Tincup and Cumberland Passes

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
After driving/hiking Mt. Antero I was left with two choices either A.) head back home or B.) continued on and explore Tincup and Cumberland Passes. We'll the later of the two was the choice and I'm glad I did as I was able to visit some areas of Colorado I've been waiting to see and found some more roads and hiking trails to explore. The one downside was the amount of SxS, atv's ad dirt bike traffic at Tincup Pass either coming up or down and some frustration with trail etiquette.

Looking at Tincup Pass

View to the descent side down into Tincup.

Looking back up at the pass.

Imbuere

I drove past this over the 4th and wanted to make a detour. I know where I'm going the next 3 day weekend!

dreadlocks

Just got back and did a bunch of recon for future trips, Pitkin Campground was almost full thursday night, Gold Creek Dispersed had tent sites available with lots of private property on the way, Middle Quartz only had a couple people, most sites open and tons of dispersed going out to it, and Quartz was almost full..

I think next time I go out there we'll hit up Middle Quartz, its a bit rough but I should be able to get my trailer all the way back there just fine if I deflate its wheels.. lots of great dispersed sites with lots of area for my 10yro to work on his motorbiking skills in less hostile terrain.. Pitkin CG wont let u ride OHV w/out a drivers license, learned that the hard way.

Get a good map of the area and there's a buttload of marked trails in the area, we picked a less popular mining road randomly and had a great time, encountered no other traffic on the single track trail.

ps: no water, stage 2 fire ban.. might as well do dispersed, but we had a birthday party that grandpa had to get his Caravan into.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz