I was going to hit it with some engine degreaser and the pressure washer ... any other tips ?

IMG_4114_zpsdrntun9a.jpg

IMG_4115_zpsl26zmqvc.jpg

IMG_4113_zpsfegujqc5.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
I use to use gunk engine degreaser until I found out and used purple power. It's cheaper, you get more, and it doesn't stink for days after. Walmart carries it for cheap, even in a five gallon container. Like said above spray and let it sit for an hour or so, or overnight. I've always used a pressure washer under the hood with no problems. From my tundra to my little 22r and everyone in between. Just do not hold the water on one spot for long, use quick strokes. Should turn out great!

I do this a lot as a part of my business so I feel I have become a pro.

Purple power will remove some of the gold iridite plating if left to sit too long. I use it all the time, but I only let it sit long enough to get the entire engine bay covered with it, then I pressure wash everything. Also, if you spray it on the silver plastic stickers, like the pretty one on the front of the valve cover, it will destroy the label.

You shouldn't have to cover anything or protect anything, but be careful not to spray high pressure directly at electronics like the TPS or the AFM. I have gotten those wet before and damaged them. You may get water in the distributor cap, but that is easily cleaned afterwards.

After cleaning, start it up immediately to quicken the drying process.

You may want to scrape the heavy junk off with a putty knife or wide screwdriver before you wash it. That helps a lot.

toyrunner95

Explorer
ok so a few months ago i detailed my car and my buddy told me this trick, its super easy and works amazing.

go get a can or two of foaming gunk. spray everything and get it nice and foamy. then close the hood and start the truck and let it run, let it get good and hot at idle and it will clean everything. the brackets, the plastic, the metal, everything. anything that the gunk touched will be clean. so make sure you get every where. you dont even have to spray it off.

DVexile

Adventurer
I thought steam cleaning was the preferred method? Not done it myself but that's what mechanics and detailers have done to my engines in the past. Also thought that was what dealers did prior to selling trade ins.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
A steam cleaner is just a heated pressure washer, it dissolves grease and gunk without solvents much better. If I did a lot of motors or construction equipment I'd have one.

But solvents and a cold wash or other methods (wiping, scrubbing) can get stuff just as clean.

I use a two gallon bug sprayer, one gallon hot hot tap water and one gallon Simple Green. Spray everything let it sit a bit aggitate it with a brush and rinse with a garden hose. Be sure to remove your skid plates so the gunk doesnt build up down there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94