Time to travel... International Travelall

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Anybody know who the photographer on top of the white one is? Or how about the guy that John Wayne is talking to? Cool vid. I just sent a pick of one to my friends a few night ago, commenting on how I'd like a pre 68.

ktn00000

Observer
That is awesome! I learned to drive on a Travelall when I was 12; later I owned a '75 1110 4x4. 4 speed compound low, 392, 44's at each end. I paid $300 for it and it had a dent in each body panel and a crack in each and every pain of glass. They all had terrible brakes and terrible gas mileage but tons of torque and great gears

They came with a straight six, 304 V8, 345 V8 and a 392 V8. There at the end a few came with AMC 401's.

It must have been NICE, KTN! I was only old enough to ride with my Dad in his Scout 80 in the early 70's. I never thought to get an IH vehicle; of course, in those days, it was out of sight, out of mind, and I had no idea that IH had shut down its Light Line business until a few years ago when I first became interested in getting a Scout II.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Growing up, I had the pleasure of being close friends to a family that owned a crane company (Still very close with them by the way). I learned to drive his fathers diesel Scout as a sixth grader in that crane yard.

It was an awesome "Play Ground" to grow up in. His father was my first introduction to diesels. We would be down there just about every Sunday while his father prepared for the work week.

whistle pig

cool trucks. Dad had 3 different ones while i was growing up. Had everything from canoes to bicycles strapped to the top. Even put my Honda dirt bike in the back. Neighbor had one of the Scout II with the Diesel. I loved that truck! He finally sold it for way to much than a 17yr old could afford. You dont see many of those IH on the road anymore...:ylsmoke:

Expedition Leader
Used a Travelall to haul motorcycles at the shop I worked at in 1973-75, good solid truck, weighed a lot and the brakes were not great but it always did the job and was very reliable. I wish that IH still made consumer trucks.

ktn00000

Observer
Yep, used to put my dirt bike in the back of the Travelall we had when I was a kid. Drop the handlebars and it fit right in.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Hey J.

I saw the International for you. I was driving back from LV tonight and looked over in the big town of Midas and spotted a (I believe) a pre 1968 (the rounded body style) crew cab short bed truck. Looked pretty solid on quick glance, tucked beside someone's house. I saw it and thought of you. Project time. Let's load up the trailer and plan a recovery...

Jack

Quill

Adventurer
They were cool. They did have weak spots but so did many of those days. The oil crisis of the 70s killed them. Jeep barely survived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles