Time for Some Suspension Parts

PaintRock

Adventurer
Well, after almost 19 years and 176k+ miles, my lower shock absorber bushings in the front seem to be just about gone. The right front is now making some metal-to-metal contact squeaks. I'm trying to keep this rig very well-maintained for at least two more years. But I'm not really looking to upgrade it at this point. I'm considering either Bilstein 5100s at all four corners, or Bilstein 4600s, which is what came with it from the factory. Obviously the stock Bilsteins have been very reliable. If I go with the 5100s, I'll probably put them on the second or third notch. Has anyone had any problems with the 5100s? The way the ride height adjusts seems a little Mickey Mouse to me. An extra inch or two of clearance up front would be nice, especially since I'm sure my stock coils are sagging at least a little bit. But what I really want is to maintain maximum dependability. Are there any other similar options I should be looking at? Old Man Emu maybe? They don't have anything for Gen 1 Tundras on their website, but maybe Tacoma-specific stuff would work?

smokeysevin

Observer
I never had an issue with the 5100s on my truck when I was running them. If I were going that route I would not hesitate to buy them again.

Sean

Watt maker

I never had issues with the 5100’s on my 4runner set on the third notch. Ran them for roughly 70k miles before I decided to upgrade to the 6100’s. Quite a few off-road miles on the 5100’s and never had an issue with them other than they seemed to fade a little on really rough, fast fire roads. I would definitely buy them again.

beef tits

FWIW I ran 5100s and the bushings wore out in a couple years. I doubt you will get another 186k out of anything other than factory OEM parts.

Interestingly Bilstein warrants their shocks for life (if I recall) but that warranty does not cover bushings and rubber parts.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Aftermarket shock bushings tend to wear out quicker due to their stiffer valving so it not only beats them up quicker but you also notice slop in them sooner .

PaintRock

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think will go with 5100s all around. Now I just have to decide if I want to tackle the install myself. I already have the hardware soaking in PB Blaster...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles