Time to travel... International Travelall

beast1210

Adventurer
I miss my travelall, but that is my next project, in fact I have a IH 6.9 sitting in the garage just waiting for the right Travelall project.

Old Blue drove like a Cadillac

2505743480102479871S600x600Q85.jpg

The original Beast

2178228920102479871S600x600Q85.jpg

belkar

This summer my wife and I decided we needed a vehicle big enough to go camping in. We wanted something that was good offroad, could seat 6 or more and, and was reliable. We have 3 children and all that comes with them. I also like to have room for a bike or to when we camp.

We used to have a '96 Discovery that was 2 out of 3... We moved to CA at the end of last year and I hoping to find something smog exempt. I spent some time looking for an FJ-55, but wasn't very successful. My dad found a good deal on a Travelall in near LA. My Grandpa had plowed snow for years with Travelette. Granpa's gone, but the Travelette is still plowing snow in Alaska. It has always been super-reliable.

To make a long story short we drove down at the beginning of Sept. and picked up a '73 Travelall with a D60 with disc brakes on the front, full floating D60 rear, ARB air lockers front and back, and a Warn 8274 on the front bumper. It needs lots of little details, but it's in okay shape. I took off the 37" hmmwv tires and put 235/18/16's on it. Now it can turn to the right. If only the 392 would get better gas mileage. So far the only part to fail has been an after market tank selector valve.

trav.JPG

Is there any way we can get a sub forum "International Harvester" set up here beside the other brands in the right place? The people who are here are in general very different from those who are on IH-specific forums.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Is there any way we can get a sub forum "International Harvester" set up here beside the other brands in the right place? The people who are here are in general very different from those who are on IH-specific forums.

Ooohhhh. A sub forum for all of us "special" people who own Internationals. Me likey.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
This summer my wife and I decided we needed a vehicle big enough to go camping in. We wanted something that was good offroad, could seat 6 or more and, and was reliable. We have 3 children and all that comes with them. I also like to have room for a bike or to when we camp.

We used to have a '96 Discovery that was 2 out of 3... We moved to CA at the end of last year and I hoping to find something smog exempt. I spent some time looking for an FJ-55, but wasn't very successful. My dad found a good deal on a Travelall in near LA. My Grandpa had plowed snow for years with Travelette. Granpa's gone, but the Travelette is still plowing snow in Alaska. It has always been super-reliable.

To make a long story short we drove down at the beginning of Sept. and picked up a '73 Travelall with a D60 with disc brakes on the front, full floating D60 rear, ARB air lockers front and back, and a Warn 8274 on the front bumper. It needs lots of little details, but it's in okay shape. I took off the 37" hmmwv tires and put 235/18/16's on it. Now it can turn to the right. If only the 392 would get better gas mileage. So far the only part to fail has been an after market tank selector valve.

View attachment 79064

Thats a nice rig. I remember seeing it for sale on Ebay. IHonly made some nice modifications to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier