Timing chain cover

MOAK

Adventurer
I'm getting ready to fix the only oil leak I have on my LX450, the timing chain cover gasket. My only apprehension about this project is the removal of the phillips head screws. I've heard some nightmarish stories about these machined phillips head screws. My plan is to use an old fashioned impact driver/remover, in which case I must remove the radiator to get a good whack on it. However, I have two questions.. I've heard that some late 96 FZJ80s began using allen heads, is this true? and,, is utilizing an impact really the best way to remove said screws? This will be my first project to accomplish after my retirement, I'm looking forward to a bit of grime under my nails.. Thanks

Expedition Leader
Land Cruisers don't use Phillips head screws; they use JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) heads, which are NOT the same thing. Buy some JIS screwdrivers made by the Japanese tool company Vessel.

MOAK

Adventurer
OK,,, looked that up, great advice,,, what size will I need? I've found its always good to have two or three in the box just in case of breakage... thanks

Expedition Leader
OK,,, looked that up, great advice,,, what size will I need? I've found its always good to have two or three in the box just in case of breakage... thanks

Get several different sizes, including some larger ones. I use a larger size (don't remember how they're numbered) for the ambulance door hinges and windshield hinges on my Land Cruiser; YMMV. Also, you won't have to worry about the Vessel screwdrivers breaking; they're quality tools made with good steel.

My 96 had the phillips-style screws, and I havent heard of a 1997 with allens... so unfortunately, I think they are all the same. TWO of my screws came out using a #2 phillips bit on a 1/4" drive ratchet. The rest had to be extracted. Huge PITA job, unfortunately.

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
phillps can work, but you want one that fits tight. it can be done without taking out the radiator.

use a pick, clean the crosshead very well. take a tight fitting phillips bit (not screwdriver, a bit for a driver) and put it in. wrap it four or five times in rapid succession with the side of a heavy hammer. put a 1/4 drive ratchet and socket on the bit and loosen (don't use a larger ratchet because it's too easy to put too much extension torque on it and strip the screw). when you've gotten the five (iirc) screws you can get to, then i do the starter bump to loosen the crank nut and finish off the bolts in the oil pump cover.

don't forget to change your front main while it's apart to do the oil pump seal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles