Tips for a possible purchase? 1997 Disco 63,000 miles

mowerman

Adventurer
Rust - take the rear carpet and sound deadening up, check boot floor, rear arches especially around seat belt mounting points, front inner wheel arches, sills, body mounts especially ones along the rear cross member (look from underneath up to the body mounts sort of behind the bumper mounted lights), headlight boxes, chassis are normally OK.
Did I mention rust? :)
Dunno what trim level it has but check for ABS light on dash and functionality, airbag warning light etc.
Run through the transfer gearbox - alot of road based Discos never come out of 4Hi so the linkage can be frozen.
Good luck and have fun

L

long dong silver

Looks like a good find if it is rust free, but why is there no trim on the rear passenger quarter panel?

L

long dong silver

Looks like a good find if it is rust free, but why is there no trim on the rear passenger quarter panel?

ok, that panel is bugging me. The rear quarter has been replaced with a 95 or older panel. See the trim mounting holes that should be there on a 96+? The paint looks slightly off and I'm betting the antenna is missing from that glass. Check that corner of the vehicle closely.

panels1.jpg

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
The suspension looks bad. In my opinion it is sitting in inch or so low.

I would not pay more than $2000 for this truck.

L

long dong silver

looks like a stock D1 to me. Even when new they sat lower than a series 2.

discoveries.jpg

from left to right

OME HD+1" spacer, OME HD, stock 97 5 speed around 150k

now that one in the list has those god awful looking boost wheels. Sell that crap to a defender owner and put some 5 spokes in either flavor.

Last edited:

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
look at the back. You could stick your fist in between the tire and wheel well in your pic. The one on craigslist not so much in my opinion.

Attachments

• 3Kb3N33H85O05Fb5H1d4uf4534965cb541b83.jpg
    3Kb3N33H85O05Fb5H1d4uf4534965cb541b83.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 10
L

long dong silver

look at the back. You could stick your fist in between the tire and wheel well in your pic. The one on craigslist not so much in my opinion.

maybe, but thats a $300 problem. The interior is mint compared to 99% of the craigslist discos out there.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Agree. But I don't know if it's a $4000 truck.

Maybe the D1's are making a comeback and I am behind the times

L

long dong silver

I think we are getting close, seems most of the really clapped out D1s have been parted out by now. I might see 1 other D1 on the road a month in a city that has at least 2 Rovers at each intersection at all times.

Eniam17

Adventurer
My first thought was that something is not right with the suspension either. They don't sit that low. It looks like it's either sagging really bad or it was lowered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94