timelapse how-to?

michaels

Explorer
i'm rebuilding my engine this weekend and want to set up a time lapse with my nikon D80. i've heard of people using graphing calculators to keep it taking pictures every thirty seconds or so. but how should i go about this? i'm clueless!:Wow1:

thanks!

spressomon

Expedition Leader
M D300 has an interval timer setting in the Menu. I'd be surprised if the D80 doesn't have the same. Have you looked?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
my workflow

Time Lapse Workflow
Nikon D200s and Photoshop

The Cameras:
The Nikon D200 has a built in intervalometer. Set it to shoot a picture at a rate you choose, and for how long. You can even set a start time.

Camera settings that I have found work better. I turn the in camera sharpening on, color space to sRGB, and the file size to normal jpeg. When shooting, I manual focus the lens, set a white balance (unless the camera is going for a couple of days) and prefer a slight bit of motion blur so the video is not “choppy” when played with tack sharp stop action 1/1000 images. I think Shutter Priority controls this well if manual exposure will not work. (That choice is based on length of the time lapse)

Shooting Choices:
I think the better looking time lapses have several views and focal lengths cut into one movie. I will set-up the two Nikons and then use my Canon on a tripod for a third view, just pushing the shutter every 30 seconds or minute. I can add a fourth camera on a tripod or Super Clamp, firing it with the #3 Canon and Pocket Wizards.

Making The Magic Happen:

1. The menu choice. 2. Select a Start time or Now

3. Select your interval. 4. How many shots, I just choose 999

5. Select On and BE SURE TO HIT THE ENTER BUTTON ON THE CAMERA!

Making the Movie: Using Photoshop CS4 Extended or CS5

1. Move all the images into a folder. If you go through and edit out bad frames (someone walks in front of the lens, etc) rename all the files in Photo Mechanic. Photoshop doesn’t like gaps in the file names.
2. In Photoshop, File > Open > and browse to your folder
3. Select the first picture in the folder > at the bottom of the box, check the Image Sequence box > click Open
4. Select a frame rate. I prefer 6/10/12 fps. This all depends on the subject, how many images you have and how long you want them to play.
For example. Say you set the camera to shoot a picture every 30 seconds for 6 hours. At the end of the hour you will have 720 frames. (120 frames per hour x 6 hours) If you choose 12 fps you will end up with 60 seconds of video with your 720 pictures.

5. You now have a movie opened in Photoshop, Go to Window > Animation if you want a playhead
6. File > Export > Render Video > Check your settings. I prefer h.264 for bringing it into Final Cut to put together the final.

Links for Reading

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/an-introduction-to-time-lapse-photography
http://timelapseforum.com/tutorials-f17.html
http://timescapes.org/phpBB3/index.php

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
No d80 support

Sadly the d80 does not have the built in ability....

Capture software and tethering to the computer will work too.

The rest of the options require ordering something and you want it this weekend...

good luck!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Wow Jay, thanks for the very informative post. I had no idea Photoshop could do this!

BTW, for those without Photo Mechanic, you can use Bridge to batch rename also.

ywen

Explorer
when doing time lapse, make sure to set your camera to turn off the LCD preview to reduce battery drain. You are only limited to the number of shots your battery will allow

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I forgot...

Wow Jay, thanks for the very informative post. I had no idea Photoshop could do this!

BTW, for those without Photo Mechanic, you can use Bridge to batch rename also.

I forget everyone doesn't have Photo Mechanic... ; )
I started using Bridge this month too... The renaming is only because PS sometimes didn't like out of sequence file names, but that step is not always necessary. Quick Time Pro is what I used till Leopard or Snow Leopard and QT Pro didn't play well together...

One final note, I just produce a timelapse using JPEG files from a Nikon d7000. Even on a big desktop, Photoshop couldn't render the video, so I had to batch re-size the files, but that is an easy step using actions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94